Author Topic: What causes a terrain texture to be in the list but not work?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
The ground is a bee when I select this terrain texture I've turned a floor picture into.

Screenshot:

Below is the image I'm trying to put on the ground, as seen selected in the list in the screenshot.
One of BuildDirect's floor pictures.
Found on Google.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:30:12 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Member Of The Season
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 98
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a terrain texture to not work?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 01:58:15 am »
Yellow and black stripey ground texture means it's a "missing texture". As you said yourself a misplaced or removed file.

If the game cannot find the texture it's looking for, it will replace it with this yellow and black texture for whatever it's missing one for. You really should be careful and remember where you move things and not click around too much.

If you are unable to find where you moved these files to, or if they are in your recycle bin for you to restore the items removed, since you already know it's the ground texture, I'd suggest following:

Install another copy of feralheart on your desktop or in a custom path like C:\Backupferalheart\FeralHeart temporarily. Find your way into the game folder of the new backup feralheart you installed and go into media\terrains\textures until you see all the ground textures.

Once you're there copy ALL the content inside of the folder. Go back to your original FeralHeart game(most likely installed in C:\FeralHeart, go into it's media\terrains\textures and then PASTE the textures you got from the new game. It will put in any missing textures that way.

This way if you have any custom mods or textures anyplace else you don't need to redownload them in a new game, just fix your first issue, however if these instructions are too hard to follow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just re-install your game, remove the game from C:\FeralHeart, then install a new game again.

Snagged this from another thread about black and yellow texture - I'd suggest glancing through this and use bits and pieces you see fit from this for your problem. ;w;
also a few more quotes others suggested on this kind of topic.

Since you know how to download it, I'm going to be a bit less specific.

1. Unzip the file.
2. Put all files inside into my_objects unless it is a png image. Place the png images into feralheart>media>textures (some computers don't need to separate them, others do.)
3. Restart FH.
4. Open Object maker.
5. Go into Mesh tab.
6. Put what the file name was (you may need to look at the original folder to see what the person named it!) and add .mesh after it.

Usually the black and yellow texture means you are missing a file or a file has been corrupted.
Are you sure you have all the needed textures in your Media>Terrain folder?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:04:50 am by D-ead7Dog »
WORK IN PROGRESS
Artwork (c) LynxBrush & Majorest

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a terrain texture to not work?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:18:04 am »
Quote 1: I've already got two installs of Feralheart and both terrains folders have the file in them, I've reinstalled the affected install of Feralheart one too many times in an attempt to make the trees show up long ago. The terrain texture still doesn't work.
Reading the quote closer, the quote details the process of fixing missing textures that came with the game, the textures that came with the game are fine as you can see the default terrain textures are not selected in the list. Should I search through Google again and re-download all the images I'm trying to turn into textures?

Quote 2: The file was not in a zip, is not made for Object Maker and is not in a format designed to go on an exported mesh. Is the Object Maker not letting the terrains show up? Does this texture need a material file? I don't think the Object Maker has anything to do with terrain textures, the ground does not have a flat plane on it, the list is not a list of objects.

Quote 3: The file is in both "C:/Feralheart/Media/Terrains/Textures" and the Terrains folder itself as well, the ground is still a bee.

The texture's height and width match each-other. It's a .jpg file. There are three textures that are doing the same thing and those three textures are all hardwood floor images that I'm trying to make terrain textures out of.

On the other install of FH, the terrain is black.

Sorry if I came off as grumpy, today I'm a bit moody.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:36:32 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Member Of The Season
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 98
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a terrain texture to be in the list but not work?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
Have you checked for doubled files or moved folders?
Perhaps even changing it to a .png miiighht help. give it a shot. ;o;
WORK IN PROGRESS
Artwork (c) LynxBrush & Majorest

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Offline FlyingGrass

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • FlyingGrass
    • View Profile
Re: What causes a terrain texture to be in the list but not work?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:55:22 pm »
I fixed it now, the name of the terrain texture had a space in it and the space was causing the texture to not work.

Thank you, D-ead7Dog, if I ever have problems with a terrain texture in the future and it's not the texture's name then I'll try your suggestions! :)

My presets.