Author Topic: What Does a Username Tell You?  (Read 6063 times)

Offline xmapleleafx

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Does a Username Tell You?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »
No way, you should never judge people by their username. When making a username, the person may have been younger or oblivious to if it was a bad choice or not. Personally, if I could, I would do anything to change my username, (I made my account when I was OBSESSED with Warrior Cats xD) I'm sure a lot of other people would to.

Someone could have a username like poo929 and be the most literate person you could know. Never just assume if someone has 'luna' or 'pony' in their name they are 8 year old little girls.
Insert a fancy signature here.

Offline J0JI

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Your personal forum-lurker. || IGN: Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 12:10:31 pm »
No, it does not matter. Due to the fact that Feralheart rarely opens registration nowadays, people are often stuck with their old usernames; and let's be honest, we've all had cliche users such as that, but as we grew; we also abandoned those.. odd names.

I mean, I'm an exception of course. My IGN is Hungry; which means exactly that.

I'm always frickin' hungry.
The Arai loves you all.

Offline ritat

• Incarnated Angel
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 156
  • Will be inactive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 07:29:03 pm »
I am going to be honest here, but a username does not tell anything about someone. First of all, you don't even have any idea who the person is. You cannot judge a person by their username, because that would make you either have false or true opinions about them, meaning also bad or good reflections of them and we are not expected to have a bad start without even knowing the person. It's a 50/50 chance and not the right thing to do, ever. It's always better to be welcoming with everyone and respect who they are and what they have and if you don't like who the person is in the end, even if they have a literate username, you should always show respect.

That's the lines I usually go through, I'm not a tough heart really. I always like to be soft and proud to be sensitive and strong, or else I wouldn't have the personality I have now. <3

Offline Thornscars

• don't you cry
    • flower-magic
    • flower magic
    • blossomserpent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »
I don't judge usernames at all, half of the time I don't even really pay attention to them unless I see the person around a lot or something like that. God, I saw this person and I think that their username was "wolfgirl11" or something like that, but they were the most literate role player I had ever seen. It could've been their old account, or they could've just not cared about the username they had much. Who knows.

signature by cordisawire

Offline iiAwshumGurl

• Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Quit?
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt user
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 03:12:16 pm »
Most people judge other's ages by their usernames. For example my user name, ''iiAwshumGurl'' rather than ''iiAwesomeGirl''
some people will point out I spelt awesome wrong or girl wrong but AwshumGurl was a username I created years back when my spelling wasn't amazing, I must admit, I do like my username since it brings back memories. That''s why I've kept it to this very day despite the fact that I'm in my late teen years.
Drawn by me

I am best known for my OC, Eclipse ( as pictured above ) but also have for Venus ( as seen in my profile picture )

" We must let go of the life we have planned to accept the one awaiting us "

Offline 116.

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 09:14:00 pm »
I somewhat see where they are coming from. For the /most/ part, I do see many trolls, non-lits, and immature players with usernames as the ones you listed, but I don't think you should judge people by their users. For instance, I have another account called iloverocky78. That was  my first account. I used that user because Rocky was my childhood dog. He meant so much to me. He was there through everything.

I will be honest in saying that when I made the account I was unaware that it would show up and people would see it. I thought it was just my forum username. That could be the case for others as well.  Who knows? I don't believe judging a person my their username is a valid assumption. But that's what RPS are for.  c:

Offline hcj2000

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • I am what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »
You have a great point usernames really shouldn't determine about a person irl but like mine its my initials and the year I was born my parents made me do it I would have chosen a different one but hey its better than nothing. So yeah when you see really weird usernames it doesn't mean that they are immature it just means that they wanted to be creative with their username
We are all perfectly imperfect don't let anyone decide who you should be just be yourself if someone calls you a mistake thats ok cause none of us are perfect

Offline Zophrenia

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »
Once again, I echo what many others who have commented before me posted.
You can't judge a book by its cover. Never know the true nature of the person behind the screen until you talk to them yourself.
Even then it's still limited.

However, I do like to come up with stories as to why a person may have a specific user. Certainly could be interesting.
For example; Someone has the name "Fluffybuns12". I then think that maybe they named it after a well loved pet, the number may be random or specific time in their life that they enjoyed.
Or my user "Zophrenia" as another example. I made it after a character or a fursona that really connects to me, as well as fond memories of rping that character.

Sometimes I tend to judge people (Not harshly, Don't worry.) on peoples way of typing more so then the username as i tend to notice certain age groups use certain ways of speaking or mannerisms. But even then i'm careful as I've known older people to type poorly. vuv

Offline TheDarkCrow

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 06:09:59 pm »
I have to admit that I look up people's usernames pretty commonly. I have to admit that usernames matter to me a bit, since those with a lot of numbers and odd letters make me suspicious about players age. However I don't judge them too much by that because I've talked to a lot of great people with weird usernames! ^-^
"Anyone seen the big bad Bat yet? I warn you, he may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you, he really is an idiot!"
-Joker

Offline WhiteCrow

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • -The Divine Shadow-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 10:43:38 pm »
Usernames are fun to look at. But you can't really judge too harshly. There could be people who made an account a long time ago, and it might look silly. But memories and such are always attached to a username, which can be a reason why someone would still use something old.

I enjoy looking at usernames. But honestly, I love seeing character names. That's always interesting.