Author Topic: Lags and low fps....(Hardware optimization)  (Read 2481 times)

Offline TechieWolf

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • U never know...
    • View Profile
Re: Lags and low fps....(Hardware optimization)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:07 pm »
uh the low FPS is probably due to the Ogre3d engine. Your hardware is a lot newer than the version of Ogre3d (ogre 1.7 was released in early 2010) used in FeralHeart. the only thing i can think of, would be to compile a direct3d rendersystem dll that uses a newer direct3d implementation and hope for the best (really i have no idea here :D), also assuming Ogre 1.7 has newer d3d support at all.

And this is what i wanted to know... Using DX11 would be a nice adition to the game, also NVIDIA Fur works would be even more epic because this game is full of fluff xD

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 12:24:34 pm »
so i got a little update on seeing if is possible:
firstly, i can't find the specific version of the Ogre SDK (1.7.2, mingW libs) used ANYWHERE on the internet, aside from blog posts that mention it;
I also can't determine the version of MingW used;
D3D9 and openGL are hard-coded accepted settings in ogre.cfg;
this is all assuming a newer d3dXX implementation would make a difference (i don't think it will, thinking back...);
you're more or else stuck with the engine bottleneck unfortunately.

something to read and consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA
http://www.visual-experiments.com/2010/04/26/cuda-integration-with-ogre3d/

CUDA probably wasn't utilised at all when setting up the engine for FeralHeart (it was still somewhat new, probably an after thought, et cetra). it would further confirm the engine (or at least how it is used) has the bottleneck and nothing else. it certainly would explain why lagging uses less resources. it's a shame, because that hardware sure is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:30:13 pm by Vilivikhorith »

Offline TechieWolf

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • U never know...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 02:19:46 pm »
so i got a little update on seeing if is possible:
firstly, i can't find the specific version of the Ogre SDK (1.7.2, mingW libs) used ANYWHERE on the internet, aside from blog posts that mention it;
I also can't determine the version of MingW used;
D3D9 and openGL are hard-coded accepted settings in ogre.cfg;
this is all assuming a newer d3dXX implementation would make a difference (i don't think it will, thinking back...);
you're more or else stuck with the engine bottleneck unfortunately.

something to read and consider: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA
http://www.visual-experiments.com/2010/04/26/cuda-integration-with-ogre3d/

CUDA probably wasn't utilised at all when setting up the engine for FeralHeart (it was still somewhat new, probably an after thought, et cetra). it would further confirm the engine (or at least how it is used) has the bottleneck and nothing else. it certainly would explain why lagging uses less resources. it's a shame, because that hardware sure is ridiculous.

CUDA Gpus can run OpenGL too...there are performnance loses but its not as dramatick..as this. Now that NVIDIA Gameworks is officialy open source it would be kinda a good idea to start playing arround with it.... this game would definitely benefit from it.

Youre basically saying that the game would have to be completely recoded and basically all what would stay is just the name of the game... I also had the idea of making two clients..one for people who have better computing power and for people with Windows98 Machines so a ultracompatible client and a optimized or a fancier and more detailed version. It would require a lot of time to do it but since DX11 is the standard today and NVIDIA Gameworks has a lot of fancy features (like NVIDIA Fur Works which is definitely amazing and it would be a beatyfull adition to the game) it would be definitely easyer than two years back for example. Also framerate results would be way better and we could have higher quiality textures more detailed stuff and such. Imagining the game like that makes me think why someone didnt tryed it yet since it would look amazing.

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 04:40:12 pm »

CUDA Gpus can run OpenGL too...there are performnance loses but its not as dramatick..as this. Now that NVIDIA Gameworks is officialy open source it would be kinda a good idea to start playing arround with it.... this game would definitely benefit from it.

Youre basically saying that the game would have to be completely recoded and basically all what would stay is just the name of the game... I also had the idea of making two clients..one for people who have better computing power and for people with Windows98 Machines so a ultracompatible client and a optimized or a fancier and more detailed version. It would require a lot of time to do it but since DX11 is the standard today and NVIDIA Gameworks has a lot of fancy features (like NVIDIA Fur Works which is definitely amazing and it would be a beatyfull adition to the game) it would be definitely easyer than two years back for example. Also framerate results would be way better and we could have higher quiality textures more detailed stuff and such. Imagining the game like that makes me think why someone didnt tryed it yet since it would look amazing.
unfortunately, FH is closed source, otherwise it looks pretty simple to implement, inside of Ogre any ways, using the abstractions it provides. If only...

FeralHeart using Ogre 1.6.1, and compiled in VC++ 2008.

It's isn't using CUDA.

uh i'm not sure where you found that out at, but I looked at the binary and did some cat grep pipes and found a cool path string.
"C:\Users\Kovu\Downloads\OgreSDK_mingw_v1-7-2\include\OGRE/OgreRenderable.h"
compilers always leave this mess in their vomit by default for some reason. x.x
also it self-reports as "Version 1.7.2 (Cthugha)" to standard output on execution.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:43:05 pm by Vilivikhorith »