Author Topic: Not really Understanding Maps  (Read 788 times)

Offline Inner Knowing

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Not really Understanding Maps
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »
I'm a newbie on FH, I joined a little while ago, so I'm still trying to get down some of the basics, so stick with me here!  :-\

I decided I wanted to create a map just recently. Do I know anything about the maps? No. I went in and created a simple map, a few things here and there. A few things I'm having a hard time with are portals, I'm not too sure I understand how to create them, and where they go to. I'm very confused on that.

Another thing, is that I can't save the map. I get 'invalid map name' I've tried only a few things that are somewhat relevant to the purpose of my map. I've tried: Getaway Homeworld, Fox Getaway, and Getaway. I've also tried them without spaces. As the display name, I've put in whatever is closest to the name of the map. This frustrates me. I know that I'll get booted off soon because of the random crashes and stuffs, so I'm getting nervous. I like my map, and I don't want to loose it.

I didn't do any of that masking and terrain making stuffs, too much complicity for me, so I loaded the watermill terrain to use.

I know there have been similar topics, I've read them, but I never got my answers.

Any help?

Thanks for suffering through this,

Cozzie

SoulRevenge

Re: Not really Understanding Maps
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:55 pm »
There's some useful things in the 'map making' part of Ouka's wonderful tutorial list.
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=18898.0
This should teach you some more struff, how to move portals about, and so on.

As for why your 'mapname' is messing up; try naming it something without caps, something shorter, or just something derpy.

Your 'Map Display name' can be anything you want though, as long as it's not too long. The display name will also be what you see when you first enter the portal.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Not really Understanding Maps
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:45 pm »
Hello Cozzie and welcome to Feral Heart. I have been a user of the game for a while but honestly I have never made maps and do not know how to make them but I'm sure this link will help direct you to all the information you would need to help you with any of your map making problems.
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=18898.0
Goodluck with it all I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing your map creations on the forum :)

Edit: lol I just posted this from my mobile. -Blacki and I must have been answering at the same time  :P Oh well both links are the same.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:06:33 pm by LordSuragaha »