Author Topic: Heightmap crash?  (Read 951 times)

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
Heightmap crash?
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:28:04 pm »
I am using grey tones, but for some reason the game crashes.
And as much as I want another program, all I have is stupid old MS Paint. :(
The dimensions are 513x513.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:38:52 pm by C.O.N.T.R.O.L. »
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

Offline TwistedProud

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • |:| A wandering soul |:|
    • http://twistedproud.deviantart.c
    • View Profile
Re: Heightmap crash?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:26:42 pm »

I don't know what's the MS Paint but I suggest you either take a look for tutorial on FH or download others program.
As an exemple, I use GIMP, which is a free program that work fine with height map~
Greyscale and 513x513 are not the only things you should look. Be sure there is no double layer| alpha chanel | and sometime, flatten the image.
IN THE END, WE ONLYREGRET THE CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:23 pm »
When you're creating the heightmap, make sure that you're not just using grey colors, but that you're actually using the Grayscale setting. I would recommend using a program such as GIMP, as I don't recall if MS paint allows you to format in the way that works best for a heightmap. With some programs such as Paintool SAI, you have to convert the image to Grayscale using GIMP, so you may have to do converting if you don't wish to create the heightmap image using GIMP's tools.

Make sure you have the Alpha Channel lock OFF and be sure to flatten all layers. c:

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline bunnylions

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
  • I'm stupid and I'm proud! :D
    • KazeoLion
    • channel/UCIabUy2dwwyNBHYt7j49XzA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:58:14 pm »

I don't know what's the MS Paint but I suggest you either take a look for tutorial on FH or download others program.
As an exemple, I use GIMP, which is a free program that work fine with height map~
Greyscale and 513x513 are not the only things you should look. Be sure there is no double layer| alpha chanel | and sometime, flatten the image.
When you're creating the heightmap, make sure that you're not just using grey colors, but that you're actually using the Grayscale setting. I would recommend using a program such as GIMP, as I don't recall if MS paint allows you to format in the way that works best for a heightmap. With some programs such as Paintool SAI, you have to convert the image to Grayscale using GIMP, so you may have to do converting if you don't wish to create the heightmap image using GIMP's tools.

Make sure you have the Alpha Channel lock OFF and be sure to flatten all layers. c:

The monster called password protection is the only thing keeping me away from GIMP, Paintool SAI, and the like.
Also, does MS Paint even support layers and alpha channel?
I checked the RGB values for the grey tones and they all match. However, I DID use some pure black and white.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:59:56 pm by C.O.N.T.R.O.L. »
Did you know I make games? :D
Meow.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:56 am »
I'm not familiar with MS paint, but if you're using GIMP, there's an option for you to select the Grayscale formatting (excuse the sloppy heightmap example): Under Advanced Options >> Color Space

If your MS Paint doesn't have this option, then I would be weary; the image itself is probably fine to use with MS, but if it doesn't have the Grayscale formatting, you may be running into your trouble there.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.