Author Topic: The Most Unrealistic Characters  (Read 9625 times)

Offline .:L:.

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • I will track you down, Kira.. I know who you are.
    • View Profile
Re: The Most Unrealistic Characters
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56:31 am »
Hold on, wait.. no, I just looked it up, 'laughing hyena' is another term for 'spotted hyena'. They are the same animal, sorry. But they do make barking noises that sound like laughing.

Also, sorry for the double post, the edit button isn't working well for me at the moment.
Kira, you shall not prevail. I /will/ track you down... and when I do, you will be eliminated.. for good.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47:35 am »
That hyena looks brown to me...

But I'm not talking about brown-grey ones, I'm talking about the ones that are grey wolf grey. I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 10:31:46 am »
Meh, maybe it was a TLK hyena though. People can make gray hyenas, no? I see some gray hyenas in them pictures, even if they are gray-brown.. how do you make a gray-brown hyena like that without a preset or two markings which we need Kov to make an update for? lol.

Anyway... I've seen MANY TLK lions with unrealistic pelts and manes and stuff. Plus a snow leopard or something with a gray mane who was advertising for a realistic roleplay... o3o *shrug* at least he looked realistic besides the mane.

And a neon-ish red colt with white spots. The neon red obviously ruined it, lol. Ahh, Bonfire these days.

Offline BatEaredFox

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »
Hmm, the weirdest I've ever seen was probably a cub with a full-blown mane.
I've also seen a wolf with the patterns and colors of a Thompson's gazelle, and it looked really cool! They had the tan back, white belly, and even the little black stripe along the side. My character is strange too. She looks similar to a hyena, but she's sorta more like her own species. (She should be in my profile pic, but I think I messed it up x3)
~ Da name's Pepper.

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:29 pm »
This is the kind of "hyena" I'm talking about:

This is an example of a more realistically colored hyena made on the character creator:

I feel we get grey hyenas partly cause TLK (I really don't care if TLK hyenas are grey cause they look grey in the movie. Just as I don't care if TLK lions have bright red manes.)
But I feel we mainly have grey hyenas for the same reason we have cheeto cheetahs. People see cheetahs have an orange-ish color, so they exaggerate that and make them bright orange. People see hyenas are grey-ish, so they exaggerate that and we end up with "wolfiyenas" as I often call them.

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 05:06:29 pm »
On the 'wolfyenas' note, most wolves aren't actually straight grey either. If you look at an (unedited) photo of even the more greyish ones, they've all got at least traces of tawney or brown. Especially pups, which are almost all brown (barring black ones and such).

That only really matters if you're trying to specifically make a super realistic one, though, since any given illustration of a wolf in movies or books will probably be grey and we recognize that as wolfish, even if it is just a really commonly occuring stylization of the actual animal.

Offline Nymphadora

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • J?s? s???? - ????'?? ?? ????.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 05:51:36 pm »
I can understand where you're all coming from with the grey hyenas/wolfyenas, but I honestly haven't seen any for a while o.o ~ Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or not at all xD I can't say they bother me all too much anyhow.

Saw an unrealistic warrior cat yesterday... Solid black pelt, white toeless socks and a full blown side mane. It was... It didn't even look like a fluffy cat x.x I'm sure it had normal ears too. It wouldn't be the first time though xD ~ I've also come across a warrior cat looking thing to claim itself to be a lion. Even its name was warrior cats based. xD

~Nym
W???, I s????s? I ???? ????? ??? ???? ???s, ????? ?s ?x????? ??? I ???? ?????:

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »
On the 'wolfyenas' note, most wolves aren't actually straight grey either. If you look at an (unedited) photo of even the more greyish ones, they've all got at least traces of tawney or brown. Especially pups, which are almost all brown (barring black ones and such).

That only really matters if you're trying to specifically make a super realistic one, though, since any given illustration of a wolf in movies or books will probably be grey and we recognize that as wolfish, even if it is just a really commonly occuring stylization of the actual animal.

This is very true as well.

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »
For the TLK hyena fans, here is a great tutorial on how to be realistic.

-Link-

That should sort out any confusion for realistic hyenas...
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Narifia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • "Watashi wa nagareboshi no senshi gozen--Vega!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:00 am »
Oh boy, been a while since I stalked these forums, and even longer since I've felt like posting.

I understand where some of you are coming from. Some character designs can look absolutely horrid and gaudy with those bright neon colors, those purple manes or those bright yellow pelts. I get it, I really do. When character designs are poorly done, they look bad. However, using unrealistic colors (such as "grey" hyenas versus "brown" ones, or having a pink pony versus a realistically colored one, etc.) doesn't necessarily equal bad design.

When you ask the question, "does this character look realistic?" you must also ask, "was this character meant to be realistic?" Not everyone wants to play characters with realistic designs. If it's not your cup of tea to see an orange tiger with green stripes, then kindly turn the other way and ignore it. Now, it's one thing when a person claims to be playing a realistic character when it isn't realistically designed--but even then, one can play a character with an unrealistic design and still roleplay realistically if said design has an explanation (the animal was in an experiment, it's a new species, it's a different world where these colors are normal, some five year old got a hold of the permanent spray paint and poor Lassie now has a bright green pelt, etc!). Bottom line: people can, and will, be as creative as they want. While it's fine and noble to coach newbies on the dos and don'ts of character design, also keep in mind that not everyone has to adhere strictly to realistic design rules. If that were the case, the art of character design would get pretty dull pretty fast.

And... *Sigh* The very reason I even bothered to come on and make a post:

Female lions with manes. Where do I begin?

First of all, you can't call this unrealistic when it very plainly is: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/10/09/weird-wild-rare-maned-lionesses-explained/

Second of all, ever heard of chimerism? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMQcy5ReQQ Enjoy learning a few things.

After taking a look at the above article and video, take another look at your lists of "unrealistic" characters and think a bit. That lioness with a mane might not look so dumb after all--she could be an asset to her pride. The same goes for any character with an uncommon mix of masculine and feminine traits--not only is this realistically possible, but it could potentially make roleplay all the more interesting. And even if it's not about the roleplaying, but about character design in general, the fact of the matter is that not every character made has to be a 100% cookie cutter representation of what is "normal," "realistic," or "socially acceptable." It isn't even like that in real life, so how can anyone call it "realistic" in character design? That's perfectionism, which is the opposite of realism.

I'm sorry, I get sick of strictly enforced male/female gender binaries. It's not only UNREALISTIC to expect males and females to be perfect cookie cutter representations of what we expect to be "male" or "female," its short-sighted and restrictive. This is a particular pet peeve of mine. "Gender" isn't even physical, it's a social construct. Any college Intro to Anthropology class will teach this (personally, I've encountered several college classes across anthropology and English/literary studies that emphasize teaching this). Our idea of "male" and "female" is based on what we believe to be socially correct--as for physiological differences, males and females might have a few different parts and functions, but overall there isn't much different about us even physically. And, as the video above explained, we may be even more varied physiologically than we even know.

Want characters to be more realistic? Then stop trying to set standards of perfection, because that just isn't how it works. As for unrealistic colors and markings, understand that not everyone wants to design 100% realistic characters. Enough said.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:21:13 am by Narifia »

"Night & Day
Sou sakende kizutsuite mo
Just Day By Day Ashita o mitsukeru!"
Do As Infinity-'Tooku Made'