Author Topic: Constantly getting disconnected from map server?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline TheBlackLegend

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Constantly getting disconnected from map server?
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:07:38 am »
So this issue has been going on for about a year now. I made a thread about it a long time ago, but never got to actually get help due to my loss of internet for a few weeks. I am bringing this up again and hopefully someone can help!

And before I even begin, yes, I have looked in the big help thread, and there is no solution for this problem that I can find there.

I can only be sitting in Lonely Cave, with no one around, not a lot of people online, and have a very good internet connection, and every single time after about five minutes or so, I get disconnected and get the message, "Reconnecting..." and then followed up with, "Failed to connect to map server. Retry?" I can eventually get back online, but this is really starting to get on my nerves because it happens A LOT. And like I said, it's not from going through portals like for most people, and this happens on every map.

I have made FH an exception both on AVG and in my Firewall, I have reset my router a couple times, and even reinstalled FH without any add-ons and without the patch, and this still happens. Am I missing something? Is there a way to fix this? Or is this an issue I am going to eternally be stuck with?
(As a side note, the online game Spectrum does the same thing, but none of my other online games like Guild Wars 2 do this.)

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
Re: Constantly getting disconnected from map server?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »
Seeing as you have solid internet connection...is it wireless? Sometimes there can be quick hiccups in the connection...but i'm not sure thats your issue.

It might just be the server as well. I'll look around some and try to get back to ya some more. Hopefully all it currently is, is the connection or server.

~ Whisper

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline TheBlackLegend

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:54 pm »
The internet I'm using is wireless, but I have checked it and also tried diagnosing it, and there are no problems and the connection is solid. I was hoping it might be the server, but it doesn't make sense if this happens every five minutes no matter what map I'm on. And nobody else I've talked to on FH has ever even heard of this problem.

But yes, hopefully it's just the server or connection, but I hope it's something that can also be fixed.

Offline Skan

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Nobody suspects a thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:38:17 pm »
I have a terrible satellite internet service and the computer I use for FH picks up the connection wirelessly, but I don't get disconnected as often as you do, so I suspect that the problem isn't your internet connection. I could be wrong, but it would be very strange if your connection is the cause of your issue. Is your computer a desktop? Also, if Spectrum does the same thing, is there any feature or setting that FH and Spectrum have in common?
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline TheBlackLegend

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:07 am »
Both computers I have played FH on are laptops, and they do the same thing. Now my old one, it was just AVG that was the issues, and making it an exception fixed it. As for this laptop right now, I've made it an exception in the firewall and AVG, and it still does this.

As for what FH and Spectrum share, I know they share the Direct3D9 and OpenGL options, but I dunno if that has anything to do with this problem.

Offline Skan

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:52:20 am »
Odd. I was going to suggest taking your laptop somewhere with a different wi-fi connection, but now it really sounds like your internet isn't the issue. If one laptop plays FH ok and the other doesn't, then it could be a hardware or software issue. I don't think graphics applications would cause you to be booted off of servers either. Did your old laptop play Spectrum without any issues as well?
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline TheBlackLegend

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:14:09 am »
Yes, once I made it an exception, Spectrum ran fine as well.

Offline Skan

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:29 am »
Ok, sorry for the wait, but I was attempting to find a proper solution online (and in vain) to your problem. Plus I was really hoping that a more computer/tech savvy person would come along, because this really seems like a hardware/software problem.

Four ideas: One, I recently found that I actually do have less lag and ect if I run FH with Direct3D9 instead of OpenGL. Have you tried switching between the two options? Maybe one will work better for you than the other. Also you could try running FH in compatibility mode. If it doesn't work, be sure to switch back out of compatibility mode.

Two, you could turn off AVG completely (right click on it in your task bar and hit Temporarily Disable AVG Protection, and I recommend choosing Until I Restart My Computer since 15 minutes may not be long enough for you to test this), and while it is off, try to run FH and see how it does. If not, also turn off your firewall if you are willing. I'm thinking AVG and/or your firewall is blocking an application extension that FH needs to run properly.

Three, try Latency Fix (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html) it helps when bigger games boot you from their severs, so maybe it will help with FH (download link on the top right corner of the page. I spent an embarrassingly long time looking for it 'cause I'm apparently blind). It's easy enough to uninstall if it doesn't work.

Four: If you still have problems, your ping might be outlandishly high. Explanation and directions for testing it here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5063917_ping-computer.html
and also here if you have a Mac, want more information, or want to ping the Feral Heart server directly, if you can find the server's IP address: http://www.livinginternet.com/i/ia_tools_ping.htm
and post the results when finished.

But whatever you do, do NOT attempt to uninstall and re-download the game right now, unless you want to download it via torrent. Apparently people are having a lot of trouble downloading it regularly right now.

(...are we allowed to have links to other sites in our forum posts? I really, really hope we are.)