Author Topic: How Do You Write Your Bios?  (Read 7909 times)

Offline darkrose101

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
How Do You Write Your Bios?
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:14:43 am »
Hey guys! How do you write your bios? I have seen many interesting ones. Do you use a special way for all your characters? I would love to know!

wolfdog01

Re: How Do You Write Your Bios?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:28:25 am »
Well I usually always put the Sex, Age, BackStory, and Personality. Simple but sweet and highlight of the main points of each character.....wow this was a short reply XP but yeah, that's basically how I do it

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:14:13 am »
Pretty much just add all the basic information; physical appearance;
and personality traits. Maybe throw in some creative little symbols here and there. Nothing
special.

Offline opticker

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Otaku
    • View Profile
    • Nyan
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:59 am »
What i normally do is write a small novel about the character, usually about half a page, and include all the information i need to present in it. and if i missed anything i just put it into a side note. Remember to always give your character a personality, like dislikes and habits, perhaps if your wolf is a mutant you could say that he tends to swing his scorpion tail around when he is happy, or if the wolf has a robotic leg that it limps allot. simple things like that.

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:47:50 am »
It generally depends as to where the bio is bein' typed, whether it be in-game or here on the forums/some other website.

In-game, Vespian tends to start off the biography with my character's name (full name, preferably). Then underneath that, Vespian will put that particular character's chosen subtitle (e.g, for Vespian, it's The Mad-eyed Devil). The subtitle serves for role-play purposes mainly and to differentiate my characters from others who are addressed by the same callin'.
Underneath that, I will lay out the basic details that I deem important to know (e.g, gender, age, species, if they're betrothed to anyone, relatives that are alive, any possible descendants, etc.) then, following suit will be any acquaintances that character has made throughout the time I've spent role-playin' with them.
With some characters, such as Yusei, Vespian will add any physical disabilities the character may be endurin' but normally such details will only be laid out in the biography if it's somethin' more severe than just an inflicted wound. Some examples would be if the character suffers with anemia, has occasional spurts of amnesia, if they have a weak constitution or eating disorder, etc.
Then comes the fun part of addin' a selective few "Fun Facts" as I would like to call 'em regardin' anythin' I deem necessary for the reader to know. These tidbits are normally one sentence per fact and they are very short and to the point of what I'd like to get across. The content they carry usually range from how the character may act, somethin' they like/dislike, any phobias they may have, their favorite hobbies, etc.
Scroll down a bit and you'll come across links that will direct ye to the character's preset (since all of my characters have presets), the character's natural appearance drawn by a lovely artist (to which I will credit; this is for those characters whose appearance may differ a little than what the FeralHeart models provide), a link that will direct them to their full biography (since ye're only able to fit so much about a character in the in-game bios), and sometimes even a link that will direct them to their species' information (for characters who are of a species originally made by someone).
Lastly, I'll add the copyright sign and year as to when I crafted the character to indicate that the character and their biography are mine and mine alone (e.g, Vespian ((c)) Dishonored; 2013).
If I have room after typin' all of that in, I may go back and add a fittin' quote that the character may say to reflect who they are to onlookers (e.g, for Vespian, his biography quote is, "I am the beast that stares into Heaven with a thousand eyes.")

As for biographies written on the forums/any other website, well they tend to be the same only much, much more detailed and decorative. I like to add photos of my characters drawn by other artists here as well as a legitimate, detailed back story that I do not bother much to try to summarize and squeeze in on the in-game bios. I'll also add more basic information such as what their reputation may be, what organization they were a part of last, a theme song, etc.
Along with that, I'll add more fun facts and character ties that I may have been unable to fit within the in-game bio.
As stated, there's little of a difference between the in-game and forum/other website bios other than one is ten times more descriptive and actually provides a typed out back story containin' a character's origin and history while the other is more blunt and not as wordy for those who would only like to know the present details.
gone

DreamerDay

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:50:28 am »
-Comment remove-
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:08:22 pm by DelightfulRevenge »

Offline Hylocereus

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • ROR I'M A FELINE WALRUS
    • View Profile
    • Renascentia
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:15:35 pm »
 /whistles lowly. WELL. My forums bios are usually novels all on their own in size.

My ingame bios tend to be shorter - just a summary of basics, status, notable scars/injuries, items if any, size and weight, that kind of thing. I love reading other people's bios - I don't mind if they're of titanic proportions. The character limit is kind of short though so it amuses me seeing people try to pack masses of info into one small box.

Offline GhostPuma

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Crazy Fangirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:28:45 pm »
Kinda depends. If I really want to flesh out the character I will write the age, species, name, height, weight, personality, gender, sex, etc. But, I don't always do this. Sometimes I use the bio as an informative thing, linking certain things in it. Or I just give a quick summary in about 2-5 sentences.
Really, it depends on my mood.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »
In-game, I usually have something like this:

Name:  | Gender: | Age: | Species: | Friends/Family/Allies: | Enemies: | Personality: | History: | Injuries: | Preset:

Yeah, pretty simple and basic. But it's to the point and easy to understand, unlike some bios which have weird wolfspeakish terms and such or way too many unnecessary things. I'm not a fan of writing/reading bios which don't have everything simply laid out and are instead in a huge paragraph, but that's just me.

To make a bio on forums, look here.
http://www.feral-heart.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=2&jfile=index.php&topic=48609.0

I'm pretty sure they were asking how everybody each writes their in-game bios, not how to write a member bio on here ^^

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 04:45:29 pm »
I generally just opt for name, species, gender and presets/artwork before writing a few paragraphs of description about their appearance or personality. I leave history entirely out of the biography; I'd rather people found it out themselves through IC interaction. Similarly, family ties, love interests and such can be left to be discovered-- I always prefer to have some mystery about the character rather than having everything about them, from favourite colour to grandma, listed in their biography. Website profiles are definitely more suited for an information overload; if I'm there, I'm interested and want to know everything about them!

In short, I usually just keep it to anything your character would be able to see upon looking at mine-- I don't feel any other information's necessary for my own roleplay.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:52:54 pm by Crookfish~ »