Author Topic: Grouping and making the Objects?  (Read 963 times)

HolyWaters

Grouping and making the Objects?
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:08:31 am »
Hey, I'm pretty new to map making, but found some amazing objects from Hammy, but unlike Drek's, it didn't have an install option. I have NO clue how to get them into the map maker to be able to use them. I've also searched the forums for anything relating to Group, Grouping, and Objects, and nothing explains it clearly like I need it. The objects I downloaded came with a  read-me file (like most do) that said to place it all in my_objects. Did. It also said to place the read-me file in there, but they are all titled the same so they wanted to overwrite each other, so I didn't put those in there.
What do I do to get them in the map-maker so I can use them? I need idiot-proof steps, literally, if there is one minor detail not mentioned I'm L.O.S.T. If you could help that would be great!

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
Re: Grouping and making the Objects?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:12:03 am »
For best results, I would message the creator of the objects so they can help you, but in this case, open up the readme file with notepad, and copy the contents. Then go into the my_objects folder, open that readme, and paste the contents inside. See what is different, and what is the same. If anything is repeated, delete that. Basically what you're trying to do is to add the new info from the downloaded readme file without overwriting what you have.

Hope this helps!

HolyWaters

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »
That didn't help v.v I tried doing what you said. I opened the Readme and saved is as TestOne. It saved it as a text file and nothing happened. I need thorough details on what to do.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:00:07 am »
When you paste the objects into the "my_objects" folder, you just put them into the game so you can load em. You do not complete the whole process to actually get them into the map maker by doing this, lets just see it more as a "first step".

This is what the object maker is for, it lets you import meshes and particles and then save it into an object group, which on it's own hand work as the link to the map maker, since the map maker uses the object groups to place these objects into the map.

Simple mindmap
Objects into my_objects folder>Objects loaded in the object maker> Objects saved into an object group inside of the object maker>Load an object from the object maker in the map maker.

What you need to do is to open the my_objects folder and then read the names of the mesh files.

For example, if you downloaded meshes, and one of them is a tree, the creator maybe called the mesh. "LeafyTree". This file is a mesh file. If you open the object maker there's a mesh field that asks for the name of the mesh, and in the field you add "LeafyTree.mesh", and then choose add new.

After you have a visible mesh, you also need to save it into an object group, and make sure you make a new one, and do not save it into the standard ones like MyTress or MyRocks. Instead make your own like, VickoniObjects or something.

Former community manager of FeralHeart

HolyWaters

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:28:18 am »
Alright! I figured it out, but most of the things I downloaded I can't see mostly unless I'm right ontop of them. Is it because my viewing distance is low or would that matter?

This is why It would not work: -Didn't know you had to press the 'Add New' button to visibly see the mesh and material.- >.>; So I was doing everything BUT clicking that button ^^ lesson learned.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:30:16 am by Vickoni »