Author Topic: Characters: Do you Prefer Realistic, Semi-Realistic, or Unrealistic?  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: Characters: Do you Prefer Realistic, Semi-Realistic, or Unrealistic?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:32 pm »
I lean toward semi-realistic with my characters... blue/green/purple fur really isn't my cup of tea except in very small accents, and I like my colour choices to be at least somewhat plausible for a real animal to have (I also enjoy obsessing over harmonious colour schemes much more than is probably normal or healthy). On the other hand, fully realistic really limits your choices with most wild animals. In the end, the choices for a realistic lion are pretty much beige, kinda light beige, and slightly mottled... beige. XD My favourite strategy I've found is to google whatever species I'm making and make slight alterations to its natural colour/patterns until it's a little bit different without being over the top.

On a side note, I'm curious... does anyone have insight on the popularity of striped wolves? Not that there's anything wrong with them, I've just noticed that literally every other wolf in the game has stripes of some kind, even in 'realistic' RPs.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:54:34 pm »

On a side note, I'm curious... does anyone have insight on the popularity of striped wolves? Not that there's anything wrong with them, I've just noticed that literally every other wolf in the game has stripes of some kind, even in 'realistic' RPs.

Not sure if this is helpful but I've met about 3 or 4 striped wolves in the past few months. and I have a stripy wolf char. These weren't ridiculously brightly coloured wolves either; neutral colours they had.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Celticin

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:25 am »
I personally never stripe my wolves...  I just prefer mottling patterns like merle and hellion or point patterns like siamese

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 03:11:44 am »
Nor do I, just due to the nature of the way I design characters... I've seen it used to very good effect, though.

Offline KibaWolf73

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 10:37:03 pm »
I have an assortment of unrealistic (But not neon) characters I made back when I was new, realistic characters I usually RP with and semi-realistic characters I use when I want to goof around in Flourite Plains. It really just depends on what I'm creating.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:06 pm »
Unless they are part of a species that is meant to be bright colored (or a fantasy species), I prefer to make my characters as realistic as possible.

Offline kiarasBFF98

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Formerly KiarasBFF
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:39 pm »
I've never really used neons, but I like to make the eye colours vibrant, shades of natural colours. I like using bright colours but nothing flashy. I'm mostly semi-realistic, because I use items, even when they are natuaral things, such as twigs, leaves, and feathers.

Stunning avatar gift from my dear friend, Fao.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »
Semi-realistic is my main character style. They are usually close to being their natural or plausible colors, but little highlights of color (particularly on and around the eyes), I enjoy. However, I've made everything from a toned-down, realistic lion to those nutty sparkle-floofs you see running around.

But, even if I have an unrealistic character I use for Rp, I always have some kind of semi-plausible reason behind their accessories, colors, and so on. It's a mix of story and individuality. :)
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline RavenShai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:32:44 pm »
It really depends on what I'm RPing (as some have mentioned already), though with animals it's almost always semi-realistic. Mostly for these reasons right here:

I like realistic colouring but with different patterns than the real animal, just to add a bit of uniqueness to it. I definitely don't like the neons that run around and make me what to get sunglasses, I think that's a little extreme. Rarely ever is there an unrealistic character that I play as

On the other hand, fully realistic really limits your choices with most wild animals. In the end, the choices for a realistic lion are pretty much beige, kinda light beige, and slightly mottled... beige. XD

I give my characters realistic colors but add different combinations and patterns so they're more unique, but still realistic enough. It's also for RP as well, for instance with a full on realistic RP there's a very limited amount of what your character could actually do and less creativity. Not to mention you'd have to follow rules such as if you were in a wolf pack, only the Alpha pair are allowed to mate and all you do, really, is hunt.
The Hobbit

"Where did you go to, if I may ask?" said Thorin to Gandolf as they rode along.
"To look ahead," said he.
"And what brought you back in the nick of time?" "Looking behind,"...

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 01:05:09 am »
I prefer semi-realistic to unrealistic. None of my characters have eye-hurtingly-bright colors or random accessories all over, but they're definitely not animals you would see in real life. Reithe has wings and horns, although other than the orange markings his colors aren't that outlandish; Andon's only unrealistic characteristic is that his fur is blue. Then we have Vincent, who is complete with green fur and a hairdo.

I guess it depends on my mood at the time I'm making the character...