Author Topic: Confused on Terrian Masking Maps.  (Read 704 times)

Offline Allari101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • little-kitteness
    • View Profile
Confused on Terrian Masking Maps.
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:17:51 pm »
I am so confused with this... I made the grayscale version of my map, but the red, green, and blue textures have to be so precise.. Pixlr editor doesn't have an RBG setting. (I'm pretty sure so anyway. If it does, TELL ME!)

Also, more questions:

Should there be a new layer for each color? (Red=layer 1, blue=layer 2, so on and so forth.)

Do you cover over your grayscale and save it over your grayscale or as a new image (save as)?

Does the blue colorings make your land blue, or no? And how do I get yellow if I wanted to do a desert terrain with only red, green, and blue? Can I mix these all together?

I'm supposedly guessing I need Gimp to do this .-.
I might be able to download it, not sure, if I do I'll have to learn how to use it first.

What a project....

In-game user is Allari101

Offline Kwibjo

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Confused on Terrian Masking Maps.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:11 pm »
The manual for map making is a good place to start, or you could just look up a tutorial on youtube.
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=11

BUT I'll sum it up for you. The gray scale terrain is what goes onto the ground and on the minimap where as the coloured red/green/blue file (which is supposed to be separate) is what you paint your textures onto. So the red layer is one texture, Green is another and blue. So you could paint anywhere you want water to be red and land, blue. So when you go into the editor you change the red layer into sand and the blue into grass.

It really shouldn't matter if they are on different layers it just has to be all combined into one file since FH only allows one heightmap and terrain mask per map.

Hope that makes sense... ^^
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:27:11 pm by Kwibjo »

Not around much anymore but add me on Discord if you want to chat. jellyfish2224

Offline Allari101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • little-kitteness
    • View Profile
Re: Confused on Terrian Masking Maps.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:23:22 am »
It does! Thank you!

Guess I'd better just get Gimp to do it in then. x3

In-game user is Allari101