Author Topic: How to make BETTER RP.  (Read 1848 times)

Offline ThunderClaw12

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Keep calm and Fly On Animation by SwankyShadow
    • View Profile
How to make BETTER RP.
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:56 pm »

Keep on flying :D
Peace, Love, & Rock on!

Animation by:  Ilkyra

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
Re: How to make BETTER RP.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:28:21 am »

[just wanna comment my opinion cx]

A good definition of a decent role play post coming from me would have to be a person who is able to read and write with the exception that they should be able to use correct punctuation, capitalization and be aware of grammatical errors.
I myself enjoy role plays that sound like a story/book, with smooth flowing sentences that can easily be read and are detailed to describe a character's surroundings, thoughts and actions, as well as describe how said character feels about a certain situation.

An example of how I do role play/role play samples (Using one of my current characters in-game.);

A cool breeze blew throughout the hot savannah that the pale lioness made her home in, giving her a few moments of relief before her home returned to its normal scorching hot temperatures. Mosi was sitting atop a large warm rock, enjoying the hot sensations on her paw pads.  Opening her maw, the lioness would begin to pant as her body soon began to heat up a bit /too/ much.. so, lifting her somewhat skinny frame Mosi would hop off of the rock and onto the cooler yellow-tinted grass. Her short, stocky body suddenly became engulfed by a patch of long grass that surrounded the area, which would soon give her the idea of hunting. In this area, she'd hardly been seen by any possible next meals. Though, this idea would soon burn out as she suddenly began hearing the ever-so annoying laughs of a gaggle of hyenas. With the group of five coming closer, she was soon able to get a better glance at them and realized that they were in fact striped hyenas, "Crap." she gritted her teeth, "I won't be able to take these guys on by myself." Mosi muttered to herself, pinning her ears down. Though before she knew it, she was surrounded by the gang of hyena, their giggles echoing throughout the vast savannah.

A couple things to remember when role playing;
- Using continuation symbols such as >>, -c-, ~> to signify that you're not finished with your role play post. Rather annoying having a million people cut you off before you get a chance to even finish, aye?
- Don't post too much or too long of posts! People can get bored if you type like 8+ paragraphs per post. I know this for a fact. I'm both a victim and someone at fault for this~ I used to write A LOT in one post.  ;D
- Don't post too little! I understand writer's block is a thing but a lot of people get annoyed when someone only types one or two sentences per post, especially in literate role plays. Mostly I see the minimum per post is 4 sentences, which is a pretty decent amount~

in-game: hooli

Offline ThunderClaw12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 11:59:54 am »

[just wanna comment my opinion cx]

A good definition of a decent role play post coming from me would have to be a person who is able to read and write with the exception that they should be able to use correct punctuation, capitalization and be aware of grammatical errors.
I myself enjoy role plays that sound like a story/book, with smooth flowing sentences that can easily be read and are detailed to describe a character's surroundings, thoughts and actions, as well as describe how said character feels about a certain situation.

A couple things to remember when role playing;
- Using continuation symbols such as >>, -c-, ~> to signify that you're not finished with your role play post. Rather annoying having a million people cut you off before you get a chance to even finish, aye?
- Don't post too much or too long of posts! People can get bored if you type like 8+ paragraphs per post. I know this for a fact. I'm both a victim and someone at fault for this~ I used to write A LOT in one post.  ;D
- Don't post too little! I understand writer's block is a thing but a lot of people get annoyed when someone only types one or two sentences per post, especially in literate role plays. Mostly I see the minimum per post is 4 sentences, which is a pretty decent amount~

That's probably the best best RP tutorial I have ever seen. I have one question though, is this a a story/book RP sample, right? It looks like it. The one that I did was a simple RP sample, I liked your though, and whats so bad about the striped hyenas? There just hyenas, nut with stripes.Oh well, I suppose I should go now, thanks.

Peace, Love, & Rock on!

Offline ThunderClaw12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:03:43 pm »

There just hyenas, nut with stripes.Oh well, I suppose I should go now, thanks.

Meant to say but with stripes. XP

Peace, Love, & Rock on!

Offline Owly

• Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • Kryvul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »
Also to add on to Hooli's statement. Don't be afraid to add silent thoughts your character may have, even adding in random things can spark a good role play. If you're in a role play where nothing's happening. Make something up that's harmless. Not everyone enjoys drama all the time, and certainly the leaders won't like dealing with it. However, a harmless hyper streak of your character running around like a nut and jumping over people can be enough to get at least a reaction out of everyone.
Also, if you don't know a spelling to a word, it is okay to not look it up and just post it. If someone knows they'll correct you so you know for the next time.
Role play is supposed to be about the creativity that you can pour into each character you have, so have fun with it. Even when your character suffers, if you feel for your character and others are too, then you know you've done an amazing job with them.

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:19:24 pm »

There just hyenas, nut with stripes.Oh well, I suppose I should go now, thanks.

Meant to say but with stripes. XP
Since Mosi is a single lioness she can't really expect to win a fight against a group of hyenas, especially five. xD

in-game: hooli

Offline ThunderClaw12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:27:32 pm »

Peace, Love, & Rock on!

Offline Yognaught

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »
Heyo! I thought this was a very interesting topic and thought I post my thoughts.

First off, I think this a great rp and don't let anybody tell you otherwise! I love it.

And a few things I suggest to someone who is trying to improve their rp.

- I recommend not using wolfspeak. Why? Because it's not a smarter way of rping, or makes you look cooler. Frankly, it makes you look like a 6 year-old bragging about how they got one more sweet than all the other kids. I'm not trying to offend any wolfspeakers, it's just an opinion.

- Try using as much description as possible.
Here are a few things to help you with that:

http://i61BannedImageSite/29yfsw.png

http://i62BannedImageSite/wclkj5.png

- Make sure that you can be understood. Read over your post, does it have typos? Can you understand it? Also, use -c-, >> or + to signify that you are not finished with your post. We don't want post-cutting.

- Don't post too much, 7 paragraphs would be the maximum for me, but if your rp partners are up to large chunks of rp, by all means go ahead! But eventually, you'll run out of things to say.

- Experiment with different rp styles. Every rp is good! From -growls- to 9-paragraphed-posts, every post is good and do not let anybody tell you otherwise. You'll finally find a rp style you're comfortable in, and it doesn't matter how long that takes.

These are things I tell to people in-game when they ask for help. Hope this helps someone! ^^

Find me in-game as: mushyroom