Author Topic: Opinions on Hunting and the Like  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Nephrite

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • nephriite
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Hunting and the Like
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 06:50:45 am »
I've always thought being able to hunt in FeralHeart would add a nice touch to the game, as well as making roleplay more realistic and fun for its users. I would discourage the idea if you had to hunt to "survive" in the game, but what if you were able to hunt without worrying about your character going hungry? People hunt during roleplay all the time, and it would be nice to have a visual to go along with it.

Hunting should be an option in maps, just as being able to fly or having an ocean/water in the map are. Mapmakers could also be able to choose what creatures can be hunted and be able to download meshes for new prey. In more social areas such as The Grounds or areas like Lonely Cave, you wouldn't have to deal with the annoyance of bunnies or deer running around. And for computers who can't handle prey running around (or users who get annoyed by it) there should be an option in the settings to hide prey.

The idea of hunting all together may be a bit far fetched, but I think it could add dynamic to the roleplay -- as long as nothing is taken away in return.

Galaxyshadow

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 07:06:01 am »
I think it would be a great idea to add hunting and what not. but we could do without food and water bars, because many players would just argue about food being stolen and complain when their character dies of hunger or dehydration.

PvP, I was thinking this would be an amazing idea. But I think that there should be a setting so that you can turn it off and on. When off you cant get killed or kill other players. When on you can kill and get killed by other players.

Prey. Prey should be small. I mean maybe limit it to birds, rabbits, and overall smaller species. Because I dont know I just feel larger animals will just become a nuisance of some sort

Legendary~Grace

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 12:04:40 am »
If you haven't seen my post in the fighting idea thread I mentioned hunting in there. Not a lot about it, but I mentioned it. I was going to make a thread and expand on that, but I won't do this because there is this thread! Also, going with what the thread creator said, do not bash me for the ideas I express. I understand the source code in not within the power of the current staff.

I think that you all have great points and opinions. Now, I'd like to share my opinions...

I think that if hunting and surviving was added to the game it should indeed be an option. I don't think it should necessarily be two different servers but an option in the one game. Going between the games would divide the average in-game population and would be difficult for me personally to use. I'd constantly have to change or get confused. The option could be a sort of "on" and "off" switch. Maybe linked to the icons in the character information that enables survival and hunting. But, can be turned off when need be. Though, I can see a problem developing with this one. People would abuse it in many ways. Maybe there can be a time limit for each time you can switch were you have to wait to switch again. An alternative way, is only allowing the switch in certain situations. So, you cannot switch out during a hunt.

As for the hunting, as similar to my post about fighting, there should be a system of permissions or areas where it's just hunting. When a character enters and area or map only used for hunting, a hunting mode is enabled. An alternative and personally a better option in my eyes, is just having a system. Maybe in the Character window when you click on people or yourself, it bring up another option called hunting/survival mode. If clicked it would ask the person if they agree to switch to that mode.

To add other people to a hunt, the host or people already in that exact hunt will have to invite others in order for them to join the hunt. This would prevent trolling and unwanted visitors. Strangers not in the hunt should be able to watch but not effect the hunt. It would function like a party chat invite.

Now to the hunting mode specifically...

In the hunting mode, the character should be able to use keyboard commands to preform actions such as bite, claw, and other things like that. Depending on character qualities, the hit points will range. I explained this in my post about the fighting idea. But, basically I said characters should be designed so that hit points and certain abilities differ. So that, small and skinny canines and move faster but have low hit point average and big and strong characters are slow but have a high hit point average. It would also make things more realistic and fair. This could also prevent over powered characters.

Furthermore, there should be a health icon for both your character and the prey which should actually show up to be hunted. There should also be a endurance icon for both too. Character designs would effect these... Go to my post in the fighting thread for more. Basically, the longer the hunt goes on, the more depleted the endurance gets. As for the health, each hit would decrease the health for either one. Some prey can fight back.

As for the survival half of this topic, I think hunger is a big part. But, I already explained what I wanted to explain there, above. But, basically a character could starve to death and just re-spawn in Lonely Cave. I do like the idea of Scavengers too, but I think that should use a permission system to prevent abuse of the action.

Illness and disease could also play a role in the survival part of things. Realistically, I know that wolves normally can't "heal" themselves but that could be an option. I might make a thread on that, now that I think about it.

The need for water could play a role also. Maybe an icon in character information can display a bar that shows whether the character needs a drink or not.

I might add more to this later because I feel like I forgot to add something but I can't think of it right at this moment.

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 03:23:00 am »
I feel Feral Heart would no longer be Feral Heart if hunting was implemented into the game. FH is meant to be a laid-back game. However, having two servers would definitely be cool- I just can't imagine that ever happening, not only because the mods lack the source code, but also because it would probably be very difficult to properly maintain two servers.

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n

Offline DarkLustyHumor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 04:24:09 am »
Although this would be a good idea for other games, a game like Feral Heart where imagination is really important for it, I don't think this would work too well. Plus we would have people trying to steal each other's kills and more trolling. Not to mention the game would get really laggy. For other games like Wolf Quest and Impressive Title servers it works, but not really for Feral Heart, and even in Impressive Title servers there tends to be a lot of fighting about lack of spawns or issues with people stealing kills.

Offline kinoei

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • nyeeeessss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »
I wouldn't mind it, but the huge problem would really be the trolls and such who will steal your kills, loots, take the last hit, etc.