Author Topic: Going AFK  (Read 3547 times)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Going AFK
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:18:28 am »
 So, I was thinking about how some users go afk (away from keyboard) for really long times. Do you guys do this? Why do you bother to open up feral heart if you know you won't be there for awhile? And for those who don't, does it bother you when people do this?

I have my own response, but I'd like to see what you guys say first
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:50:36 am by MochaCocoa »

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
Re: Going AFK
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:40:31 am »
I think it all depends on what's going on, how long you're staying AKF, etc.

For example, sometimes when I'm hanging around in a map, and things are slow, I will sometimes open up my email or another window to work on other things. Of course, I'll check in with my FH window periodically (usually every 30 seconds to 3-5 minutes) for any whispers or people derping, but otherwise I will be effectively "afk."
Even though I'm not, just. My attention can be compromised at times if I have a lot on my hands outside the game, but I like to be online if I'm needed. o:

Or, sometimes I'll hop away from my keyboard for a few minutes if I need to take the dogs outside, talk to someone, grab some food, little things like this. Generally if I'm going away for 10-15+ minutes, though, I'll simply log out.

However, people that will hang around for hours, or even a day or more at a time without moving, well. That's asking to be trolled, and no, there probably isn't much point to it. The only exception I can think of are these "reference characters," which I see in Bonfire sometimes. I've seen individuals make the best TLK or movie-canon characters with accurate colors, put their color codes in their bio, and they'll be there for other RPers to reference their own characters from.
But, this isn't much fun as far as the game goes.

I suppose it's what you make of it, but I agree that it can sometimes be a little sad when you go to talk to someone, and they're.. Well. Anywhere else. xD
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:49:59 am »

However, people that will hang around for hours, or even a day or more at a time without moving, well. That's asking to be trolled, and no, there probably isn't much point to it. The only exception I can think of are these "reference characters," which I see in Bonfire sometimes. I've seen individuals make the best TLK or movie-canon characters with accurate colors, put their color codes in their bio, and they'll be there for other RPers to reference their own characters from.
But, this isn't much fun as far as the game goes.

I suppose it's what you make of it, but I agree that it can sometimes be a little sad when you go to talk to someone, and they're.. Well. Anywhere else. xD

You do have a point. I have a habit of opening FH, doing something else, then forgetting FH is open (I have it pinned to my task bar)...I accidentally left if open all night yesterday, and I feel kinda bad because a got so many whispers >.>.
I haven't heard of these reference characters through- the idea sounds pretty neat though!

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:08 am »
You do have a point. I have a habit of opening FH, doing something else, then forgetting FH is open (I have it pinned to my task bar)...I accidentally left if open all night yesterday, and I feel kinda bad because a got so many whispers >.>.
I haven't heard of these reference characters through- the idea sounds pretty neat though!

Ahh, that's true, too. xD I can't say I've ever left mine open all night before, but in hindsight that is pretty funny. It happens to everybody at some point. (Or, have you ever fallen asleep with your FH window open?)

And arr, the ref characters are around sometimes. Bonfire in particular near the cave. Keep your eyes peeled for them, they're usually really well-made characters. Although they have a tendency to get bombarded by cub RPers, which is kinda funny-cute.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:19 am »
When I tell people I'm AFK, go on the internet for a bit, and forget that I had FH still open for 20 minutes at a time o-o. My friends think it's funny though 'cause I do it all the time XD.

soo...It doesn't really bother me, since I go AFK for long periods too (accidentally lol)

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...

Offline unnbrellas

• View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:54 am »
When I tell people I'm AFK, go on the internet for a bit, and forget that I had FH still open for 20 minutes at a time o-o. My friends think it's funny though 'cause I do it all the time XD.

soo...It doesn't really bother me, since I go AFK for long periods too (accidentally lol)

-highfives- Me too!

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:39 am »
The longest Hugrf has gone AFK on purpose: Somewhat... 2-1 hours?

The longest Hugrf has gone AFK on accident: All frickin' night when I was very new.

The only reason I would try to be on for long periods of time is so I can stay in party chat and scroll up for a better recap someone doesn't have to type out, though, since I'm so obsessed with my current roleplay in game and I hate having to miss some epic drama that I have to. And hopefully I wouldn't crash... dear God, I hate it when that happens.

But, other than that, without my roleplay I'd most likely just log out to go some where instead of being AFK for so long if I'm going some where. It's a bit pointless since you don't have much of a good reason if you ask me to do that, unless you do, then... eh. So, 'der you go, meh opinion. C:

Offline BlackLuna06

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:40 am »
My reasons for going afk are usually:

- Unexpected ones (eg, someone asks me to do something irl for an indefinite amount of time)

- Homework (I open up FH, then gradually guilt myself into doing actual work, but can't bring myself to close FH)

- I've been a thoughtless noob and opened something else only to forget about FH for a rudely long time

- Food :3

But generally, the most time I'm away is 15-20 minutes. Sometimes I 'play dead' though, if at a place where I don't know anyone. c:

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:08:40 am »
Rarely will I saunter off on AFK when I have FH opened up. However when I do, it's normally when hardly anythin' is goin' on via no drama, no trollin', everyone's content and calm within the map I'm residin' in at the time, etc. Durin' this time, I open up either Skype or the FH forums and keep in touch with that's goin' on in those two locations while checkin' back to the game every 2-3 minutes in order to make sure Vesp's pixels isn't gettin' invaded or if I got a whisper from a user seekin' advice, aid, or just to chit-chat.
I have had my guilty moments although. There have been a few times last summer when I was first gettin' into the forums and into the flow of things that I've became so determined in keepin' track of everythin' around me that I would accidentally fall asleep slap on my keyboard with FH open and everythin'. I've later broken out of this uncanny habit as the month of August rolled around.
If I'm ever to literally get up and walk away from my keyboard, I usually log out entirely no matter how long I may be, or expect to be.
When it comes to other users who stay online for hours and hours, even a whole day or two, unmovin' and absent, it doesn't generally bother me unless a troll comes around to play a little prank on the user but hey, they've chose to do said action and are held responsible as to what may happen to them durin' their AFK state. I also like to keep in mind that if I am to address the member, they might be severely busy which is why they've taken it upon themselves to reside to AFK in order to handle a situation outside of the game itself but got online in order to say a few words to their acquaintances or close friends in order to not show neglect towards them. I may be thinkin' out loud here but t'is a possibility, aye? Heck, they might even be knocked out cold on the keyboard like I was a few times back then.
gone

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:53:33 pm »
I really don't think much of it. I will sometimes go afk to grab food, answer a phone call, tend to my kitties, or other things. If I need to be gone for more than 5 minutes, I have to log off... or else my computer will shut off on its own. Curse this old, overheating video card. >.< And I don't like being left vulnerable to trolls when afk, so that's another reason why I just log off.
Inactive