Author Topic: A Heightmap problem. :l  (Read 1292 times)

TOXINhteFOX

A Heightmap problem. :l
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »
So whenever I'm in Mapmaker, I try to load a heightmap and the whole game just freezes. I don't know if it's a bug in the game or what, because this just started happening when I downloaded the 1.13 update.
(I haven't made a map with height and everything since before then, I'm just now getting around to making them in a very loOOONG time.)

I draw the map in GIMP with grayscale and everything. :/
I'm probably a huge dumb and messed up something while saving the file, but could anyone help, though?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: A Heightmap problem. :l
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:59 pm »
These are the things that must be followed when making a heightmap, if not, it will freeze or crash.

Taken directly from the Manuals page for heightmaps.

(~Note~)

If you were to create a heightmap on your own there's a few preferences it must follow and it has the very same as the heightmap used above and below. When your create/save a heightmap it must/should follow these rules.

1. It must be saved into a PNG format

2. It can only consist of 1 layer!(If you use more the game will crash upon importing it) Make sure you flatten/merge the layers on the image before saving it.

3. The image must be saved/edited in grayscale mode and cannot consist of or use colours(If not the game will crash)

4. The Image size should be even on both size, the standard size is 513 x 513 pixels.

5. The use of "Alpha Channel" should be left unmarked/turned off.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

TOXINhteFOX

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
I followed all of those requirements.
The game's still going "nope" at me. Hmmm.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:31:15 pm »
Try saving it as a jpeg.

Load the jpeg you saved and save it as a png again, should ensure that everything is set as it should. THen use the new png you acquired.

If it still doesn't work you should try to just import the watermill heightmap, NO changing of it, just put it in your map folder and then load it as your heightmap for the map.

If you enter the name correctly for watermillterrain.png or whatever it's called and it crashes after that it would be your game, if it doesn't it would still be that you do not save it correctly.

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Look in that pocket of yours
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
Actually.I'm having the same problem. Even though I have made many may many maps. I also exported another map height i've actually finished, and made all the items in the map. After typing it in, fh still crashed for me too.
No longer on the forums. Maybe around the game every now and again.

My DA
My creations

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
Sounds like an error on your part or possibly something else causing the crash, you never really add a heightmap to a map your are about to export either since adding or modifying usually happens before so I'm a bit confused by your customs here.

I myself had crashes even after numerous maps made, but it usually turned out to be me misspelling the name or not saving the image correctly.

Easiest way to make a heightmap is really to import the watermill heightmap to your map folder, change the name, and remake it from scratch, that way you get the correct templates from the start and do not need to worry about messing that up.

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Look in that pocket of yours
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »
Thanks Red<3 That worked perfectly
No longer on the forums. Maybe around the game every now and again.

My DA
My creations