Author Topic: Odd Tags  (Read 5578 times)

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Tags
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:30:54 pm »
Tags such as M, F, Teen or any other things that could easily be put into a bio bother me a little. I Can understand species tags if your character is often mistaken for another species. Like if you were a red maned wolf and people kept calling you a fox.

But anyway mildly back on topic I've seen a tag that read: M y P n. After a good ten minutes of staring at this tag and being confused I whispered the "owner" of the tag. From what they told me that managed to stick in my sleepy brain the tag means "Mate yes, Pups no" or something to that effect

Offline itsukoii

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • "I'll show you a sight you've never seen before."
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:44:18 am »
Well, I can't say I disagree with this. I've seen odd ones, too, and I even had a character whom was named "PEM M Corgi". Yes, this is odd. It stood for "Prince Ein McNolegs" or, what PEM stood for, I knew it didn't fit, and the characters name was much too long. I decided to shorten it to that, but afte a while, I just made it... Corgi. It was bothering me a bit.

Now, for others, yes I have seen some confusing tags. But as some above me said, it could be for roleplay purposes. Who knows!

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 04:53:04 am »
I find it really wierd when people put "F Lioness" or, "M Stallion" Because... if you are a stallion, we KNOW you are male... stallion means MALE horse. You don't need the M. Same with Lioness... a lioness is a female lion, you don't need the "F"... it's kinda stupid to put "F Lioness"... Lol.
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline Kenji89

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »
I think the only feasibly excusable time for these tags is if it's a species that's out of the ordinary and you would not be able to tell what it is any other way. Yes, I know there is the bio and that is suggested to be used as well, but not many people go through and read every single bio of every single player that is around them because this can be taxing at times on larger maps, bigger meetings, etc.  So yeah, if someone's like a horse, dinosaur, shark, whale, mouse, dragon, etc sometimes I think it may be necessary just for that fact. Just because no matter how convincing one tries to make these things look on FH, in the end it all still kind of looks like nothing but winged or oddly colored lions/wolves...

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:54 pm »
I don't mind tags. Only a few I've seen really bother me.

I once say someone with the tag: M GayEmo. I was just like "Wait, what?"
I also have recently been seeing people with the tags "M Indian" or "F Indian" running around. That's struck me as pretty racist, or at least disrespectful. Why can't you just put human in your tag instead?
Or If you put it there because you are roleplaying a historical Indian, you could at least do some reasarch and find an actual tribe for your character to be from. Not all native Americans are the same, kids, all the tribes have vastly different cultures.

I don't think that was racist or disrespectful. It's not like they put "M WhiteIndian" or something like that. Not trying to put your opinion down, but I'm just saying think a bit before you define something like this as "racist".
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:11:17 pm by DevilBurgers »

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »
Actually thinking on it the tag "teen" bothers me more than anything. People put this in because they want to make their character seem young and vibrant, however any wolf, lion or just about any other commonly role played species the teen years or lets say about 13 and up is extremely old. In horses it's middle aged. So what I'm trying to get at is that a proper version of this tag would be some short form of adolescent, not teen.

Off topic mini rant over

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:41 pm »
Most of the time, I don't mind certain tags at all for sometimes such tags are used to specify a general roleplay (take TEC for example), and it could be one's preferable preference. Nothing more, nothing less. No harm done.

Though, I must admit some have me sit there and just ponder for a while. Like stated before me, the 'M Stallion' and 'F Mare', or 'F Doe' and 'M Buck' via the deer species, 'M Lion' and 'F Lioness' via the lion species, etc. Though, one tag I saw confused me the most. I was in Bonfire on Vaughn when I happened to be glomped by someone with the tag 'F Prince' (forgot their name for it was months ago when it happened). Accidentally, I addressed them as a male due to the 'Prince' in their tag though they corrected me saying they were a female. I merely went along with it in the end to not cause an argument though it confused me greatly for a female is usually a princess in royal families, not a prince.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:45:07 pm by Vespian »
gone

Offline WolvenEdge

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »
I respectfully disagree about some gender tags. -perks ears- The use of gender tags at least is completely acceptable to me, for the main reason that wolves and great cats, not to mention many other species with a good nose, can tell quite a bit about another creature by scent, gender included. So, if you can tell the gender at a glance, it is sort of realistic. I've also seen that it can be considered rude to be going through random bios without asking, but then some consider it rude NOT to go through the bio. -droops left ear, right ear stays perked- Go figure. I do agree that the 'M Stallion' tags or similar are redundant and a bit laughable though.

As for the laziness idea. -perks both ears- Often I see both the gender tag and the gender note in the bio, so they are doing more work, not less, for the sake of convenience.

Ending sort-of off topic part. The strangest tag I can remember seeing was F CAR, for a floof who was just having fun running random people over in Bonfire with the car item equipped. -tilts head- Not my kind of fun... but everyone seemed to be having a good time.
"If my claws and teeth cannot keep my fur together, then maybe I don't deserve to have it."
--Trufflehunter the Badger, Prince Caspian, C.S. Lewis

"Why is it that reality constantly ignores my imagination? It can't possibly like itself the way it is."
--Namah, Prelude webcomic (Dreamkeepers), Dave & Liz Lillie

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 02:18:08 am »
I don't mind tags. Only a few I've seen really bother me.

I once say someone with the tag: M GayEmo. I was just like "Wait, what?"
I also have recently been seeing people with the tags "M Indian" or "F Indian" running around. That's struck me as pretty racist, or at least disrespectful. Why can't you just put human in your tag instead?
Or If you put it there because you are roleplaying a historical Indian, you could at least do some reasarch and find an actual tribe for your character to be from. Not all native Americans are the same, kids, all the tribes have vastly different cultures.

I don't think that was racist or disrespectful. It's not like they put "M WhiteIndian" or something like that. Not trying to put your opinion down, but I'm just saying think a bit before you define something like this as "racist".

It's the fact they are simplifying all Indian cultures into one that gets to me. They are roleplaying out a stereotype. That's what's racist about it.

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 04:01:37 am »
Well, not everyone knows every Indian culture. It is not racist in any way, they are just roleplaying. It's not like they were saying rude things about Indians. Plus, maybe they weren't RPing a specific Indian group. Just.... indians. Random indians. It's not racist, it's just Rp.

That's like saying tags like "Cat" are racist, since there are more than one species of cat. .-. It isn't racist.
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD