Author Topic: Guild Wars 2  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Shahiid

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART: LadyFromEast
Guild Wars 2
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:29:58 am »
I was actually wondering for some time if FH players also play this game.

Guild wars 2 is an online MMORPG game which storyline focuses on fighting the evil dragons, who had casted corruption onto the beautiful world of Tyria. You can follow your storyline, play in various dungeons depending on your level, and complete the whole world map. It is not required to have it completed in order to finish your storyline, however the game itself is so amazingly done it would be a shame not to. It offers various types of armour and weapons, which you can also craft yourself. Crafting in this game is relatively easy and very useful, since it helps you level up. You gain experience out of crafting, exploring the workd, doing your storyline, aiding the npc's. Basically, everything. The level cap i 80, but don't think you'll grow bored once you reach it; the real fun starts just then. There is also a PvP and WvWvW option (where servers fight with one another).

There are following playable races: Asura, Charr, Human, Norn, and Sylvari.

Each of the races can be played as following proffessions: Guardian, Warrior, Engineer, Ranger, Thief, Elementalist, Mesmer, and Necromancer.

Do you play GW2? Which server do you play on? Do you like it? Do you not? Why?
Username in FH: LadyFromEast

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:52 am »
Personally I think the game has it's ups and downs. For an MMORPG, I think it is a pretty good game.
[I mean hey, no fees past purchasing the game. that's pretty awesome.] I play on the Fort Aspenwood server and I don't really like it but that's where my friends are. [just the community kind of bugs me.]

I think the game could use less temporary content, honestly...
And the "Personal Story" really bugs me, Your character is always a total idiot [popular RPG trend]
And 'Trollhearne' really bugs me.

There is also a major lack in skills, which is pretty sad, and the 'weapon skills' makes players pretty generic.
Also the 5 member party limit is sad. [and before the game came out they said we would have 8 T_T]

Then there is the dungeons; Basically I wish I could bring less people [or none] for this. I prefer doing these sorts of things with friends and I can't say I have them coming out of my ears.

But it's a pretty decent game overall. just needs some expanding. [which won't happen with the temporary content.]

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »
I really like Guild Wars, I play it religiously. Now, with you, Vacio, I take into the pros and cons to the game as well.
Not having to pay a subscription fee every month?! For a brand-name MMORPG?! Who would pass that up?! ?
I think the races are neat, each one plays really cool as well as the cool classes they can be.

Now, the only things I have about it is, as you said, are the personal story, the limit of characters you can have, and the server. I mean, at first, I found the personal story to be pretty cool, but then, I thought it to have its limitations. To where I was born, what my motivations were, and how I presented myself. As a role-player, I like to make up my story in the personal way, how I behaved, where I grew up, and so forth. I don't always want to be driven by dignity and lose sister to horse-people.

The limit of characters is so off. I truly wish we could have more. I mean, other games have to where you make 20+ characters and be merry, so why not Guild Wars 2? And the home server bothers me. I like to explore other servers, especially ones I may be interested in later and play some new characters there. Instead, I cannot do that so easily. I'm on the EU server, so you can imagine me trying to go to the American server for a lurking. Nope, not going to happen unless I pay. (I don't know exactly how, but I believe I need some sort of blue thing to do that.)

Now, the combat is great, unlike any MMORPG I've played. The environments are beautiful, the music fits everywhere you go, and just the extra little things that make it fun. It's a really good game, just need those extra patches and added material to make it even better.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »
I really like Guild Wars, I play it religiously. Now, with you, Vacio, I take into the pros and cons to the game as well.
Not having to pay a subscription fee every month?! For a brand-name MMORPG?! Who would pass that up?! ?
I think the races are neat, each one plays really cool as well as the cool classes they can be.

Now, the only things I have about it is, as you said, are the personal story, the limit of characters you can have, and the server. I mean, at first, I found the personal story to be pretty cool, but then, I thought it to have its limitations. To where I was born, what my motivations were, and how I presented myself. As a role-player, I like to make up my story in the personal way, how I behaved, where I grew up, and so forth. I don't always want to be driven by dignity and lose sister to horse-people.

