Author Topic: More height map crashing problems [solved, lock please]  (Read 2409 times)

RoyBoy

More height map crashing problems [solved, lock please]
« on: November 09, 2012, 07:24:30 am »
Alrighty guys so I'm trying to create a 99% realistic copy of the Kanto region for a pokemon role play I am starting up. I have the height maps and masks totally completed but when I go to put my maps into the maker FH just putters out.

I use Photoshop CS5 is anyone wants that information.
I have read through the guides on here, and watched youtube videos to see if i'm doing anything wrong but It'snot looking like I am.
both maps are 513x513
both maps are saved in a PNG format
the height map is in grayscale mode and the mask map is in RBG
both have correct names, KantoTerrain and KantoMask
I tried to look but it looks like there are no Alpha layers on either of the pictures.
I did blur the edges of things but I don't think that should affect anything.

If you'd like to see the two maps in question here they are on photobucket:

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/bendoverdrek/KantoTerrain.png
http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/bendoverdrek/Kantomask.png

This is really all the info I have. I can load up and edit preset maps like watermill perfectly fine. If anyone has any tips please let me know, and i'm sorry about posting this but I've looked just about everywhere I can think.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:18:43 am by RoyBoy »

CloudFish

Re: More height map crashing problems
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
your height map had an alpha channel, i removed it and reuploaded it

just download the following and load it up in map maker, should work fine now

Kanto Terrain

Offline Rainbowfur

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • cut my life into pizzas this is my plastic fork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:26 pm »
The file itself may be pretty large if you're using Photoshop. idk if that affects anything at all though. GIMP is recommended for making heightmaps usually. Otherwise I have no idea why this would be happening, but good luck with it anyway :)
profile pic by me
mapmaker/preset maker
PM me for commissions^^

RoyBoy

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:18:11 am »
Ahh thank you cloudfish. Upon fiddling with things last night I had got it to work onc but then it stopped working again but i'm using your file and its working fine.
I also started fiddling more and figured out how to get rid of the Alpha channel on the picture so Thankfully i'll be able to go in and do more editing.

And also it is 513 by 513 if you check and I got photoshop for free from my school and I've been having to learn how to use it for my major so I just decided to do it on there. Plus I don't really want to download GIMP seeing as how I already have Sai and don't really want to take up the extra space for another art program, photoshop and Sai have been working fine.
It might be photobucket that blew up the map but i'm not sure. now that I now what I did wrong though I can now finally put in the finishing touches. Thanks guys, topic can be close now ;3

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: More height map crashing problems [solved, lock please]
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 02:27:57 am »
Well I see that you've got things settled here but just a small bit for next time if you ever have this problem again this might help. If you have issues like crashing when you're working with maps in map maker:
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=1391.0