Author Topic: Running the Game With Limited Internet?  (Read 982 times)

CaliTues

Running the Game With Limited Internet?
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:58:54 pm »
So recently I've had to change up my living arrangments, but I'd still like to be able to play the game every once in a while in my own home. My net capacity is 5GB a month. My question is, how much would Feral Heart affect that? I know the actual game is ran on my computer. And that all the visuals wouldn't necessarily be loaded from the internet, but how would it work out? Would every time I jump a map sap some of my net? Or is it every time I see another player/ they type in the chat box. :s Is it keeping the server online for a certain amount of time? Any input or assistance would be great. :I

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Running the Game With Limited Internet?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:37:50 pm »
I'd say you'd actually be able to run FH as you please with only 5GB limited bandwidth.

I think FH needs around 20kb/s(jumping from around 15-25) which isn't that bad. I might be slightly off but that is what I remember seeing when I were on my wireless for a week when changing internet provider.

Thing is I sat by the computer most of the time doing forum browsing and playing FH close to all the time except when I was sleeping or actually had a time away from the computer, and I only had bought a 2GB worth of bandwidth at that time. During the one week I used it, I still had bandwidth left to use(around 700+MB if I remember correctly.

The game server doesn't rely on the clients network in order to keep itself running, it has a dedicated server running elsewhere that takes cares of everyone's requests, you only to need to upload your character information and receive enough to display what you are meant to. You will need to load some information everytime you change map, but I really doubt it's anything to worry about since the actual map itself is on your computer, I think it's more the characters in that map you need to fetch, but if you are really really careful, you'd stay away from maps like Flourite plains.

So if you are staying away from downloading a lot of things, watching/streaming a lot of media, and do regular browsing on forums and playing FH, it will work just fine for you. Also really depends how much you will be at the computer, just make sure you do not have any "unnecessary" software that runs in the background of your computer, running updates and downloading them without notice, or just staying connected sending and receiving data, it might half your bandwidth without you noticing.

In general, try yourself forward, see what you can, and cannot do for a month. See how limited you are. I know for certain that if you have limited bandwidth you become aware of this and try to adapt as much as possible. And if possible, try to get some sort of bandwidth monitor tool.
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/09/09/how-to-monitor-your-internet-bandwidth-usage-in-windows/

There's a guide showing a nice tool for someone like you to keep track of it all.

Hope this helps.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

CaliTues

Re: Running the Game With Limited Internet?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »
This was VERY helpful. Thank you so much, Red! I had actually thought it would be more than that, but for the little amount of time I usually am on Feral Heart, I shouldn't have a real problem. That monitor will be very useful. Again, thanks bunches!