Author Topic: Err this is weird but...  (Read 1452 times)

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
Err this is weird but...
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
Well uh I know this is weird of me but.... so I was really used to traditional art before joining FH, and I rarely did digital art. I don't know what transparency or atonamy is, but maybe someone could explain to me? I've never used an art program except paint before (yeah, I know, I'd draw and do a background and color, but I still do lol) but now I have gimp, too. I pretty know meh basics about gimp, layers and whatnot, but wha.ish.transparency.and.atonamy? I know it is weird but Im also not the oldest floof here, which I am not ashamed of, either. I have an idea of what atonomy is tho is it like the way the drawing is built (or say the position of the thing you drew or wtv) thx! (Sorry for being such a stupid derp!)

signature by g0thic_vibes1

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Err this is weird but...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »
Transparency is just if something in the picture is see-through or not, basically. I'll just show a bad example since I have a picture up in GIMP XD

Basically, if you can see through it, it's transparent. Lots of people have transparent backgrounds for pictures.

Anatomy is, well, I'm no expert on this but... let's talk to Google XD

a study of the structure or internal workings of something.

So yeah, the anatomy of a lion for example is the way that the lion is shaped kinda, I've had people tell me to work on anatomy since mine had long necks, real derpy paws and legs, and stuff like that.

Hope this helps, even though I am terrible at explaining xD

wolfdog01

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:38 am »
Just to try and add on to what Dev said :3

Transparency allows you to see through layers, which is basically just sheets of paper. If you were to make a drawing and erase the background, there would be transparency which allows you to paste a picture onto something and whatever the background of the board you are pasting it on will show up through it. For example: say you draw something, a wolf perhaps. You give it no background and paste it on the FH forums, the background will be black. Or if you post it on a pink forum board, the background will be pink. It is also very helpful when using layers since you can have the background separate from the main focus and edit that without messing up any other layers. Anatomy is like the skeletal structure of an animal, the muscles it takes to move those bones, and the joints that hold them together. For example: a wolf's body is stout and sturdy while a lion's body is long and flexible. Meaning the cat you can draw in more realistic poses than a wolf. If you look at images of anatomy it may give you a better picture. Hope this helped as well! ^^
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:29:42 am by ~Thyme~ »

Offline forks

• Finest Floof
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:57 am »
Ok, thanks! I got Anatomy now, and I think I knoes what transparency is. I would originally draw in gimp but I cant make the canvas size as large as i'd like, I know how (Thx to Alphabutt) but it still wont let me make it as big as meh want. Can anyone help wit dat? Also, in gimp, when I use the bucket of paint to color in what i've drawn there are white lines on the edges, is there a way to fix that? thnx! :) I appreciate it!

wolfdog01

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:04 pm »
What you do is click on File, then on New, and where it says: Width: 640 Height: 400 you just type in the number of how big you want the canvas to be. As for the white lines, what I would suggest is making the line art on one layer and then make another layer by going to Windows, Dockable Dialogs, and then on Layers. Now there should be a little pop up box with the layer you're on, go down to the bottom of that box and you should see a small piece of paper with a little dog ear fold, a arrow pointing up, an arrow pointing down, etc. Click on the dog eared paper and hit OK when the new box pops up that has Create New Layer. Now, stay on that layer and go back to Bucket Fill, right under where you change the colors, the two little squares, there should be something that says the words Bucket Fill with the option to change the Mode, Opacity, Fill Type, etc. Scroll down if you have to to find Finding Similar Colors, click on the Sample Merged and unclick Fill Transparent Areas. Now do the same thing as last time, click on the object you want to fill. There will still be white lines but now you can use the painbrush to color those in without ruining the line art! :D Sorry that I can't provide pics, I'm on my phone...

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:15:16 pm »
In GIMP if you don't want white lines I usually use the Pencil tool for all my lines (With smooth stroke on), since then when filling in you don't get the little pixels around the edges. I usually use it for drawing when I'm bored or something, when I'm working on a project for someone or something like that I use the paintbrush with one transparent layer, then I create a layer under it and fill in with the Pencil and Paintbrush brushes, because in your lines if there's any open spots you don't have to worry and it looks a bit neater.

I can provide an example of each if you'd like ^^

Offline forks

• Finest Floof
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:30:33 pm »
Ok, Im gonna try this stuff out lol, and I'd appreciate it if you did, Dev, it might help me understand better. But you dont have too. Thnx guys! OuO and Thyme, i can change the canvas size but I cant change it over 4000X4000 but I need it that big... maybe even bigger. But thnx guise!

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:52 pm »
Using paintbrush and filling in with pencil and paintbrush:

Using pencil and bucket fill:

I think that the top ones look better but the bottom ones are much easier to do. The top ones take quite a while if you're working with big files (I usually work with 4000x3000)

But yeah, maybe you could try sizing it down to 4000x3000 or 3000x3000? 4000x4000 doesn't work too load on my computer either o3o

One thing I thought about is finding any image that is 4000x4000, coloring over it with white so none of it can be seen, so then you can just use it like you would making a new canvas thing. I'm not sure if it would work but I've opened up much bigger images in GIMP so yeah o3o

Offline forks

• Finest Floof
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:54:03 pm »
Ok, thnx Dev, Thyme! I really owe you two a floof, and a floof you shall getz!