Author Topic: Guinea pig owners: READ!~  (Read 1356 times)

Offline GreySkies

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
Guinea pig owners: READ!~
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »
I know this is hardly the place to post something like this, but I know many of Feral hearts members are avid animal lovers- and some of you may have guinea pigs.

I just thought I should warn you about a VERY harmful chemical out on supermarket shelves.

It's called "Fresh Results: Cage cleaner and deodorizer." It seems harmless enough, and states its for birds and small animals. I worshiped this stuff when I first got it- and like most things it was too good to be true.

First time of using it, it worked amazing. AMAZING! It cleaned perfectly... I was so happy with it.

Then came the devistating part. My GP cupcake died two days after cleaning the cages.
I figured it was old age, maybe the stress of being in a carrier or something caused her to pass on.

Then, however, came the second guinea pig to pass. Kina- a baby guinea that I loved dearly. She passed away shortly after a cage cleaning as well. I still hadn't connected the dots.

Last week, my baby Apollo died as well. Guess what? After a cage cleaning.

I cleaned the cages over the weekend after his death, trying to sanitize everything and (not thinking) used that stuff again. And sure enough, my guinea pig Mookie is now sick.

I'm fuming mad. Yes, I should of noticed this sooner but.. Why even make a product like this!?

Apparently 'all natural' means it contains this chemical called Ispropyl alcohol. After some research I found that this stuff is HORRID. This alcohol  DEADLY to guineas. it shuts down nervous systems and can also destroy tissue if they are exposed.

STOP. USING. THIS. PRODUCT.

Offline peaceyoyo101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Guinea pig owners: READ!~
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:29 pm »
THANKS SOOOO MUCH! I just got a guinea pig and my mom got me that! I was going to use it when teh cage was dirty! -Nuzzles for saving Aslan's life-

Offline aerotechway1

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • "Just walking by!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10:26 am »
I use dish washing soap to clean my bird's cage. Dish washing soap or antibacterial hand wash is safe for cage and cage accessories. You just have to make sure you rinse thoroughly to make sure there is no residue. And because you have Guinea Pigs, I recommend using unscented dish washing soap because Guinea Pigs have a very sensitive nose and the strong perfume from it can irritate their lungs. I don't have that problem with my birds because parakeets have a horrid sense of smell. After rinsing, make sure you dry your cage completely. Avoid using bleach, amonia, or any other household cleaning product. 

"Deep in contemplation."

Offline LasVagas

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 18
  • Screw you guys, i'm going home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
Oh mah 0.0 I would hate for my little piggies,Peanut and butter to die via some cleaning liquid!

Dooooooooood.