Author Topic: Grass Tool  (Read 1533 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Grass Tool
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:02:31 pm »
Although this isn't possible to add into the game since we don't have the source code, if this was ever added I bet it would be very useful for map makers.

So, the idea is a grass tool. When making realistic maps, you want to have grass all over the place and not just in patches in random places. Placing the objects takes quite a while to do for an entire map.

But the grass tool would be in another little tab or whatever of Map Maker, and from there you could pick a color and draw over the map in spots you want the grass or whatever to be with options to change the size of the brush and stuff. Then, there would be a dropdown menu of all the objects you have (Like in the object tab of Map Maker) and you could choose one. Next, you would change the pitch, roll, yaw, and stuff and the size of the mesh, with the "Is Large" and "Randomize Clone" and all of that stuff there too. Then, click OK and voila, where you drew with the brush now has grass in it's place. You could do another color and draw for other objects as well. (The color doesn't show up, it just tells the game where to place the grass/obhects). Or, maybe it could work similar to a terrainmask/heightmap kinda thing.

I'm pretty bad at describing, I hope you guys can somewhat understand what I said XD I just think this would be a useful tool for lazy map makers, although it would be very hard to put into the game.

So uh... I guess what do you guys think or any other ideas for the tool? I'm sorry if this idea's kinda bad.. *slowly goes to hide behind chair* o3o

Thierry

Re: Grass Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »
That would be great, if i remember, impressive tittle has a grass mask just like the terrain mask.
But it would be great not also because its a easy way to do grass, but also because the game performance: its not the same to have grass in the whole map and making the map to have hundeds of objects than just load the ones close to you. Most game engines works like that.

To make grass fastly I created an application to clone objects fastly by simulating "C" key presses repeteadly and another one to edit the objects.cfg file and to randomize the sizes and rotations. I fear to share the applications as now it lacks of a friendly user interface.
Unfortunatelly, cloning grass so much causes the map maker to have a poof framerate, fortunatelly ingame it gets a much better framerate.

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
Re: Grass Tool
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:31 pm »
I know a grass tool like the one Devynex described is actually possible in both IT and FH, but even if we could get a grass mask option like IT, I would be happy, haha.
Manually adding grass in is a pain.
Either way, I like the idea. c: