Author Topic: Info on how to possibly add new species  (Read 4469 times)

Offline RenegadeRaptor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • The Wiccan Wolf
    • http://reccewolf.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
I like to roleplay as Snowleopards, Clouded Leopards, Ocelots, and Panthers.

~Recce~

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
    • View Profile
Looking back at this project, I don't think I'll continue it. But if anyone wants to try doing it, go right ahead.

How was I going to attempt to add new species? Change the weight key deformers of the model. I haven't tested anything so I don't know if you can add more deformers or if you can only edit the already existing ones.

Also, I realised that you will be limited to the anatomy of the skeleton, so species like horses aren't possible unless you don't mind it looking deformed. Maybe you can edit the animation of one of the actions to be an idle pose for the poor deformed creature (particularly stretching and squishing some bones of the skeleton so it will not be deformed for that action only). Whatever you want to do.

Have fun.

Edit:

Oooorrrr... I just got news of something. Not 100% sure if this is absolutely possible, but apparently body parts separate from the body model can have their own skeleton?

Fyi, that's a whole new ballgame for adding species. You could possibly make a whole new species model and skeleton (as long as the new skeleton has the same amount of bones, same bone names, and all of the animations that the original skeleton has). Just change the name of the exported model and skeleton to a mane or whatever else you guys are willing to sacrifice and try it out.

With this, you'll be required to do rigging, animating, UVs, textures, and masks. Not sure how you would be able to do markings though. Probably doing a preset would be the best option. You might actually need a preset anyway to hide the original model.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:58:16 pm by Alphabet »

Offline Mythicalwolf02

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • Mythicalwolf02
    • Mythical Wolf
    • View Profile
How about dragons? (sounds a bit hard to do) horse and foxes
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI
                              ~Myth~

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
I'd love to see some rabbit models! ovo Dragons and gryphons are a close second on my list. <3

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: Info on how to possibly add new species
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 07:43:28 pm »
Before you respond to my original post, please read my new comment about the project.

Looking back at this project, I don't think I'll continue it. But if anyone wants to try doing it, go right ahead.

How was I going to attempt to add new species? Change the weight key deformers of the model. I haven't tested anything so I don't know if you can add more deformers or if you can only edit the already existing ones.

Also, I realised that you will be limited to the anatomy of the skeleton, so species like horses aren't possible unless you don't mind it looking deformed. Maybe you can edit the animation of one of the actions to be an idle pose for the poor deformed creature (particularly stretching and squishing some bones of the skeleton so it will not be deformed for that action only). Whatever you want to do.

Have fun.

Edit:

Oooorrrr... I just got news of something. Not 100% sure if this is absolutely possible, but apparently body parts separate from the body model can have their own skeleton?

Fyi, that's a whole new ballgame for adding species. You could possibly make a whole new species model and skeleton (as long as the new skeleton has the same amount of bones, same bone names, and all of the animations that the original skeleton has). Just change the name of the exported model and skeleton to a mane or whatever else you guys are willing to sacrifice and try it out.

With this, you'll be required to do rigging, animating, UVs, textures, and masks. Not sure how you would be able to do markings though. Probably doing a preset would be the best option. You might actually need a preset anyway to hide the original model.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:57:49 pm by Alphabet »

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »
I just noticed that post right after I commented, so sorry. ;v;

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline Alphabet

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
You're fine, don't worry about it. c: Just making sure future posters will see my comment. I made the comment specifically so someone else can take on the project if they want to because I will no longer be doing it.