Author Topic: Attack of the Short-Posts?  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: Attack of the Short-Posts?
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 12:26:30 am »
I use short posts when I have nothing else to really go on, nothing is happening and I need some one to react or me react to them.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:55 am »
I really don't mind seeing short posts in a roleplay that is supposed to be "literate". I have seen people put the -s- at the end of their "short" post, even when the post was 3-4 sentences long. That post wasn't short! Not to me it wasn't. But I guess as far as they're concerned, a post that is less than 4 sentences or lines long is considered short.

When I roleplay, I try not be so long-winded with the posts I make. If I can't think of a nice "long" roleplay post to say, I'm not going to bother trying to make it look long and complicated. Me and my roleplay friends don't judge each other about it. I honestly don't mind if they make short posts because we do it all the time.

What I don't like is when people make a big deal out of it. "OMG that was so short!" or "That was too short. Make your posts longer," or "You're illiterate because your posts are short!" I especially don't like it when people get labeled as illiterate because their post is like 2-3 sentences long. They get called illiterate even if they used proper punctuations, grammar, spelling, etc. Get over yourselves! It's not considered illiterate if you're using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuations!" It also doesn't give you the right to bully someone for making their post short and simple.

Arr, this was a lot of what I was getting at.

While the "the wolf sits down" RP posts aren't the most detailed things, and I agree that I would personally prefer more detail, there is of course the issue of experience to be acknowledged, there.

But what I'm getting at is when someone makes a 3-4 sentence post, and still considers it "obnoxiously short." If you have a lot to say, then by all means, it's wonderful to see the detail and story you can tell.
But there's no need to be heckled for it, if you aren't feeling up to a 10-paragraph post every now and then.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

SoulRevenge

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 02:30:14 am »
Without reading any of the comments above because I'm too lazy and watching a movie at the moment, I'm going to go right-ahead-on and type what I think about this.

In my opinion, 'short' posts are ridiculous.
  Need it be really neccesary to type even more than five 'FeralHeart' posts? As long as the content of the past doesn't ramble on to ridiculous lengths, I also see it as entirely suitable. In books, an author does not speak of how one thing happened. They do not go on and on about how someone ate a burger or a rabbit or something for three whole pages, thus it is not necessary to do so in roleplay. Now I understand that more experienced roleplayers might have longer-styled posts, considering it merely fits with their apparently 'hailed writing style', which gets praise merely because that's their style; and if it takes longer to describe something for them? Well I find that to be entirely okay. Just, if you really know you don't have much to say, because damnit; what's more to type other than thoughts, senses, or your own perspective on this? We likely needn't know what every part of your character's body is doing at the time of an action, anyway.

As long as one can understand what's going on in their post, I really think people should realise there's nothing to apologise for. We can understand your post? Okay. That's what best-selling authors like Stephen King, J.K Rowling, and others do. Thoughts, emotions, actions, and senses are described; these are all not necessary to have a good, understandable post; just one suffices quite brilliantly in a reply or starter- because that makes it understandable.

Point is, people shouldn't beat themselves up because it's short. You ever read a shorter story? Fanfiction, actual book, project for school, your own writing or a friend's? Short doesn't mean bad in all circumstances.

And just to make this funny, let's take Levi Rivaille for example.
 He's only five feet tall.
  He can kill titans just fine. . . or this case cones.

Martin Freeman? Short, but he's good enough to be in a noodle commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=viObxgZC1x8

But big is good too, of course. Take Sam Winchester (played by Jared Padalecki) for example.
 He's 6'4 but weoooo, look at this ball of sunshine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:49:41 am by Calliph »

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:32 am »
I always wondered why my friends would get upset when they posted short posts. I'm just like, "Woah, chill out o-o". It's not like we're all english teachers that are going to scold you if you aren't descriptive or whatever. I hate it when I Rp and make like a 4 sentence post, and everyone else is like "Be more literate!". I'm being as literate as I can! Just not as literate as you are.

On the other hand, you could TECHNICALLY be in a roleplay where you only typed like 4 words per post, but I'm pretty sure most of us don't do that.
*Sleeps*
*Watches loner*
*Perks ears and wakes up*
*Runs*
(I totally would though, just for the heck of it.)
So I kind of understand what everyone is talking about...long comments @_@".

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:00:48 am »
I am perfectly fine with short posts as to length (Write them all the time... haha)
However I feel it is needless to add "-s-" at the end. I mean if it's a roleplay where just about everything is a really long post I kind of get it if you say "Sorry, short" or as an explanation that you just are not up to long posts today.

When someone writes a shorter post, although nothing is wrong with the post it just isn't over the top. kind of.. "say it like it is" kind of post I really feel there is no need to add "-s-" because everyone reading it can read it and tell how short or long it is. not that adding "-s-" is a bad thing, But it gets on my nerves. I'll still play with people who do it, but I'm not really sure why they feel so compelled to write that out for me.

As long as you can clearly understand the other users post, I'd say that's alright, as long as their post has enough so you can continue the roleplay, it's all right. some people also have a comfort zone, start small, go big.

But really, if your post is short, I can tell, you really don't have to spell it out for me.  :P

Offline kaya

• Bite me and I'll kick yew arse C: ~ Rak$ha
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »
Well since I don't really RP anymore, I can't say I've got a wide opinion on it... I myself surely prefer longer posts, but I understand if at that moment people just have no muse. I don't see the need to apologise, I doubt that a reasonable person would start attacking you for giving them a short post.

All in all, it's fine with me. I agree, don't be weighted by the idea of someone taking you as an illiterate person just because you're making short posts. If those are detailed posts, I don't see why anyone should mind. :3