Author Topic: Can't load my terrain onto a new map  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Infernape

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Pfffbbbtttt.
    • View Profile
Can't load my terrain onto a new map
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:11:13 pm »
So, I've decided to begin and attempt making a map. I've created the terrain and mask. So I go into map-maker, type in the name of the terrain file....and then Feral Heart freezes, says it's not responding, and I have to close it. I've tried a couple of times now and only get the same results.

Is it something with the server, anyone else getting this problem?
Preset in avatar done by myself.

"If all the world's a stage...then who's the props manager?"

CrystalSprint

Re: Can't load my terrain onto a new map
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »
It's unpossible for it to be a server issue, since the map maker is done on the clientside without ever connecting to the server.
As for your terrain file, make sure it is the appropriate image format and size, as if the image is found and FH tries to load an erroneous image, it might experience a fatal error.

Offline Eeveeblu

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:34:57 pm »
I'm having the same issue although its with height maps. The map was the correct size but it would still freeze. Unfortunatley I'm not sure of the solution, but if I may ask, did you try to load the map after you got the patch? Before it I could make and load maps just fine, it was only after I got the patch it kept on freezing. I don't think uninstalling and re-installing will help, but since I think that others have been having similar problems with things after the new patch these problems may be resolved in the next one? Sorry that this doesn't really answer your question, but I don't think that there's much we can do at the moment :/

CrystalSprint

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:03 am »
Does this happen with any height and terrain maps you guys try?
If it's a constant issue, than it's more likely than not a problem with the game, rather than the files.
I sure hope it's not the patch, I have a pretty complicated map in mind and I don't need it to be crashing on me.
And I don't think FH archives their versions. I'll refrain from updating my laptop maybe.

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:05:54 pm »
Check if your height maps are in grayscale mode. If they are in RGB color mode, they wont work, even if they are only shades of gray.

CrystalSprint

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »
Check if your height maps are in grayscale mode. If they are in RGB color mode, they wont work, even if they are only shades of gray.
Didn't know that. I've never had a problem with it so maybe I just always instinctively made it Grey scale.

Offline Deviedra

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Await the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »
I've had this problem...probably twice I think, happened recently too and to solve it I reopened a new page in Gimp, double checked it was greyscale, double checked the size was 513x513, and redrew the map and it worked. There was nothing wrong with the old maps I used but it refused to load it so I checked everything and redrew it - seemed to work.
Also, I don't know if you did this but do not make maps in MS Paint/paint/paint shop pro etc. because the game always has issues with them.

---
Another point about map making, for some reason exporting maps causes fh to mess up. I don't know if that was sorted but often when you export a map and close fh, then re-open it, before the KovuWorks pic appears, fh crashes. Not sure why but fh+ can export maps for you if it does this.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:06:49 pm by Devi »
----------------p????--------------------

CrystalSprint

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »
Woah. I'm definitely not updating my map-making computer's copy of FH.