Author Topic: Hills and movement speed; Is flying faster?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Hills and movement speed; Is flying faster?
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:08:12 pm »
I am a person of speed.

I understand that being able to boost with wings could almost extinct wingless creatures, but is wings still a fast way to get around sand dunes?
Sure, flying straight to the destination is faster than moving around a big mountain. But I wonder if a landscape with hills affects the speed of anyone whom is running across it.

Running up a steep cliff is slower than running on a flat surface, but how does a hill affect running speed?

Flying into the air almost eliminates the chances of getting lost, yet boosting over hills is a fast way of getting somewhere.

Flying over water is slower than boosting across water, yet boosting around is a bit uncontrollable at times.
(Drawn by me, depicts a boosting wolf)
So are wings a speed penalty or is the boost ability slowing us down?

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
Re: Hills and movement speed; Is flying faster?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:25:58 pm »
Depends on what you are trying to do...

[Scenario 1: Travelling across Flat Water or Ground]
> Dashing = Fast!
> Wings = Slow!

[Scenario 2: Travelling up a Waterfall or Mountain]
> Dashing = Slow and Hard or Impossible!
> Wings = Easy and Fast!

[Scenario 3: Simply travel across a few Hills]
> Dashing = Moderate! (Slowed by elevation and obstacles.)
> Wings = Slow! (Same as flying over Flat Ground.)
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:37:32 pm »
Depends on what you are trying to do...

[Scenario 1: Travelling across Flat Water or Ground]
> Dashing = Fast!
> Wings = Slow!

[Scenario 2: Travelling up a Waterfall or Mountain]
> Dashing = Slow and Hard or Impossible!
> Wings = Easy and Fast!

[Scenario 3: Simply travel across a few Hills]
> Dashing = Moderate! (Slowed by elevation and obstacles.)
> Wings = Slow! (Same as flying over Flat Ground.)
I guess the dash is faster if you dash straight toward the destination. But, as the picture shows, dashing past the portal then running back toward the portal could slightly slow down that travel.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:39:43 pm »
Moving this over to game discussion since this seems more like a topic for discussion rather than seeking help
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:21:34 am »
If you travel at 60 MPH for 10 miles, and 30MPH for 10 miles. What is the elapsed time for the 20 mile travel? 30 minutes. The average speed is not 45 MPH though.  More like 40.
Now comes the part that is harder to gauge, If boosting along at a set ground speed in rolling hills was actually a longer distance than the airspeed -the total velocity you loose by not being able to dash, over a long enough distance it might actually be faster to fly.
  If you travel downhill at a ground speed of say... 100 game units per second then along the flats at 100 per second, but uphill can be slower (not sure but i suspect in game speed is units per X axis and an additional y axis the same speed can be added if you had wings)  Unless it was possible to gauge actual ground speed against airspeed (true X/Z axis speed?) then it might never be known if it's faster to fly uphill and run downhill.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:49:01 am »
If you travel at 60 MPH for 10 miles, and 30MPH for 10 miles. What is the elapsed time for the 20 mile travel? 30 minutes. The average speed is not 45 MPH though.  More like 40.
Now comes the part that is harder to gauge, If boosting along at a set ground speed in rolling hills was actually a longer distance than the airspeed -the total velocity you loose by not being able to dash, over a long enough distance it might actually be faster to fly.
  If you travel downhill at a ground speed of say... 100 game units per second then along the flats at 100 per second, but uphill can be slower (not sure but i suspect in game speed is units per X axis and an additional y axis the same speed can be added if you had wings)  Unless it was possible to gauge actual ground speed against airspeed (true X/Z axis speed?) then it might never be known if it's faster to fly uphill and run downhill.
Flying close to the ground uphill does have collisions with the hill which may result in a decrease in speed, but rising above the ground uphill then landing to run downhill might result in a speed increase if the Y axis decrease adds to the speed of X axis movement. If a decrease in the Y axis is treated like running on a flat surface(No slipping) then there will be no speed increase by running downhill.

Boosting into obstacles and having to move backwards and around can lengthen the time it takes to reach the destination, while flying up and running down lets you see the obstacle and avoid collision with wings and therefor you travel straight to the destination.
To me, curvy paths are slower. The longer the distance you travel, the more trees and rocks you'll find in your path and trees and rocks make paths curvy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:52:32 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.