Author Topic: Roleplaying Pet Peeves  (Read 6596 times)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying Pet Peeves
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:56 am »
"He slashed his face a few times then kicked him in the stomach. Then, he bit his neck and threw him to the ground, slashing at his stomach and then kicking him towards a tree. He then clawed his entire body and shot poison to his face. He bit his tail and threw him at another wolf, before running into them and pushing them off a cliff."
That...*sniffle* was the best roleplay paragraph I have EVER read.  
It has so much talent, and amazingness, and beauty, and just - *dies*

XD Sorry, I had to!

So much intelligence packed into one post! :D

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:52:12 am »
"He slashed his face a few times then kicked him in the stomach. Then, he bit his neck and threw him to the ground, slashing at his stomach and then kicking him towards a tree. He then clawed his entire body and shot poison to his face. He bit his tail and threw him at another wolf, before running into them and pushing them off a cliff."
That...*sniffle* was the best roleplay paragraph I have EVER read.  
It has so much talent, and amazingness, and beauty, and just - *dies*

XD Sorry, I had to!

So much intelligence packed into one post! :D
I wish I could roleplay like that...:D

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Owly

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 05:28:46 pm »
I role play a ton, I lead role plays as well. I have gotten a lot of peeves by role playing. Some are pretty dumb, but some are legit.
The whole "taking awhile to reply" going BOTH ways. I'm not fond of being rushed, especially since I'm a pretty fast typer, or being cut off for that matter. But I also don't like waiting over 10-15 minutes for a post when the post happens to be only 3-5 sentences... You couldn't have warned me you were away doing something else? It was only a few sentences...
I do not like how a WHOLE GROUP clusters in the camp. Therefore you have about 20-30 people posting over another. Spread out and role play if you want to just socialize, goodness! [Mapped role plays...]
I do not like post orders... I'm sorry but anything over 4 role players in a spot isn't worth a post order because of the length it may take to role play. I only find a post order useful is ONLY WHEN the characters are posting AT YOU, unless that is happening, I throw post orders out the window.
Call me a grammar nazi but it peeves me when people get wander and wonder mixed up, to, too, and two mixed up, there, they're, their mixed up, etc. I've even debated posting a proper grammar thread on some of my role play sites so people get which way is right...
I loathe wolfspeak, if you use flank, canines, things that ACTUALLY represent a part of your body, then I'm fine. The moment you use something that is NOT part of your body, that you are only using a "synonym" for I warn them to not use them and kick them if they continue [after like 3 times of being warned]. [Really this is if I'm getting complaint whispers, or the posts in question have heavy wolfspeak].
I REALLY dislike the role players that: Always find ways to get hurt, get hurt because someone else is getting hurt, only pay attention to one or two people out of like 40 members, people who don't actually do what their rank job is, try to butt in on a private role play [after you told them not to and are in a remote location], and lastly, which is my favorite, when role players keep killing off their characters in role play.

I think I'm done now... Lol

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
Also when they have like 4689304780 different attacks in one post, not even letting you have a chance.

Example~ He slashed his face a few times then kicked him in the stomach. Then, he bit his neck and threw him to the ground, slashing at his stomach and then kicking him towards a tree. He then clawed his entire body and shot poison to his face. He bit his tail and threw him at another wolf, before running into them and pushing them off a cliff.

Yes! Thank you!
Now, I don't role-play fighting scenes very much (since I like to think of what's going on) and have a delay in my brain which makes it hard for me to figure out what's going on during the fight (I zone out doing this sometimes and forget everything).
I do role-play my fighting like that, though only when my character takes the damage, like, for example:

The tom sat there, an edgy feeling clawed at him. He felt vulnerable - this was definitely not what he signed up for. Before he knew it, a large paw struck his face - making him fall to the ground with a thud followed by an "Oopf" sound. The smaller tom tried to pick himself up, though was struck again and was slung a little ways farther. A soft trickle of blood started down his face, a burning pain growing in his feet as he begged to stand up. The small cat swayed side to side as he pushed himself to stand. There's no way I'm loosing... He thought, feeling determined to win.

As you can see, I didn't even try to attack  - which isn't really what I was supposed to do, since it was a fighting scene. However, I was attacked myself. It wasn't as heavy with attacks as some would like, but he also didn't dodge any as only ~two were thrown at him.
Now, if it's with humans, then my character would probably be like this:

A small draft flew under his shirt, rain caked him and the other opposing him. "It's your move." He heard the other man say. The first could only stand, trying to think of a way to win. It's all or nothing. Before he could regain his composure, a punch was thrown at him, making him stumble back. He hadn't fallen, but it took him a moment to realise what had happened - then was thrown off balance by the other with a quick kick to the ankles. He fell with an exaggerated thud sound, making him groan with pain. "O-w." He complained.

Again, he didn't put up much of a fight and therefore lost.

That's all my say on it, though.
-Wolfie

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:20:54 pm »
Also when they have like 4689304780 different attacks in one post, not even letting you have a chance.

Example~ He slashed his face a few times then kicked him in the stomach. Then, he bit his neck and threw him to the ground, slashing at his stomach and then kicking him towards a tree. He then clawed his entire body and shot poison to his face. He bit his tail and threw him at another wolf, before running into them and pushing them off a cliff.

