Author Topic: How to make a fur texture?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Golden_Fox

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Cuz yea
    • View Profile
How to make a fur texture?
« on: October 01, 2015, 10:30:34 pm »
I want to make a fur texture but I don't know how to do it, does somebody can teach me or know any tutorial?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:19:51 pm by fox spirit »

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: How to make a fur texture??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:22:50 pm »
I will move this to the Game Help board, since the Discussions board topics should generally approach a question that can be discussed among the community. If you are looking for a good fur texture tutorial, the Presets & Markings Tutorials board is a great place to check out. You can find it here.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:46:21 pm »
I do not know of any tutorials, though you might be able to find one in the board Warriorstrike linked you to.

If not, I'll be offerin' some help here. All you'd need to create a fur texture is a good art software such as Photoshop, Gimp, or Sai. Making these textures is the same as making a preset for your character. T'is the same concept, and using the UV references your my_presets folder should come with, you should easily be able to make one. The size of the canvas must always be 512 x 512 pixels though instead of it being set to RGB color, it must be set to Grayscale.

To get started, I suggest searchin' up a few wolf or lion pictures depending on which model you'd like to create a fur texture for. These can be used as refs so you can get a basic understanding on how the fur is supposed to start, look, and so on. Be sure you are paintin' on a white background, and be sure you are making good use of any fur texture brushes and blend tools to make the texture look how you want it to.

When you are finished, delete the UV reference layer if you used it and compress the entire image into one layer if that isn't already done. Save the files as a .jpeg with the names cbodyShade, cheadShade, ctailShade and so on. If you are making a feline texture, replace the 'c' with an 'f' and paste these textures into your Feralheart > Media > Textures folder. Always save the default fur textures in case you would like to revert back to them.

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:39:01 pm »
Panzram and Warriorstrike have actually made it clear. :) I also don't know if there are any tutorials around here but as mentioned Photoshop, Gimp and Sai are great programs. Although, it's not very easy and requires some practice before you can actually draw perfect fur texture. So first I recommend you to practice floof. <3 In the mean time you can have a look at these presets I have provided below (when clicked link) which show amazing fur textures done by other users on Deviantart and possibly, take something out from them, so click here!

Enjoy. :3

Offline Golden_Fox

• Curious Wanderer
  • Cuz yea
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a fur texture?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:37 pm »
I will move this to the Game Help board, since the Discussions board topics should generally approach a question that can be discussed among the community. If you are looking for a good fur texture tutorial, the Presets & Markings Tutorials board is a great place to check out. You can find it here.
I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong topic, well I was looking for a tutorial which show a technique to make fur textures, but I'm creating my own now. I decided to ask this question because I didn't find a tutorial anywhere, but it isn't necessary anymore, I think that will be helpful. Thanks for the reply ^^

Offline Golden_Fox

• Curious Wanderer
  • Cuz yea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »
I do not know of any tutorials, though you might be able to find one in the board Warriorstrike linked you to.

If not, I'll be offerin' some help here. All you'd need to create a fur texture is a good art software such as Photoshop, Gimp, or Sai. Making these textures is the same as making a preset for your character. T'is the same concept, and using the UV references your my_presets folder should come with, you should easily be able to make one. The size of the canvas must always be 512 x 512 pixels though instead of it being set to RGB color, it must be set to Grayscale.

To get started, I suggest searchin' up a few wolf or lion pictures depending on which model you'd like to create a fur texture for. These can be used as refs so you can get a basic understanding on how the fur is supposed to start, look, and so on. Be sure you are paintin' on a white background, and be sure you are making good use of any fur texture brushes and blend tools to make the texture look how you want it to.

When you are finished, delete the UV reference layer if you used it and compress the entire image into one layer if that isn't already done. Save the files as a .jpeg with the names cbodyShade, cheadShade, ctailShade and so on. If you are making a feline texture, replace the 'c' with an 'f' and paste these textures into your Feralheart > Media > Textures folder. Always save the default fur textures in case you would like to revert back to them.

thanks for the reply, I didn't find any tutorial I use Photoshop and I created a technique to make fur texture, now I'm improving it and I'm getting some nice results

Offline Golden_Fox

• Curious Wanderer
  • Cuz yea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:45:41 pm »
Panzram and Warriorstrike have actually made it clear. :) I also don't know if there are any tutorials around here but as mentioned Photoshop, Gimp and Sai are great programs. Although, it's not very easy and requires some practice before you can actually draw perfect fur texture. So first I recommend you to practice floof. <3 In the mean time you can have a look at these presets I have provided below (when clicked link) which show amazing fur textures done by other users on Deviantart and possibly, take something out from them, so click here!

Enjoy. :3
I believe that good textures aren't made with the "hard hound" like presets, probably with fur brushes and pieces of black and white pictures with low opacity, I created my own technique and now I'm improving that, thanks for helping ^^

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 11:55:27 pm »
Looking this since the question was answered and the author seems to be fine with the information given. Good luck with your textures! c:
Farewell everyone<3