Author Topic: Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong  (Read 2561 times)

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • I might return soon? I dunno
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
Re: Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:42 pm »
I'll allow Kynvuu to help you for now, and if that doesn't work then I will happily contact you via dA. c:

A'ight, thank you so much! :3 I'll PM you if needed, if you don't mind :3
Oh jeez, uh, I haven't been online in forever. I joined in 2012 lmao, back in the old maps, forgive me for not knowing my way around.
My in-game username is FirecrackerTNT (previously known as amythealpha), but can also be found on lpslover. I used to also be found on the account Amythenightwatch, but I think the account was deleted??? oops lmao

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:32 pm »
Sure, no problem! Hope this makes better sense!
Alrighty, well I start with both my mane and mask files open. Using the select tool, I select the entire are of the mask and copy it over onto a new layer above my existing mane layer.

Then I use my magic wand tool (Or any tool that will select only one color) to select the whole black area of the mask.

Then I right click on the image and hit "Select Inverse" You may have to search the toolbar at the top of SAI to find this option, not quite sure how it works.

Once the inverse is selected, I go over to my original mane layer, and then hit the delete key, which will delete the mane in the transparent area of the mask, which is what we want.

After that, you can simply delete the black mask, as it is no longer needed. I like to go over the pointy triange area with a smudge brush to *slightly* smudge it. If you smudge it too much, you might get the blockiness back again.

Hope this works!
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »
Sure, no problem! Hope this makes better sense!
Alrighty, well I start with both my mane and mask files open. Using the select tool, I select the entire are of the mask and copy it over onto a new layer above my existing mane layer.

Then I use my magic wand tool (Or any tool that will select only one color) to select the whole black area of the mask.

Then I right click on the image and hit "Select Inverse" You may have to search the toolbar at the top of SAI to find this option, not quite sure how it works.

Once the inverse is selected, I go over to my original mane layer, and then hit the delete key, which will delete the mane in the transparent area of the mask, which is what we want.

After that, you can simply delete the black mask, as it is no longer needed. I like to go over the pointy triange area with a smudge brush to *slightly* smudge it. If you smudge it too much, you might get the blockiness back again.

Hope this works!

I followed it basically exactly as you said (with a tiny change here and there because of Paint Tool SAI being stubborn ^^"), but unfortunately, it's still blocky, and now has a bunch of weird white triangles on the top... However, if I color over where the white is on the picture, those triangles disappear (even though in every preset I've seen, they don't color over those). Aaaand still blocky. I've heard that the 'mask2' makes it look better, but I don't know how to do that ;;
Oh jeez, uh, I haven't been online in forever. I joined in 2012 lmao, back in the old maps, forgive me for not knowing my way around.
My in-game username is FirecrackerTNT (previously known as amythealpha), but can also be found on lpslover. I used to also be found on the account Amythenightwatch, but I think the account was deleted??? oops lmao

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:25 pm »
The white triangles can be fixed by taking "Lighting off" out of your code, I believe. Try replacing your code with this:

material preset_3_maneMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         depth_write off
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_3mane.png
         }
      }
   }
}
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline amythealpha

• Finest Floof
    • HummingKitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:18:47 pm »
The white triangles can be fixed by taking "Lighting off" out of your code, I believe. Try replacing your code with this:

material preset_3_maneMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         depth_write off
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_3mane.png
         }
      }
   }
}

Ah, thanks! Turns out, though, that I actually made the white part of the mane, well, white, instead of transparent like it was supposed to be. That, along with fixing the coding, helped a lot! Thanks! The mane still looks a bit weird and spiky, but certainly much better. If there's a way to make the mane less spiky, that'd be cool, (since Temmie's mane is rather flow-y, not very spiky), but if not, that's fine as well. Thank you so much! *squeal* *nuzzle*

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 08:25:07 pm »
Glad it's working for you! As for your mane question, feel free to check out Ressy's tutorial here:

http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=53567.0

I'll be locking this up, but feel free to pm me if you have any more questions! c:
Farewell everyone<3