Yes! Thank you!
Now, I don't role-play fighting scenes very much (since I like to think of what's going on) and have a delay in my brain which makes it hard for me to figure out what's going on during the fight (I zone out doing this sometimes and forget everything).
I do role-play my fighting like that, though only when my character takes the damage, like, for example:

The tom sat there, an edgy feeling clawed at him. He felt vulnerable - this was definitely not what he signed up for. Before he knew it, a large paw struck his face - making him fall to the ground with a thud followed by an "Oopf" sound. The smaller tom tried to pick himself up, though was struck again and was slung a little ways farther. A soft trickle of blood started down his face, a burning pain growing in his feet as he begged to stand up. The small cat swayed side to side as he pushed himself to stand. There's no way I'm loosing... He thought, feeling determined to win.

As you can see, I didn't even try to attack  - which isn't really what I was supposed to do, since it was a fighting scene. However, I was attacked myself. It wasn't as heavy with attacks as some would like, but he also didn't dodge any as only ~two were thrown at him.
Now, if it's with humans, then my character would probably be like this:

A small draft flew under his shirt, rain caked him and the other opposing him. "It's your move." He heard the other man say. The first could only stand, trying to think of a way to win. It's all or nothing. Before he could regain his composure, a punch was thrown at him, making him stumble back. He hadn't fallen, but it took him a moment to realise what had happened - then was thrown off balance by the other with a quick kick to the ankles. He fell with an exaggerated thud sound, making him groan with pain. "O-w." He complained.

Again, he didn't put up much of a fight and therefore lost.

That's all my say on it, though.
-Wolfie
I agree... my main character Astuzia acts like she can kill everyone if they decide to mess with her, but she's really not much of a fighter. She's fast and agile, but she's about as strong as a Chihuahua. And since she's the Sark of her pack, she rarely fights anyway... but she get's pretty nasty when she does. Enough about her though, onto my opinion.

Whenever someone attacks my character, I usually take the hit, but if I do decide to evade the blow, I don't avoid it entirely... unless it's a powerplaying noob attack. I mostly just do something like this... here's what I usually do:

Assialant: The small male lunged forward, his long hindlegs propelling him forward as he attempted to tackle the cream female.
Astuzia: In a last effort to protect herself, she swerved to the side, hoping to evade the attack, but her timing was off. She let out a grunt of pain in frustration as she felt her oppose slam into her backside.

See? I didn't evade the attack, but I didn't end up taking the full attack. Not to counter every attack, but when other people allow you to react like my assailant in the example above. I hate it when people just bombard you with attacks and expect you to be helpless to them all... dodging is possible in nature. I strongly prefer when people type half of the attack, and the defender gets a chance to counter or dodge... and not that beautiful freak abomination known as:
*Bites neck off, ripping pelt off, crushing bones and throwing off cliff*

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2014, 02:15:09 am »
Meta-gaming's one of my more minor peeves-- it's when OOC information (ie, history from your biography) is brought into the roleplay without prior introductions, conversations etc. For example, when other people's characters refer to yours by name when they've never met-- let alone spoken! It can be quite jarring in roleplay, though it's a common and forgivable mistake; everyone's done it.

Another is when you're with your realistic group-- and a strange, pitch-black canine tries to engage you all in combat. After your comrades attempt to retaliate, they reply: "Oh, I'm a 30 foot demon by the way, you're all dead." It rubs me up the wrong way sometimes. I love random roleplay, but there's no fun in that at all. :(

I think my biggest dislike is Wolfspeak-- I can't stand it, or even tolerate it! It's such a poor and misguided way of teaching young teens and kids to write a cohesive story; the overabundance of complex words, even in adult literature, would have you laughed at by teachers, professors-- and editors! What's even worse is that the vast majority of the words are used so incorrectly it's become its own language. While I'd never chastise anyone who enjoyed it, and their decision to use their preferred method of roleplay has my respect-...

I just don't like it. At all. Good for them-- and I'm happy they're enjoying themselves, but it's just not my thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:19:33 am by Nemena »

Offline Scarlet[]Death

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:02 am »

Sandfury

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:27 am »
I probably already posted here, but I have a new pet peeve. ._.

I call these people RP-Active people.

What's an RP-Active person?
An RP-Active person is when someone is constantly roleplaying with you even if you aren't rping or in an rping mood at the moment. They think everything you say is IC.

Example
-Somewhere in Bonfire-
<Balto> And then she accidentally hit her knee into the desk and fell over omg I was laughing so hard  xD))
<Jenna> There you are, Balto!
<Tyrunt> LOL
<Balto> Um, hi.))
<Jenna> Is there something wrong? *nuzzles him*
<Balto> No, I'm fine... I hope you realize I'm not rping right now.))
<Jenna> *Ignoring my last sentence* I know there's something wrong, Balto! Tell me!
<Balto> Umm...))
<Tyrunt> Jenna, please go away. Balto isn't RPing right now.))
<Jenna> SHUT UP TYRUNT UR NOT A BALTO CHARACTER U SHOULD GO AWAY! RAH RARHRAH!

*Blocked*
*Blocked*

These kinds of people are usually little kids that think the game is only made for acting out as a Cartoon Character, or their own "Broken" character. It's really annoying to see these people randomly RPing with you, and don't even care if you don't want to RP with them/RP right now. (Another good example is a Simba attacking a Scar for no reason.)

-Sandfury