Author Topic: Sai  (Read 2318 times)

Offline MidKnightxStar

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I found a thing...
    • View Profile
Sai
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:32 am »
so i was just curious weather or not i could use sai as a hight map creator. my mask worked but not the hieght map... it doesnt matter too much, as im downloading gimp tomarrow, but it would be convienient.
30% Gamer.
40% Anim�-freak.
45% Pok�mon Know-it-all.
80% Obsessed.
55% Pok�mon Fan.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Sai
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:30:47 am »
I believe you can use Sai for making height maps but I'm not too much of a map making expert. If anything you'd want to verify that in this section of the forum instead since this kind of post doesn't really belong in Game Discussion:
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&board=24.0

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:54 pm »
Although it's the wrong place, Sai should work fine; I genuinely don't see why it wouldn't, providing it's saved in the correct format (I've never used GIMP myself for maps!). I'll give it a go in a moment- just to see if it there is an issue. :D

Edit: There is an issue! Sai doesn't appear to have a grayscale mode which is seemingly pivotal for map-making. Whilst the map I quickly scribbled is solely made of grays:

It's still in RGB mode (aka, you can still use colours on it); Sai doesn't seem to have an option to swap to Grayscale (which I think GIMP does). It's best to use GIMP or Photoshop I'm afraid!

From the Manual:

3. The image must be saved/edited in grayscale mode and cannot consist of or use colours(If not the game will crash)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:44:03 pm by Nemena »

SoulRevenge

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »
I've always used Sai for /EVERYTHING/, including maps; however, as Nemena mentioned, Sai does not have a grayscale option, and a height-map must be in greyscale.

I'd suggest saving it as whatever the heck you want, fleeing to GIMP, changing it to 'Greyscale' from there, and that's about it~ x3

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:51 pm »
I don't know if it will work for the heightmap when it comes to setting the image to greyscale but you could try testing this idea out:
http://sakuragx4nina.deviantart.com/art/How-to-convert-a-drawing-to-a-GREYSCALE-in-SAI-304636058

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:24 pm »
I don't know if it will work for the heightmap when it comes to setting the image to greyscale but you could try testing this idea out:
http://sakuragx4nina.deviantart.com/art/How-to-convert-a-drawing-to-a-GREYSCALE-in-SAI-304636058

Unfortunately, that doesn't change the image's mode; it only seems to change the colours. FH still crashed when I tried to load the map, sadly! :(

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »
Oh that sucks. Guess she's got her answer then. Thanks for testing it out Nemena ^_^ It's good for me to know too.

Offline MidKnightxStar

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I found a thing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
thanks for all the help guys! i did indeed figure the answer out and use gimp now! i am sorry i have not replied to your answers, i completely forgot about this thread when i got gimp... >,< ADHD is killer in these situations. but thank you all the same!!!
30% Gamer.
40% Anim�-freak.
45% Pok�mon Know-it-all.
80% Obsessed.
55% Pok�mon Fan.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »