Author Topic: What exactly is a plot in roleplays?  (Read 900 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
What exactly is a plot in roleplays?
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:25:21 am »
I've always wondered what a plot is, is it like putting your character in a situation/story and roleplaying how your character would react to it? Or changing a story slightly such as replacing Alice with your character so that your character is in Wonderland?

I've read a plot recently and I still don't understand well.

What do you think a plot is?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:53:39 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
Re: What exactly is a plot in roleplays?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:26:48 am »
Your Alice in Wonderland example is what I would consider an alternate universe. You're taking your own character and placing them in a world that is not their own, mostly as a way to explore those different mechanics in a non-canon way. That's always a fun thing to do!

A plot is essentially the foundation of any story or roleplay. They offer different situations and events that give you and others an understanding on how to carry forward. Without a plot, the story either doesn't exist or people will have a difficult time progressing. Plots are also a very good way to develop characters, relationships, environment, etc. The possibilities are limitless.

Let's say the plot of a roleplay is about going on a quest to discover a mysterious relic.
We can include one event where a character falls into a pit. Someone else has to figure out a way to save them, or the character has to figure out a means of escape themselves. This can test their intelligence and quick-thinking, or it can end in demise. Relationships can be established or strengthened depending on if someone else saves them, or if someone decided to just leave them there. The outcomes vary and play an important role in shaping the story.

I also make use of what I call "mini-plots." This is basically a way for me to develop my own characters and their relationships with others. These mini-plots are basically just small events for my characters that I discuss with other individuals, and we start roleplaying to see where it takes things.

This is just my definition of plots. Hopefully it was helpful! I would like to see how others perceive plots, too.

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:51:29 am »
Thank you! I understand plots a lot better now! Shall I ask a mod to move this topic to the Discussion board so it can be a discussion about plots?

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:49 pm »
You are welcomed to reform the original post into a discussion about role-play plots and I can go ahead and move this over to the Game Discussion board. Or, I can delete this thread and you can create a fresh thread in the Game Discussion Board. Up to you!
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:07:04 pm »
An plot is just.. what Panzram said.

Even if I could explain it, they just took the words right out of my mouth and made them 10x better.

But an question that I'll ask is..

How does one craft an plot?

How does one make an great one?
Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!