Author Topic: IT'S FINALLY DONE! Not.  (Read 1337 times)

Offline femalecreature

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • it is i the official eggplant
    • View Profile
IT'S FINALLY DONE! Not.
« on: November 11, 2013, 01:21:39 am »
IT'S FINALLY DONE... not.
Okay, so not to run my mouth off, but I have a lot of explaining to do.
Click this to follow what I was doing while you read along the story:
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=17452.0
I began to create a cute little map for a Clan. Particularly my favorite, ReedClan, whom I knew as the only safe haven for literates aside from fancy mapped literate Clans. Well, the people joined for a mapless literate experience, but I thought it would be cool to give map-making a chance, but I needed inspiration, which ReedClan gladly gave to me.
ON TO THE TRUE STORY:
So, I finished the height map. Beautiful.
Perfect. All was going along well.
The next part was easy enough, so I began. When I finished and deleted the grey-scaled part, it looked like this:

Yes, yes. Red=rock, green=grass, blue=sand/water. Exactly to my coordination, correct? A river with little spots of water here and there? Yes, that's exactly how I wanted it. But when I got in, turned "Ocean" on to see the river, it looked a little like THIS HORRIFYING THANNNG:

So, I need help. ;n; The regular grass isn't working, rock isn't working, and the water floods what's supposed to be the Clan's camp site!
Any suggestions/advice/help to what I can do to fix it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:24:08 am by ?????????????? »
egg me up inside (can't egg up)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: IT'S FINALLY DONE! Not.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:39 am »
The clan is an easy fix, just make that section of the Height map higher.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:31:08 am »
It takes abit to get water to look right. Adjust the height of the map and the ocean height. Try smoothing edges abit on the terrain itself or make the land higher compared to the water. It just takes some practice to get the hang on.

Offline wolfspirit999

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Live well laugh often love much~
    • View Profile
    • Wolf Kin
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:15 am »
What do you mean by grass and rock isn't working? Have you made sure to click the arrow by Terrain Texture to choose the next texture?
Did you use R255 G255 and B255 when making the terrain mask?

Hope you get it fixed.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:20:11 am »
Not quite sure what you guys are on about above but..

If it's the water that looks odd and you need it sorted~
Just change the ocean height number to something HIGHER, this will make it go further up.

If it's the texture that needs sorting~
Just click on the little arrow pointing to the right under "Terrain Texture" and change the 2nd, and 3rd texture as well, when you start plain off just adding a terrainmask to your map, two of the textures start of with plain black textures, you must set these yourself to whatever you prefer.

It's a bit unnecessary to start diddling with the heightmap before you actually used to map tools and see if they sort your issues. Just extra work otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:22:33 am by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Azorukon

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 19
  • YEET YEET
    • Azorukonn
    • View Profile
    • FA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:54 pm »
ah I've had this same problem before, I know what you're talking about, when you try to put any texture it just comes out black and nothing works, like others have said, make sure your colors are full 255 RGB and also try switching rendering systems, sometimes the textures get interfered with the type of rendering you have, heaven knows why... but it does... normally (for me anyway) it works when I have it set to Direct3D9 then the textures will show up, if that didn't work check this out: http://feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=10423.msg144821#msg144821