• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Trends
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »
Well the title's pretty simple, this thread is about trends! (Well done Flob have a gold star).

Like in any other community, like schools for example, FeralHeart has phases when certain trends are 'the thing' to have or to be doing. These are mostly character and roleplay trends, where lots of people make a specific type of character or species of character and join one of the two dozen roleplays that are all very similar about that specific type of character.

Here's an example: remember when police dog characters were suddenly 'the in thing' and nearly every floof on Bonfire Island made a brown canine character with German shephard markings to resemble, yes you've guessed it, a GSD? These are the kind of trends I'm talking about.
Other examples I know of are fightwolves/dogs, panthers, "Wanted"s (o.0?), white tigers and foxes. No doubt there are probably plenty more.

A group of German shephard police dogs on Bonfire Island

So, the question for today is what are your thoughts on these trends, and have you ever jumped on the bandwagon and joined in with one of them? Share some of your experiences you've had with popular trends that are or have been.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:02:34 pm by DoctorFlob »

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Trends
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:59:49 pm »
I think the 'trend' is often seen as negative and pointless things because people are constantly telling us to role play in new groups like you explained with the dogs; panthers, wanted's, white tigers/tigers and foxes. There are trends every where I turn, but even though this sometimes causes pressure on people since everyfloof wanting to follow the trends and look the same. But I see this in a different angle. Some people see trends as a positive thing because there are so many different trends that fits into someones style of role play. Somewhere out there is something that suits one person's type of trend that shows who they really are and shows their own unique style. I think trends are awesome because the person who starts them have shown what they have a very authentically assured about them selves. Like Pegasus's for example. The person who started the trend of Pegasus's have their own solitary style of role play.

Well spotted, Flobby <3 You made a great point on different Trends :3

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline mossstar1992

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Poofle-Woofle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:12 pm »
I don't normaly join these b/c im too lazy 2 make a new char.

Big trends ive seen at times that helped me:
_Lion exsplosion O.O
_Warriors exsplosion
some that havnt helped:
_Im the only person who owns a Skoggcat ._.
[Skoggcats: Mossstar1992.wix.com/Skoggcats ]

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:12 pm »
I joined in on the police dog thing once. :o But I was ignored due to the mass amounts of police dogs and the chaos of it all. Everyone wanted to be the top police dog.  Good times. :3 I like trends, I think they are very interesting and it's also something to just giggle about. If there weren't trends things would be more bland even.

Offline femalecreature

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • it is i the official eggplant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:54:39 pm »
Ah, err... lots of fight-dogs and wanted's in Ficho Tunnel. o3o Let's not forget the "Pokemon Phase," merrrrrp. So many trends. I bet there might've been more before I joined. o3o
egg me up inside (can't egg up)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:03:44 pm »
I didn't think about trends from Buffy's perspective...Trends can be seen in a negative light as some people follow the people who set the trend like sheep.
But it's the trend-setters that should be looked at positively, because they're brave enough to be thier own unique style and not like everyone else...that is until everyone else decides to join in. xD

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:53 pm »
Ahh, I have noticed these before~ Good thread, Flob. c:

While I can't say I ever joined the Police Dog explosion, I did jump in on the 'street dog' fad that took off several months ago. While they never quite held root, they were quite popular for some time, and I'd made two dachshunds named Sebastian and Aurick, and another dingo-like breed whose name escapes me at the moment.
My experience with it? Well... It was honestly pretty fun, but like some fad RPs, they tend to be very short-lived from group to group. My main observance, though, is that they came in all sorts of roleplay writing styles, and any color or personality you could think of. It certainly was fun, though, and I still smile when I think of those short-lived, but very fun RP sessions we had. (And somehow Sebastian got all the ladies chasing after him. Despite his chronic shortness. xD Not sure how that happened, though, since he's the typical "Rawr, come at me, I'm a big bad weenie dog! D:<" type.)

Good times~ ^^ I do agree with Mossy, though. There certainly is a strong-rooted hold on the warrior clans nowadays. Perhaps it just goes in cycles?
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
As much as I stay away from Bonfire I have seen this trend in Ficho alot too. And regrettably as I might say it, I had a K9 Police dog too. I don't anymore though, this happened a long, long time ago.

Usually this kind of trend won't really go away, it's kinda fun to RP like that really. People have different ways to have fun, and this trend is one of thous. Now that I look back at this, I did have fun RPing as a police dog. Kinda reminded me of me being in Law and Order. It was nothing but good fun honestly
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline FlewToTheCity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
  • Mother Wolf
    • FlewToTheCity2
    • comandoness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:43:37 am »
Ah, The trends I have seen in bonfire are the Horse trend, TLK trend and the GSD trend. I would have to say them three are the worst I have seen over my years. Ones in flourite would have to be the Warrior cats, Sparkly dogs and a while back the Lion trend. Thats all I have seen :3

Avatar by Atrociious | Signature by Scottishy

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:40:27 am »
There seems to be something very appealing about trends, I think. Otherwise why would people join them?
It must be the impression that they give - it would make sense to think, if a lot of people are doing it, it must be fun right?
That must be what I thought when I joined the fightwolf trend. I was fun for a time...but I was mostly ignored because my character was very different compared to the others; smallish, while other peoples' dogs and wolves were massive. I did make one good friend though which was nice. I eventually left because there was too much drama going on for my liking and all the good roleplayers left, leaving the illiterate, powerplaying types.
Sometimes I go back to that place in Ficho Tunnel to watch them and reminisce about old times.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)