The limit of characters is so off. I truly wish we could have more. I mean, other games have to where you make 20+ characters and be merry, so why not Guild Wars 2? And the home server bothers me. I like to explore other servers, especially ones I may be interested in later and play some new characters there. Instead, I cannot do that so easily. I'm on the EU server, so you can imagine me trying to go to the American server for a lurking. Nope, not going to happen unless I pay. (I don't know exactly how, but I believe I need some sort of blue thing to do that.)

Now, the combat is great, unlike any MMORPG I've played. The environments are beautiful, the music fits everywhere you go, and just the extra little things that make it fun. It's a really good game, just need those extra patches and added material to make it even better.

I agree with you.
Although on the subject of how many characters you can have (standard is five) You can buy more character slots from the gem store, which is what those 'weird blue things' are, gems, you can buy those from in-game gold or your real money by using paypal, or you can find cards in some stores.
and server transfer depends on the population as to how much gems it will cost, but it usually seems to take 1000+.

And although it would be nice to have more characters for free, ArenaNet probably needs more ways to make money. Same with the server transfer.

I used to be in the server 'Gunnars Hold' EU, but I transfered to Fort Aspenwood, I was originally going to go to Tarnished Coast but that was full at the time. But that was back when server transfer was free.

:3

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:41 pm »
Ah! Alright, alright, so spend blue gems to transfer? Eh, that don't seem too difficult, may take a while, but, hey, it's worth it. And yeah, I can see that ArenaNet needs to make money, of course as an alternative to having a game to pay every month, so it would be a pretty wise move to charge us for other extras like more characters and such. Also, at the time I bought the game, Tarnished Coast and Piken Square were my choices to play since they were the unofficial "RP" servers. But, of course, the Coast was full, so I went to the Square. Thus far, it's alright, least until I get much further, perhaps I'll find some action. If not, I'll just try my luck at the Tarnished Coast when I have the gems and such. :I
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:29:36 am »
Even if you can't, You can guest over there, if the RP is what you're there for, the only thing you cannot do with guesting is; WvWvW for another server, and Guest onto servers in America or Europe, depending on where you're at. As I've said, I live on the Fort Aspenwood server, but whenever I want to go RP I just guest to Tarnished Coast. Although the other thing is, If you're in a guild from another server you don't get the bonuses from them. [Atleast last I checked.]

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 03:08:40 am »
Yes, I play this game. <3

I actually got this game for free. How? My best friend has an uncle who works for AreaNet. He's a very generous person, he payed the game's staff fee (10$) and gave the account code to me when I asked. Thanks to him, I can contact my friend again because she was banned on Gaia Online.

I play on Darkhaven because it's where my friend plays. I play as a female Charr who has a big chin on accident. X'D I really love the game, the artwork, the graphics, the design, the no monthly fee, and many more things. The things I don't like is the way it eats up your driver space. I need a lot of driver space for a reason. What also gets of my nerves on how It takes a long time to level up ever since you start the game. I originally played WoW so I wasn't used to this for a while.

Anyways, I really love the game! It's WAY better than WoW in many ways.

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 09:28:45 pm »
I do agree it's really better than WoW in game-play and community. The quests are non-linear and engaging with other players. Backtracking is something I'm 50/50 on, simply because, it does have you go back to the quest giver, kinda adding that realistic tone to it and exploration. And on the other hand, it doesn't have you go all the way across the map to complete the quest and then, rise and repeat. I think the best thing about Guild Wars 2 is the combat mechanics, the quests, environment, and soundtrack. As far as the game lore, I cannot entirely give my opinion on it since I've been introduced into the game since last month or so. It seems alright to me thus far, the races are cool, and the classes are fun to play. As much as that, that's all I got unless there's something to be added. ~
Image © Mikita Kavalenka