Author Topic: Claws or Nails?  (Read 11279 times)

Chipper

Re: Claws or Nails?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 12:11:37 pm »
Ok yes, wolves don't use there claws/nails for wounding, they use them for gripping the ground when hunting. But if an average house dog were to 'scratch' you, it can really hurt, it depends on how often their claws/nails are trimmed or what sort of terrain they usualy walk on. For instance, if a dog lived in a city and was usually on concrete, their claws/nails would be blunter because they would have wore down when walking on concrete, but if a dog lived in the country, there would be less chance of their claws being worn down, so they would be sharper, and since wolves don't tend to live in citys, their claws/nails would be sharp. But no, wolves don't use there claws for wounding, simply gripping the ground.

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:38 am »
Interesting... now that I think about it, dog claws don't hurt that much. I've never had a wolf use his claws in a roleplay to wound somebody else, just because I never thought about it doing much damage... It makes sense that canids would only use their jaws now that I'm reading this. After all, I think I calculated that a wolf's bite pressure is about 100 times that of atmospheric pressure.

Thanks for reminding me - I probably would have messed up and used my claws somewhere... ^^;

Offline Toxikk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • HoNk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:18 am »
I've been studying canines for a few years. Not professionally, but using things such as books, TV shows, and such..never have I seen a canine use their claws/nails. Now, a cat, totally different story. Dogs and wolves mainly attack with their body force and teeth. Wolf claws probably could be painful though. House dogs, not so much. Don't forget that most owners trim/cut their dog's claws/nails.

In a semi-realistic roleplay I'd think it'd be mildly tolerable. Same thing with a non realistic roleplay. But if you're going for complete realism and the person is just like "scratching" you, I think its annoying, unrealistic, and for all you people who deal with this, maybe just stop role playing with that person, or remind them before starting that it is realistic and that canine fights do not involve claws. :3
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:52:57 am by GaMzEe! »

Offline Miles101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Praise Helix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:37 pm »
Felines have retractable claws that they use for various things like fighting. Canines have nails that are not retractable, like humans. They don't use their nails much, and they're mostly there for extra traction. Canines fight and hunt mainly with their teeth.

Strange how self-proclaimed animal lovers don't know much about animals.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »
I have three dogs, all of which I am constantly playfighting with (yes I am mad lol :P) and all the time they always use their teeth, the only time I have ever seen one of my dogs use even their paws to attack was when it had bit onto my jumper and was using its paw to push it, but he was failing and it just looked like he was scratching. so even when I have seen a dog use its nails, it wasn't even on purpose. don't know who these people are, thinking that wolves have retractable claws, but yeah, probably little kids who don't want to learn of people older than them  :-\

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:20 pm »
Canines using nails doesn't bother me too much, even though it is far from realistic.

But you know what does bother me, canines having retractable claws. I always see people roleplaying wolves say things like "claws come out" or "retracts claws".
No No No No! Felines are the only animals that can retract their claws! Canines do not have retractable claws! That is one of my pet peeves.

I don't mind them using claws in fights that much, though.