Author Topic: Different Gender Characters Rant  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
Different Gender Characters Rant
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:47:18 pm »
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Different Gender Characters Rant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:34 pm »
Ahh, this is a lot like the 'Cross-Gender RPers' thread.
I am sorry you were fussed at by some kid over your character, though, Feareh. Your jaguar Feareh is beautiful, and I adore his colors, bio, and everything. <3

The thing with having a fursona that is a different gender than yourself is less about the gender, and more about what that character means to you.
It's not weird, it's not 'disgusting', it's just another character.
For example, I use Linger, my white-maned, male lion, as my main avatar. Of course, I am female in real life, and Linger is a male lion. However, I don't see him exactly as myself. Like all of my characters, I give them some of my own traits, which makes them mean something to me. In this case, Linger is like my male 'counterpart', since he shares a lot of my own qualities. He is a guardian-type lion, the same way I find myself acting like a guardian/caregiver over my real-life and in-game friends and fellows, often by instinct. So, in that way, I sympathize with him, and see him as something close to me.
He was also one of those characters that just kind of 'happened', and something about his design and the few times I roleplayed as him simply fell into place, and 'he' told me that he was the guardian type.
(For any hardcore roleplayers, you may understand what I mean by a character doing things seemingly 'on their own'. xD But, I digress.)

Or, going in the totally opposite direction, one's avatar doesn't even have to be super-similar to yourself for you to use them a lot. Or a little. If you like the character... Then what's the big deal, anyway? Self-expression is key, and if you like your character, that's what matters, and makes them beautiful.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

BouncyLion101

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:41 pm »
I've seen this happen before..and it's happened to me too.
It's just awful. :I

Mainly all of the people that react this way are younger and may find it "weird" to act as a different gender while in character.
There's also plenty of people that have barely learned about roleplay and don't really know how it works and that your character is not you, but just what the name suggests: a character.

I find it quite boring to be restricted to roleplay as one gender too. Why should I change my creation to suit someone's liking? It's like changing your whole outfit just because someone may think that outfit is weird or strange.

I suggest trying to explain the difference between your character and you as a person. Maybe the people reacting that will understand why you roleplay as a male and not just only females.

thoughtless

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:43 am »
I seen this before, too...

i play as a male character too, i really like to play as both.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:08 am »
I was once just like, "Saga M." I eventually grew out of that unfair opinion though. Just ignore those people until they get over it, their opinion doesn't matter, only your own. They are probably young and not very accepting of different things yet.

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:08 am »
That is EXACTLY what happens to me all the time, hence why I made the thread about "Cross-Gender Rpers" (which is what I call them to avoid confusion). All of the characters on my account are male, and it seems almost every time I tell someone I am a girl in real life and a guy in-game, some random person gets really worked up about it. They call my lesbian and tell me to get off the game sometimes ._. I just do exactly what you do, tell them there is nothing wrong with it, and if they keep bothering me, block them.  Sorry you had to experience this, for it doesnt make a pleasant memory e.e
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:25:12 am »
There is nothing wrong with cross-gender rping or making characters the opposite sex to you!
Please get that into your heads people >.<

Anyway, I think what people are associating cross-gender rpers and the like with are transvestites - individuals who dress like the opposite sex. E.g. A man wearing a dress and makeup. Some people seem to think that's weird. Okay, it can be a bit startling at times and make you double take, but there isn't anything wrong with it. People will dress how they want to dress; our society isn't so corrupt that we have dress codes now.

The same principle should apply here to FeralHeart. End of.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:07 pm »
Don't let silly people like that get you frustrated Feareh. Often these individuals are young kids who don't know any better or individuals who aren't too well cultured. There's nothing wrong with you playing as a male character in fact I've already said my opinion on this before on another very similar thread so I'll just repeat here for anyone else who reads:

I think it's pretty obvious that I'm one of these "cross gender" RPers since my main character is Lord Suragaha. I've always preferred rping as a male character simply because it's more challenging and more fun to rp as something I am not. Of course I have met a few people who think I'm strange for doing this and automatically assume that I am lesbian etc. While I have nothing against lesbians &/or gays I am straight and have been in a serious relationship with my bf for several years now so I find it silly when people draw assumptions about my real life identity through the character that I play in a game. Just because a character is the opposite gender from yourself does not mean you can not rp with it or have just as much fun as someone else would with it. Many popular video games like Assassins Creed, Halo, & Gears of War etc all have males as the main playable characters so does that mean I should not play them for that reason? Am I weird because I'm a female playing as a male character? No... It's just for fun. Same can be said for males playing as females. There's nothing wrong with that and I actually admire males who are open and willing to respectfully embrace feminity. To me cross gender rping is just another way of showing how versatile a person can be.

Since ancient times even males have played the role of females and vice versa in acting. In ancient Rome males would play female roles in plays and in Japanese Noh & Kabuki theater gender reversed acting is quite common and no one looks strangely upon it in those cultures. It's just a reality that some individuals in this community need to learn to accept... You never truely know who is behind the computer screen playing these characters. Most of us are roleplayers in this community and therefore we all wear a variety of masks... No one character ever truly & completely represents its owner.

In my case Lord Suragaha is a character that is a combination of not only my personality but also characteristics of my beloved. You can say it's my way of carrying around a piece of him wherever I go.

thoughtless

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 09:25:39 pm »
-feels left out because can't really rant about anything- Meh...

-Really wants to rant, but... Doesn't know how to put it into sentences and to make it... understandable enough-

Pretty much, you all said what I am thinking. :\ If that makes sense to you.
Aha...

Offline Feareh

• The Jaguar Artist
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 195
  • Where is the Walrus Species?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:43 pm »
-feels left out because can't really rant about anything- Meh...

-Really wants to rant, but... Doesn't know how to put it into sentences and to make it... understandable enough-

Pretty much, you all said what I am thinking. :\ If that makes sense to you.
Aha...
Um, I'm not so sure where your going at here.....not really any relevance to the topic I had.
Just try to stay on topic please.
I Stalk from time to time...I have moved on to other things but do miss this place. Good times
Add me on discord:
Bakujio 🐺#7358