Author Topic: Help requested with a map height terrain  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Audrey

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Help requested with a map height terrain
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »
A designed what I might call a rather complicated map terrain, exported to FeralHeart/Media/Terrains, ect. For all I know, I haven't done a thing incorrectly, yet FH crashes when I type the terrain's name in the 'Terrain height map' bar in the Map maker. It may be my computer simply acting up, but if there might be another problem, what could it be? If another problem is suggested, I shall seek to fix it, but if a solution is mentioned with it... That is obviously the preferred option.

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Help requested with a map height terrain
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:25:25 pm »
Height maps MUST:
-Be one layer
-Be grayscale not RGB
-No alpha channel
-513x513
-named appropriately in correspondance with the map's name
Ex.) You named your map starclanclouds  Your heightmap SHOULD be saved under the name starclancloudsTerrain.png

You are amazing <3

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »
What was mentioned above pretty much, it crashes because you didn't save it properly or just try to load the wrong name even.

I'd suggest following this tutorial throughout if you use GIMP or PS whether you have a finished heightmap or not, it includes all the important bits.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTO8tyhSQPU
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Audrey

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:36 pm »
 It was in fact named appropriately with the map, and I mad sure to keep it gray-scale, and it is 513x513. It  complicated in the way that it has many small details. I do not know what the 'Alpha channel' is, and I have not heard of it, or seen it in any tutorials...  Nor do I know what you mean by 'keep it at one layer.' Forgive me if I seem naive, or annoyingly uneducated... I tend to be confused with computers easily. But, thank you for the reply, even if I could not make much sense of it.

Offline Audrey

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:41 pm »
Murr, I just now found Red's reply. Well, apparently, I need to figure out how to open the Tools Options Dialog box, which strangely enough, has not been there for as long as I can remember. But, I've never been very familiar with GIMP, so that may have something to do with it. I'll start poking around to see what I can get to work...