Author Topic: Preset is being a butt (SOLVED)  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
Preset is being a butt (SOLVED)
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:23:59 am »
I've been seeing my fair share of preset problems around here as of late but I guess it's my turn now eh?

So, I have a character that I made a preset for a long time ago. No big deal, everything worked out great. Then the update came, and I started having a lot of troubles with preset making altogether. Tried switching over codes and preset files to try and spiffy up a couple presets to all shiny and new, but their codes just wouldn't work, one code line would make the preset folder completely disappear in Preset Maker and another would turn the char either bumblebee yellow or Slenderman white.

And this is exactly what I'm trying to do for this one preset. It was working fine at first, that is until I made a couple of changes to the code so that more of his markings glow, and now the tail and head are the Basewhite texture (which is telling me the .material file is there but the texture is missing). And I'm pretty sure my coding is all in the right place?

Here's a preview of the problem (NOTE: I know the markings I'm using (which are from one of the MM packs) is probably not encouraged to use but the whole reason for this preset was to make those markings glow while the rest of him does not):

And for reference, my code:

Code: [Select]
material preset_6_bodyMatL
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6body.jpg
}
                }
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
scene_blend alpha_blend
texture_unit
{
texture MarkingGlow_1.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_bodyMatR
{
technique
{
pass
{
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6body.jpg
}
                }
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
scene_blend alpha_blend
texture_unit
{
texture MarkingGlow_1.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_headMatL
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6head.jpg
                }
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
scene_blend alpha_blend
texture_unit
{
texture MarkingGlow_2.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_headMatR
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6head.jpg
                }
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
scene_blend alpha_blend
texture_unit
{
texture MarkingGlow_2.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_eyeMatL
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6eye.jpg
}
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
alpha_rejection greater_equal 128
texture_unit
{
texture EyeGlow.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_eyeMatR
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6eye.jpg
}
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture EyeGlow.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_tailMat
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6tail.jpg
}
pass
{
emissive 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture ClawsGlow.png
}
}
}
}
material preset_6_maneMat
{
technique
{
pass
{
ambient 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture preset_6mane.png
}
}
}
}

I also just wanted to add that making presets worked just fine until this update happened, now it seems certain codes don't work anymore, and it doesn't matter where it's copied from either. One thing I haven't tried is manually writing the code myself, which I'm reluctant to do. I've also considered the files possibly being corrupt, and just haven't moved them to another preset folder, but the problem is I have all my other presets transferred over and this one was namely preset_6 to begin with, I don't want to have to switch out presets.

EDIT: I have tried changing rendering systems, and it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks in advanced for any help given.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:08:52 pm by Shazadah »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Preset is being a butt
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:25:24 am »
First thing I'd do is make sure the file names and the coding match up. I noticed that a couple files in the coding you provided are 2, while most are 6 or don't have a number mentioned at all. It could match the file names, but I'd double check

And maybe try changing everything to .png
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:50:55 am »
First thing I'd do is make sure the file names and the coding match up. I noticed that a couple files in the coding you provided are 2, while most are 6 or don't have a number mentioned at all. It could match the file names, but I'd double check

And maybe try changing everything to .png

Hm..Didn't really think that'd be a problem. But it's just the different markings that are to glow labeled that way so I know which is what. MarkingGlow_1 is the body markings, and MarkingGlow_2 is the head markings. Anything that is labeled with "Glow" in the name is set to a .png file, while all the rest are .jpg as you can plainly see. But I'll try changing them all to just one image type and see what I get.

Also just wanna add before it gets brought up that I have tried changing rendering systems and with no luck.

EDIT: So I switched the file types and still got nothing. I removed the extra texture unit for the glow on the left side of the head just to see and it showed up on the character again. So it's something to do with the code and FH, which like I said before all was well until the update happened.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:51:08 am by Shazadah »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:50 am »
Where is the glow supposed to be on the head? If there's no glow then you won't need to have the glow code in there
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 06:21:51 am »
Where is the glow supposed to be on the head? If there's no glow then you won't need to have the glow code in there

All the parts that are to glow are the blue areas you see on the character, including the eyes, claws, paw pads and inside the mouth. Please note that I merged the blue markings that were supposed to glow with the areas of the character they belonged to and moved it all to a new preset folder to show you. The only code applied in this images is the ambient line, everything else is default coding:

What I'm trying to do is, make the markings themselves separate images so I may apply the glow effect to them while the rest of the character has the ambient line applied, to really make it glow, hence the MarkingGlow_1 (body glow) and MarkingGlow_2 (head glow) images. Here's a screen of what my preset 6 folder (the original folder I was using to make the preset) looks like, and any images with the blue markings or labeled with "glow" in their file name are what's supposed to glow on the character:

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »
Hmmm. What appears to be wrong is that you haven't made the glow textures yet, so since the texture isn't there, the head is white. THAT, or the glow textures' names aren't matching up with the .material file's coding. If the coding has it as "glowmarking1" and the name of the file is "glow_marking1", then it will be white.
-will update with examples in a few minutes-
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:10:28 pm by narwalpanda54321 »

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 10:00:32 pm »
I feel so stupid. It was a false alarm, turns out I just missed an important bracket between the first textures and the glow textures in my code, so the game was reading the .material file just like it should, but those missing brackets...Can we all just say I'm a baka and call it good? Good.

Normally this kind of preset making would be child's play, I've made more complex presets in the past before this one so it shouldn't have been that complicated. I guess it just took forcing me to manually rewrite to code and realize what the problem actually was.

Anyway, this can be locked now as the issue has been resolved: