Author Topic: Elderly Characters  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Kibacher

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • look into my eyes, what do you see?. Infinity
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Re: Elderly Characters
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 04:05:45 am »
personally I think its better to have naturally older characters for a realistic rp, one of my chars is an 8 year old Tabby and I love her too bits!. It gives you a lot more of a story-line advantage to be the experienced wise one of the clan/pack/pride/cult
This may be a virtual world but our feelings are real

DreamerDay

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:21 pm »
Having an older character isn't bad at all. It just a character your role playing as. However, yes, it may be boring I think it's okay to have a older character. Not only that, your character can have a pleasing rank or background. You can be a philosopher or leader...either one...

Anyway yeah.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »
Yo, I love varying my characters' ages. Allegra (my fursona) is 4, and I actually have a warrior cat who is 6. I once had an elderly wolf named Mordecai who was 11, as well.

Although, my warrior cat, Lightmare, has been called "elderly" for being 6 years old, when in reality, that's just barely scraping into being middle aged. Talking in human years, she might be more along the lines of 35 or so.
It annoys me a smidge, but I also remember that most people make these 1-2 year old characters because they want to create a new story with them. Get them a mate during their prime, raise kids, lead a pack/Clan, etc., without having to worry about someone questioning their "strength" or whatnot because they are still young. It boils down to experience in roleplay, essentially, since the ultimate goal in RP is the story, including the character with its strengths and weaknesses that make for an interesting tale alongside other characters. Everybody wants the big, tough hero type, but not everyone is like that, realistically. There's the wisened oldster, the timid youth, the foolish and inexperienced young leader, and any mix beyond these. It makes the world you're creating more believable.
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||

Rizzla

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »
I don't see a problem with roleplaying elderly characters, much like the rest of you.
I haven't had any really elderly character in a while (My oldest is in the 4-5 range. Unless humans count *cough*). This doesn't mean I dislike them; in fact I am more than willing to create an older character, the problem is that I wouldn't have anything to do with them afterwards and they would probably wind up getting deleted at some point.

I assume most people stay clear of the seniors because they want an OC that will be able fight well, be an eligible mate, and will still have the ability to gallop majestically through a field of daisies with the best of 'em.

But in order to "Roleplay out their lives", wouldn't you need to go through the elder stage, too? My theory is that roleplays don't last long enough for this to happen, or most characters are just killed off at a young age.

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »
I think people forget that the African Lions who have the beautiful faces and the fully grown manes are indeed older around Six or Seven years old. There is nothing wrong with my real life Shepherd mix who is around Eleven years old so why would any older character be wrong? You would understand if you too have an older animal but there is nothing wrong with it. It's very realistic to see these things and it's quite unrealistic to just see abunch of pre-teen (yes usually two years old is pre-teen) animals running around.

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline alexterri

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • We are One
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »
I don't really get why people don't like older characters so much tbh. I have a canine character who's 5

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 12:29:36 pm »
I see nothing wrong with having older characters uvu

However all of my characters are RPed from the moment of their birth and none are older than 4, but I plan to make them age normally (except for Heulog)