Author Topic: Grammar/Spelling Vs. Storytelling Ability  (Read 1959 times)

Offline SabrinaWolfBlaze

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Grammar/Spelling Vs. Storytelling Ability
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:48:54 pm »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:50:55 pm by SabrinaWolfBlaze »

~Firepool~

Re: Grammar/Spelling Vs. Storytelling Ability
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »

Gosh, I'm am completely thrilled to bits I'm not the only one who thinks this. c,:

For one, I hate the term 'illiterate' as well as any other nonsensical term that goes along with it. (I would really love to go on about why but I shall save that argument for another day~) Is anyone on Feralheart illiterate? No

The word illiterate means 'lacking the ability to read or write'. Just because someone talks to you 'liek dis' doesn't automatically mean they can't communicate with you during a roleplay. I've met plenty of people outside of FH who are able to convey a story without using multiple sentences or a vocabulary that doesn't make any sense.

Anyways, I've gotten away from the entire point of this post. so ...

I see roleplay as one thing ; Telling a story. Why should it matter how someone chooses to tell that story? Why should we judge someone based on their vocabulary or the number of sentences they use. If you choose to judge someone in anyway regarding roleplay [and I really recommend you don't judge people.] it should be based on their ability to tell a story.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 04:02:35 am »
Now t'is Vespian's turn to clatter mein jaws.

I do believe I've had a conversation similar with the user Black Fox, otherwise known as FoxPhilosopher 'round here on the forums. Flaws we have perceived. Many, many flaws yet while tongues remained hushed in their cradle, Vespian remained on the outskirts idly observin' a role-play my brother, FoxPhilosopher, enrolled into. Granted I'm always curious as to their whereabouts but quickly mein eyes have taken note of somethin'.

Is it just I, or do individuals with an impressive vocabulary tend to repeat themselves?

A question that perches upon mein brain, peckin' as I notice the role-players, while possessin' a decent set of terms, perform repetition throughout nearly every post. Commented on it I did with a whisper towards mein brother's ear and they agreed. They too have noticed thus sparked the conversation. It wasn't long until the repetitive bored us which leaves Vespian onto the final say.
I'd rather role-play with one who knows full well how to craft and uphold a story rather than one who's vocabulary mimics a scientist but in doin' so, lacks the acknowledgement to incorporate without bore.

Vespian doesn't mind at all the extensive vocabulary for I too possess a tongue acknowledged with words- as long as they're bein' used correctly and not, what they call, wolfspeak. Though careful am I to make mein posts as intriguin' as possible, even go as far as to weave a bit of a poetic fluency throughout mein sentences. A purpose I've stated in an earlier post.

'N lastly before I submit this, personally, I too see it a bit silly with this whole "semi-literate/illiterate/literate" labels. Me wonders who came up with such appellations. I prefer to use "novice/moderate/experienced". A better ring, no? But alas, as stated before by madam Firepool, t'is a bickerment for another time.
gone

wolfdog01

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:38 am »
I know that feel bro...
I see these wolves and horses and even the occasional lion RP like they are the highest and smartest darned thing in the world, and I just kinda sit back and watch. Maybe comment a little on a few things that bother me. And I get so...TIRED of seeing them! Sometimes when I make a comment loud enough, half of Bonfire joins in and the person usually ends up getting really mad though we were just trying to help o~o and then I see the good ones, usually only kept within a sentance or two, sometimes an advanced paragraph. The bootyful storylines that people create and flow with, though, I will say, I used to be like them. Able to keep a story going smoothly, now it feels as though I must be sparatic and random to keep it alive, which is very downbringing. So yeah, storyline is definatly more important than grammar and whatnot, I would rather have a child's mind than a genius's vocabulary.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:49:02 am »
Quality over quantity.
It's much better to have a better understanding in roleplaying other than to have a vast vocab in roleplay.

In other words, it would be better to roleplay with only a few sentences at a time and have a better understanding in storytelling, other than to use potentially incorrect vocabulary and roleplay with four posts at a time and never follow the plot or personify their character.