Author Topic: Putting in Height Map Crashes FH .. please help?..  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
Re: Putting in Height Map Crashes FH .. please help?..
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:57:37 am »
Everything Ingredient said is perfect except for one thing. not "possibly" in your map folder. It is mandatory that your heightmap be placed in your map's folder.

If you are sure you did everything right and FeralHeart still crashes when you add your heightmap, either post it here or send it to me via PM and i will test them out and tell you what the problem is.

Well it doesnt HAVE to be in the map folder (though thats what i do) others sometimes place them anywhere in the Terrains folder and it still works.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Siskin

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 04:12:25 am »
Ok then, i take it back. It only SHOULD be in your map folder :)

The games engine scans all files at startup and has them all declared globally so pretty much regardless of where you put your files, they are available. But spreading them all over the place is a bad ideea. If you for example want to continue the map development on a different computer and your map files are spread all over the place, you are in deep trouble. Personally i put absolutely everything the map uses in it's folder. That way it's all organized.

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 06:12:16 am »
Personally i put absolutely everything the map uses in it's folder. That way it's all organized.

Exactly the same with me, its something i add when people are discussing these things.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Crin

• The Silver-Tongue
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 113
  • The Illuminati Pedro Hat
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:19 am »
I honestly have the same issue. And yet... for some reason, it fixes itself when I pull it up again (I use Gimp) and rename it something. Oh, you don't like the name "test", eh? Well let's see if you work when I name you "GelatinousCubes"! And I swear, it has fixed my problem every single time. Even after I do everything right the first time. Does that actually work with anyone else? Or is my computer vying to take over the internet and already using its' mind control skills on me?
Resigned, quit, and basically long gone.

P R I D E <3

Siskin

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 02:47:46 pm »
Hmm... sounds like like the game was crashing not because of incorrect heightmap, but because of multiple declaration error. If you create 2 objects of the same type with the same name (maps/materials/particles/etc) the game will crash.

Before you ask, yeah it happened to me to, though not with maps.

Conclusion: Don't name your stuff to something as generic as "test". Use names that are unlikely to be repeated anywhere else ^^

Offline Nanaki

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »
Siskin, can I send you one of the heightmaps I created? It...really doesn't like me, no matter what I do with it.

Siskin

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 10:10:31 am »
sure, send it and i'll check if there's  a problem with it.

Offline Nanaki

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:26 pm »
I ended up finding out what the problem was. I had to use GIMP to flatten the image and change it from a greyscale-alpha to a plain greyscale.