Author Topic: Rendering subsystem switching after crashes  (Read 994 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Rendering subsystem switching after crashes
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:55:35 am »
It seems that every time FH crashes, no matter the reason, that small box popping up resets the rendering subsystem to OpenGL. I suspect it is because there's only one option in the drop-down menu for selecting rendering subsystem.
I wouldn't mind having this problem if I didn't have to go into the Ogre.cfg to switch rendering subsystem to Direct3D9.

Screenshot:
There's only one option in the list. if that changes to OpenGL, then it will remain OpenGL until I switch rendering subsystems in the Ogre.cfg.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering subsystem switching after crashes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:02:58 am »
That is indeed what it does. I've often found that if I hit Cancel on that box and then re-open FH it will open up with the OpenGL option rather than Direct3D9 in that box. And likewise if it is on OpenGL and need to switch it to Direct3D9 in your case. Try that and see if it gives you the other rendering subsystem!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:51:39 pm »
That is indeed what it does. I've often found that if I hit Cancel on that box and then re-open FH it will open up with the OpenGL option rather than Direct3D9 in that box. And likewise if it is on OpenGL and need to switch it to Direct3D9 in your case. Try that and see if it gives you the other rendering subsystem!
I clicked cancel on the box before switching the rendering subsystem to Direct3D9, then I opened the box and it had switched the rendering subsystem to OpenGL. There was still only one option in the drop-down menu.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:55 pm »
It seems that every time FH crashes, no matter the reason, that small box popping up resets the rendering subsystem to OpenGL. I suspect it is because there's only one option in the drop-down menu for selecting rendering subsystem.
I wouldn't mind having this problem if I didn't have to go into the Ogre.cfg to switch rendering subsystem to Direct3D9.

Screenshot:
There's only one option in the list. if that changes to OpenGL, then it will remain OpenGL until I switch rendering subsystems in the Ogre.cfg.

This has happened to me as well, on my Windows 10 laptop, using Direct3D9... fh crashes for seemingly no reason after roughly 10-30 minutes, then it forces the rendering system to switch to OpenGL (and forces it to be windowed as well). But on OpenGL it can play uninterrupted. (Note that if it crashes for any reason it will also switch it from OpenGL back to Direct3D9 and will not give you the other option... (I also use the ogre.cfg to switch it back if that happens.)

Unfortunately this is just the nature of the game in its current state...
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:13:47 am »
Will making the ogre.cfg Read-Only prevent the game from switching it back? Or will it break the game?

Could we create another shortcut to the game that only leads to the game and can't open the box?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 12:15:44 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:23:14 am »
It works, Gui! I've set my ogre.cfg to be read-only and tried changing the rendering system (from the in-game menu) and /it did not change! Also the game works fine! :D

Edit: There is an unfortunate side effect, when the game crashes it does keep the same render system but immediately stops responding when you click OK. The reason this happens is because it doesn't try writing to the ogre.cfg until you click OK. >.<
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:36:30 am by VortexAlive »
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.