Author Topic: Disney abit to scary...?  (Read 9951 times)

Offline aviannerd

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Disney abit to scary...?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »
No, heck no.
Modern Disney, or at least the majority of it, is far from scary.
I mean, there are a few exceptions, like how they pulled off Dr. Facilier's defeat in "Princess and the Frog" which impressed me for a Disney film.
That and, as Zaroque said, it's involvement of voodoo.

HOPEFULLY "Frankenweenie" will pull it off as a decent scary film.
Tim Burton's lost some of his luster since "The Nightmare Before Christmas", but who knows.

But yes, it really does depend on what scares you, what surprises you, and what you can understand about it.
Even age matters, and not just on how scary it is, but to really see what makes a movie so dark.
As the others have mentioned,
a fine example of a Disney film like that is "Hunchback of Notre Dame," which, while it has those cute and funny moments, does has some very good parts that reflect on the darker side of Paris's history.
These dark scenes cannot be found in Disney films today.

And remember good old "Fantasia?"
You know, the scene with Chernabog?
Yeah, zero percent chance you're gonna see that in a Disney movie today.

So, I've abandoned Disney, with the exception of Pixar.
Truth be told, the last animated film that really scared the bejeebers out of me was "Monster House" but that isn't Disney...

I love monster house, probably one of the only ''scary'' animated movies out there that would make you jump. And as for Princess and the Frog. I hated fairytales but I was forced to watch it with my sister, as soon as I saw the voodoo scene I was sucked into it.
Was an amazing cartoon in my opinion.

But I love animated scares, which is why I love to watch anime such as GDW and Wolfs rain, some people may not really understand. X3
Also if you notice some TV shows, such as Adventure Time (Which I stalk regularly) They have many hidden messages in them, which I love because it means the media hasn't banned every bad thing. X3

But in Ireland they are way overprotective of kids, they blocked out nearly all of the subliminal messages in these shows.
But Adventure time isn't exactly for little kids. X3

My post makes absolutely no sense anymore.

Many, many hidden messages in 'Adventure time' , thats why I watch it. I enjoy scary things. If you find one, point me to it.

Offline safarirun123

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Sexy *_* _IWANNALIVEINLANDOFLOTRTABLEFLIP_
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:00 pm »
Modern Disney films are just about as scary as a basket of sleeping kittens, but the old-school Disney could be pretty dark at times. That scene in Pinocchio where we see the boys-turned-donkeys being shoved into crates and sold to the salt mines was pretty dark. Especially so when we never see if any of them ever turn human again, and the bad guys get away with it. Bambi's mother's death scene is another notoriously grim Disney moment, and countless others.

And like Draak mentioned earlier, Disney took a lot of risks with The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA&feature=player_detailpage
Disney would NEVER be able to get away with something like this nowadays.
My word is wow... o.o
~             ~  * ~    Crystal   ~ * ~          ~

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 06:59:03 pm »
The Hellfire song in the Hunchback of Notre Dame was generally stating the strong Catholic beliefs in France at that time, which was very clever and historical for Disney.
The old Disney was much more entertaining than the modern-rubbish that's being made now by the company. Children would find the song rather scary/intimidating, but it gives amazing depth to the character and France in general.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline lugailover

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
    • View Profile
    • Foxes of Ireland
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »
The Hellfire song in the Hunchback of Notre Dame was generally stating the strong Catholic beliefs in France at that time, which was very clever and historical for Disney.
The old Disney was much more entertaining than the modern-rubbish that's being made now by the company. Children would find the song rather scary/intimidating, but it gives amazing depth to the character

I agree.
Have you seen that horrible S**t they put on TV these days? My sister actually copys what they do on television, making her act like an absolute brat, it's not funny at all, and those laughs that come after unfunny and overused jokes are just ridiculous, I liked the old shows that had funny and original jokes. Adventure time is like that, (Once again I fangirl about Adventure time) Because everything is just so random, but so original and unique!

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 07:10:15 pm »
The old Disney was much more entertaining than the modern-rubbish that's being made now by the company. Children would find the song rather scary/intimidating, but it gives amazing depth to the character

I agree.
Have you seen that horrible S**t they put on TV these days? My sister actually copys what they do on television, making her act like an absolute brat, it's not funny at all, and those laughs that come after unfunny and overused jokes are just ridiculous, I liked the old shows that had funny and original jokes. Adventure time is like that, (Once again I fangirl about Adventure time) Because everything is just so random, but so original and unique!

It's terrible, however, they're steadily making an improvement on their films. Some of their Comedy is getting better, along with 'Gravity Falls', which is very Adventure Time-ish.

But I'll tell you this, in Fantasia (Old one), they did an extremely demonic and very scary short with the devil rising the dead. I was generally scared watching it. Cx
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline lugailover

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
    • View Profile
    • Foxes of Ireland
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »

I agree.

It's terrible, however, they're steadily making an improvement on their films. Some of their Comedy is getting better, along with 'Gravity Falls', which is very Adventure Time-ish.

But I'll tell you this, in Fantasia (Old one), they did an extremely demonic and very scary short with the devil rising the dead. I was generally scared watching it. Cx

I agree, I used to ''Love'' That's so Raven, brilliant show, and some ICarly episodes are alright. And I kind of like Gravity Falls, though in my opinion it's a bit boring. X3

What I also must rant about is the new Spongebob episodes, man, spongebob was my childhood, the only two shows I remember watching in New Zealand are Spongebob and Meerkat Manor. X3
They have absolutely disgraced the new Spongebob episodes in my opinion. I hate them and I can't stand 3 minutes of a Spongebob episode now.

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »
Agreed about Spongebob, but they're not exactly Disney.

Disney have a long way to go since their family-run-business became not so family-run anymore. All film's should have suspense, but sometimes they take it too far.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:37 pm »
I remember reading an article about some people doing an experiment with Spongebob a while ago. LOL

Turns out kids that were exposed to some Spongebob did worse on tests. Those out of the small number that were used for the experiment, of course.

OK BACK ON TOPIC

I've alway been a lover of comedy though, in honesty. It's why I have a liking for Brave. I love it when those tiny little bears chase that woman to get that key. It's right out there too in how they get it [even though they don't show it, which I doubt they would have in the past either], it's flat out hilarious.

First Toy Story movie scared the crap out of me, but I was a bit squeamish back then so it's not so surprising :'D I was easy to scare when I was little.

Any of you guys remember Mickey and the Beanstalk? Donald went flat out crazy and grabbed an axe or something in that movie if I remember it.

Then there were those crows in Dumbo. ._. They weren't "scary" in the "I am scared!" sense, though.

No, wait. There were several scenes in Dumbo that just freaked the crap out of me, now that I think about it.

wolfgirl56

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »
Yeah, I've seen Mickey and the Beanstalk. It scared me a little.

Offline funnylioness4536

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
Um...have you seen Bambi? Or the Fox and the Hound or the Lion King? Someone dies in all of those movies!
If life gives you lemons than you make lemonade that tastes really bad. Where are you going to get the sugar and water?