Author Topic: game crashes when I'm trying to import map  (Read 872 times)

Offline Muxasii

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
game crashes when I'm trying to import map
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:44 am »
iz bored and wanting to make a random map, but when I type it in it just crashes....
A few things...
1. I'm using clip studio paint pro to make it
2. It's the right size
3. I don't know what alpha channel thing is o.o
4. I make sure the layers are merged if I have layers

idk what's going on ;-;

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: game crashes when I'm trying to import map
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:35:08 am »
Firstly I'll recommend Gimp to make your heightmap as it seems to be the most reliable

It must be 513x513 (just so you're sure about sizing c:)
It must be in grayscale mode (you can select this after clicking "new" or even while working on the heightmap)
Alpha channel must be off. It should be an option under transparency/layers (can't offer much help here since I don't know much about the program you're currently using)
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Muxasii

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 12:39:45 am »
I hate gimp :/ I have it but I don't really like using it... it's too confusing and it's mostly bugged out for me.... and I can't find anything about 'alpha channel' on it... I've used it for about a year... I tried searching it up just now and there isn't anything about it so I don't think there is one in my program. I've used it to make maps before and it didn't crash o.o

EDIT: I tried to remake the map but it still didn't work... gimp just crashes on me when I try to use it sometimes.... even if I try to do it the STUPID BLUR doesn't work and I like blur I NEED MY BLUR

II NEEEE D MY BLUR BLURI S M Y LIFE IT'S JUST MY LIFEW
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:02:43 am by SophieSilver »

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:36:44 am »
Well first of all what version of GIMP do you have?

In GIMP you can simply right-click on a layer and a menu should pop up, with something about Alpha Channel being near the bottom. If an Alpha Channel is enabled, the option will say "Remove Alpha Channel", which you will then click to remove it. If it says "Add Alpha Channel", leave it alone and don't click it, this means there is no Alpha Channel enabled. An Alpha Channel is basically what enables a layer to support transparency, if a layer does not have an Alpha Channel then it cannot and will not use transparency, which Map Maker doesn't support transparent layers. And GIMP will bold the names of a layer that doesn't have Alpha Channel enabled.

Also like Kiki mentioned, the heightmap must be 513x513 and in grayscale mode (simply painting in whites, blacks, and the in betweens isn't enough).

You can also try using .jpg instead of .png. I just tested a .jpg heightmap and it worked fine.

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:30:05 pm »
Be sure to right click on your single merged layer and click "Flatten Image" as well. An unflattened image may sometimes cause the game to crash.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.