Author Topic: You're not listening!  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
You're not listening!
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:16:19 pm »
This sort of topic has been on my mind for a couple of days. Have you ever met someone in a roleplay who is pretty much not listening to what's being said about your character? You tell them one thing, they completely ignore you and keep going on about a characteristic your character doesn't have?

Don't know what I mean? Here is an example.

One time I was on my unicorn fox character Amalthea. I was sitting on a rock out in Flourite Plains and whispering a friend, when suddenly some clan cats and their leader came up to me. This is what happened. (Names were made up since I can't remember them)

Leafstar: "Hey you! Fox! What are you doing here?" she hissed at the fox.
(I stopped my whispering to respond)
Amalthea Fox: -Hearing the hissing of a cat, Amalthea turned her head to see three cats looking up at her on the rock.- "Excuse le moi?" she chirped in her Frenchy voice.
Applepaw: -Applepaw shook with fear as she saw the fox. She ran off up the hill and left the leader to deal with it.-
Leafstar: -Unable to stand the fox's awful stench, the leader held her nose- "I said what are you doing here? This is our territory."
Amalthea Fox: "Madame... why are you holding your nose like zat?" she asked, tilting her head to one side.
Leafstar: "Because you smell awful, that's why!" she spat.
Amalthea Fox: "How can you smell me when I don't have a scent?" she asked.
Leafstar: "You're a fox! All foxes stink!"
Amalthea Fox: "Well I am not a mortal fox. I am a forest deity. I don't have a smell, you silly feline," she chirped. She sniffed at her fur to see if she still had the scent of sea foam on her. "I don't know what you are smelling. But it's not me."
Leafstar: "Whatever, you still smell horrible. Now leave!"
Birdclaw: "Yeah. All foxes have a smell."
Amalthea Fox: Well Amalthea doesn't. How many times must I say it? Look a the bio for Pete's sake!))

At that point, it wasn't really worth it to continue roleplaying with them. No matter how many times I told them in and out of character that she was a scentless immortal being, they still wouldn't listen. So I just ignored them from there, and they left somewhere else.

Another time something like this happened was when I was playing as my manticore character. She was stalking these shapeshifters that were in human form. I said in a roleplay line that she had her eyes on some creatures that looked like humans. And then one of them said OOC.

Shapeshifter: Uh we aren't humans. We are shapeshifters ._. ))
Melina: I know but my character is just acting out of instinct))

So when she proceeds to stalk them, they start saying how Melina is a stupid manticore for not knowing the difference between a human and a shapeshifter. When I explained to them that she is a feral beast that acts based primitive instincts rather than human reasoning, they didn't listen. "She's just stupid ._." they said.

Seriously. I might as well be talking to a brick wall. But I bet a brick wall would be more understanding and have more common sense than these people. What do you think of this? Has this ever happened to you during a roleplay?
Inactive

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: You're not listening!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »
I really hate those type of people as much as you do. They should at least play along, not acting like they control the scene. If you don't stink and have a reason for it, then you don't stink. That's it. It's not too hard.

The shapeshifter thing is hilarious. Since they are in HUMAN FORM, they look human. They don't look any different unless in their other form. They are the ones that are stupid, not you. CX

Offline opticker

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Otaku
    • View Profile
    • Nyan
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
 Yah, I was a demon shape-shifter that could become something like a human and these people are all like "Yah dude, no humans.." -_- "Shapeshifter.." "TOO CLOSE!" its such bull.

Offline mcgee2001

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Khalessi Of The Dothraki~
    • View Profile
    • Mcgee's Place
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:50 pm »
Yes, oh, my God! I hate it when people in the Game do things like this! Another thing I hate is when you've spent like an hour writing a really good Bio. Then some person comes up to you like
Person: 'hi, want to join my pack?"
Me: "Okay, sure."
Person: "ok, I need some info on yr character"
Me: "Okay, it's in my Bio."
Person: "Cant you just tell me?"
Me: -walks away-

Another thing is when someone asks for a Role-play sample, then you give them one and it turns out they're illiterate and they asked for one for a joke. So annoying. I:

Signature by: Marija, thank you!! <3
Avatar by: Sameth, thank you!! <3
Find me in-game as: Mcgee

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:47 pm »
This is a pet peeve of mine. While this SUCKS if you have;
a) an original character that needs explanation,
b) or a character that cannot possible know a certain detail of the other RPer (eg. their name if they haven't met them before)

I, personally, rage when it happens in a RP fight.

When you 'attack' nicely ("The slim female snarled, teeth bared in a grimace of distaste. Springing forward, the lightweight she-wolf made an attempt at the big brute's throat, hoping for a death-grip.)

And they just completely ignore your post, going on to say things that are cool fight moves and such, dismissing your attack and not trying to win fairly AT ALL. They may not powerplay, or autohit, but they DO NOT make it a fun fight, simply typing out loads of letters going on about their ninja-skillz. The posts don't match up with what you said, makes it annoying, aggravating and just plain insulting at times.

Offline opticker

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Otaku
    • View Profile
    • Nyan
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:49:54 pm »
This is a pet peeve of mine. While this SUCKS if you have;
a) an original character that needs explanation,
b) or a character that cannot possible know a certain detail of the other RPer (eg. their name if they haven't met them before)

I, personally, rage when it happens in a RP fight.

When you 'attack' nicely ("The slim female snarled, teeth bared in a grimace of distaste. Springing forward, the lightweight she-wolf made an attempt at the big brute's throat, hoping for a death-grip.)

And they just completely ignore your post, going on to say things that are cool fight moves and such, dismissing your attack and not trying to win fairly AT ALL. They may not powerplay, or autohit, but they DO NOT make it a fun fight, simply typing out loads of letters going on about their ninja-skillz. The posts don't match up with what you said, makes it annoying, aggravating and just plain insulting at times.

Yah, i REALLY hate that.

Offline Lionzue

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Everything's cool--It's the future!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:41 pm »
Oh, my god. I hate when this happens--like, if you want to roleplay, please at least listen? Especially when, like what Infinite said, your character is a bit different and needs some explanation to be understood. It's awful when they don't bother to do anything to understand the character. I don't understand why people do it.
So pour the champagne, pour the champagne...

ZearTheAkumian

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:17:24 pm »
Oh I been through this many times when I try to Roleplay, like ether I'm not well known and/or I'm a literate Roleplayer while most of em are unliterates and semi-literates

My Roleplay posts when I'm on my TLK character mostly never get's spotted on Bonfire at the Hill where the TLK Roleplayers are, suppose because of the rapidly quick chat going up and up like Superman and/or because people are faking to be blind to see my post, that's why before I go Roleplaying, I say "Time to Roleplay... alone again".

But however even with me playing me new ESO, I seem to got some idea's to get people know your trying to be part of the Roleplay, for example this may be a little stalky-doodles, but suppose saying "Are you listening to my posts or not?" to the Roleplayers in the Roleplay, however there's gonna be pros and cons of it. If the Roleplayers in that Roleplay tells you that they don't need you right now(Suppose they don't want you to get in the way), don't try to get in with force, that could be like trespassing on a private property, so instead, search for another Roleplay to try to join in.

However in fanbases such as TLK, you can try to be part of the current Roleplay, but that'll take practice for you to be trusted by other Roleplayers so that they can listen to your posts.