Author Topic: Advertising  (Read 3213 times)

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
Re: Advertising
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:54 am »
Yep, I kind off agree with the registration thing.
But I'd like to add, if you look at the analytics, you will see that  "Average registrations per day:86.78" which means that around 87 people catch the registration and register every day.
Now imagine if the registration was open. There would be too many people registering every day, and unfortunately out server can't handle that.
High demand + limited supply = more value
Limited supply + more value = high demand
If the registration is open 24/7, the server won't break in the long run. Slowly starting to open the registration more often will reduce overfilling the server.
I think making the registration cycle like Flight Rising would be desirable, which opens once a week every month. This gives enough time for people to register and won't fill the server in a day.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 04:44:37 pm »
But I'd like to add, if you look at the analytics, you will see that  "Average registrations per day:86.78" which means that around 87 people catch the registration and register every day.
Now imagine if the registration was open. There would be too many people registering every day, and unfortunately out server can't handle that.

I don't think we can really rely on the Statistics Center. It also shows that the average posts on the forum per day are 331.91.
But I don't see 300 new posts every day. Do you? ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:46:24 pm by Moontwist »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Lucius

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 07:23:04 pm »

I don't think we can really rely on the Statistics Center. It also shows that the average posts on the forum per day are 331.91.
But I don't see 300 new posts every day. Do you? ;D

I don't want to risk this turning into another "bring back registration" topic, so I'll put my opinion on that in a spoiler.

I have a feeling that the statistics center might be a bit broken.

If you look at the "New Members" column, the forum doesn't seem to register anyone who made an account after June 2016 (or October 2016 if you count that 22).

However, I assume that the way the forum calculates the average posts per day is by adding up all of the posts since 2011 and divides that by the total amount of days that have passed since the forum was made.

I did the same thing. I added up all the days from 2011 to 2017, while assuming that each year had 365 days. That came up to 2555. I then added up the total number of posts from 2011 to  2017, which was 867,658. I divided the post count by the day count and got 339.59. Obviously that's not a very effective way of representing the average posts per day, as it assumes that there's an equal number of posts every day, which isn't true.

This means that the average registration per day is calculated the same way; by adding up all of the members who registered since 2011 and dividing by the number of days since then. I also assume that the number is skewed because of the forum's apparent problem with recognizing new members since 2016.

The restricted registration was imposed at the end of September 2012. I'll calculate the average number of newly registered members from 2013 to 2015 (inclusively), to give you a better picture of the actual statistics. 365 * 3 = 1095. 23,937 + 26,173 + 26,935 = 77,045. 77, 045/1095 = 70.36.

If we assume the trend has continued like that since 2015, then we can say that we have an average of 70 new members every day (if the registration was open every day and the exact same number of people registered each time).

Thing is, this was done to minimize the server load. The average number of registrations per day for the year of 2011 was around 209.36. Now, that's practically three times as many members as we get today.

How about implementing a different system? Instead of randomly opening the registration, why not make the registration a free for all at the beginning of every month? Put a hard cap of 2000-3000 new members and then close the registration until the next month. At least then people will know when to expect it opening up.

As far as my thoughts on the current topic go...

What I'm saying is, if some of you think this game is dying/has a declining playerbase, do you want to try to help it in some way?

The one thing I can propose that I haven't heard said before is advertising. Not paid advertising, just like word of mouth, but more official and targeted at different communities and audiences. Here's a (bad) example, a big journal made on dA about FH shared to animal art groups aside from the FH group itself. It can be done, can it not? It's not like this game isn't progressing, even if we don't have the source code the staff are still finding ways to update the game... so maybe it's time to try updating the community a little too? Some people just don't see the game from all angles, and people from different corners of the internet would have zero biases.

I'm all for new members. Honestly, I would love to come into the game and see a bunch of excited new people running around. Thing is, this game is targeted to a pretty niche audience. The thing that Wolf Quest has going for it, is that it's an educational game, so schools and parents are more inclined to introduce the game to their children.

Maybe try pushing the character customization, as well as map-building and preset-making aspect of it. Give it a familiar catchphrase; something like "The world is what you make it" kind of thing. A catchy slogan might draw some people in.

Perhaps exposing this game towards more artistic communities might help. Bring back the Preset Contest, maybe make a "Draw The Staff" Contest (draw anything FH-related, really) or introduce a Map-Making Contest. I thought the Fanfiction Contest was a good idea, so maybe bring some of that back, along with a new Mesh/Item Contest.

As a reward for these, you could get the chance that your mesh, map, and/or item will be featured in an official Staff Update. As for the drawing and writing contests, we could get those featured on the forums, with a link to the artist's DA, Tumblr, and whatever other website they have. And of course, the artwork and DA points were also good incentives.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:31:05 pm by Lucius »

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:27:32 pm »

Exactly. I completely agree with what you said. I couldn't have said it better myself. +floof

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:08 pm »
I'm all for new members. Honestly, I would love to come into the game and see a bunch of excited new people running around. Thing is, this game is targeted to a pretty niche audience. The thing that Wolf Quest has going for it, is that it's an educational game, so schools and parents are more inclined to introduce the game to their children.

Maybe try pushing the character customization, as well as map-building and preset-making aspect of it. Give it a familiar catchphrase; something like "The world is what you make it" kind of thing. A catchy slogan might draw some people in.

Perhaps exposing this game towards more artistic communities might help. Bring back the Preset Contest, maybe make a "Draw The Staff" Contest (draw anything FH-related, really) or introduce a Map-Making Contest. I thought the Fanfiction Contest was a good idea, so maybe bring some of that back, along with a new Mesh/Item Contest.

As a reward for these, you could get the chance that your mesh, map, and/or item will be featured in an official Staff Update. As for the drawing and writing contests, we could get those featured on the forums, with a link to the artist's DA, Tumblr, and whatever other website they have. And of course, the artwork and DA points were also good incentives.

I also very much support this. Involving the community in the updates would probably bring back some old members as well as new. Personally what drew me so much into the game and community was how the staff were players as much as they were administrators. People were chosen from the community for their contributions. Maybe the same kind of system with mesh or animation makers for the game can create another sense of that unity.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya