Author Topic: What would you do if you were asked for help role-playing? (RANT)  (Read 1194 times)

Offline GlaydrChyle

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Spotted Milkshakes
    • View Profile
Topic inspired by "Wolfspeakers: what do you think of us?" Go check it out.

This doesn't apply to everyone of course, there are many amazing groups out there that I've yet to discover and this is in no way aimed at everyone and or deemed to hurt anyone but more so a wee bit of criticism and a few things I need to get off my chest.

I know deep down the majority of us can say they "dislike" the illiterates in game. The Godmodders, power-players, wolfspeakers and even the foreign players (a small minority of us.)  This is most likely due to the fact that many if not most people love a good, sophisticated roleplay here and there. But what has started to get on my nerves is the fact that; people complain about illiterates and then do nothing about it.

I'm not saying you must do anything about it and also I acknowledge that half the time they do not "Need your help." However can't we say that there is a negative stigma attached to this? Which is no surprise considering that most who are illiterate are infact exactly that.

However, being a student teacher on an enrolment course I can't beg to you more no matter how much of an angry face I pull that they need your help. Of course if they wanted to get better. As someone who teaches (especially younger children) it just seems common sense needs to be applied here: if the child is having difficulties to learn then time needs to be spent to help educate or promote self teaching.

I'm not saying everyone SHOULD do this and MUST OR YOU'RE A BAD PERSON; no,no,no! I'm just having  a simple rant on the people who say. "I hate *insert group*" and then just sit there and laugh at them or poke fun! Is that the attitude people should be having?

I'm accented in real life, I also speak two different languages so it's common for me to say something that someone might not understand but all they have to do is ask me "Could you say that again please, I'm really sorry.". I mean, you don't get people laugh in my face or kick me out of the building for confusing a bit of German with my English every once and awhile; so why should it be different online?

The groups are often or not segregated. I don't mean all groups however, there are some groups who promote illiterates and literates to band together and they're fantastic. But then they are ridiculed for doing that? Well why? That one was more of a personal experience as most often I always get someone say to me "Oh.. why do you promote such behaviour I'm not joining I can't possibly join you get on my nerves" <---- *In snobby accent*

You get illiterates with illiterates and literates with their own which is fair enough but when you get a band of literates kick out an illiterate because they can't spell then can't you say that's not a little mean? yes guaranteed that you have a warning in your bio that says "For literates only" in fancy-shamnzy letters. But doesn't that just state that the person you're ridiculing wants to actually learn? You (maybe not you specifically, but someone out there) as a person hate people with illiteracy pestering you; then why don't you have something done about it? Lend a hand! teach them, help them for goodness heath. yes they are quite annoying but if you spend enough time with them they'll start to pick up on techniques to use!

The only way to reduce the populace of illiterate people my sweetheart is to teach them literacy.

But rant over; no... there are some fantastic groups here and it doesn't apply to everyone. Just please, I don't understand why someone could turn around and hate someone for something that can be taught to them? Literacy isn't that difficult my dears.

Anyway, thank you for listening, if you can or have any input on this I'd love to hear. But I suppose the main question we get from all of this is: If someone in game asked you to help them improve on their role-playing skills, where would you start and what would you teach them to do and why?

I guess I'd have them type out a block of text first and then evaluate what I need to teach from there,I'd then get them to edit a block of text over and over again and teach them little tricks and words they can use along the way. But that's just me.I understand not most people want to waist their time teaching others, so it's okay!

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do if you were asked for help role-playing? (RANT)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:07 am »
First off....thank you floof. This is a sad thing to see at times. People hiding behind the screens can act different than what they truly are. But I won't badmouth anyone that does this though because maybe they, too, just doesn't know how to properly teach and that's their only way to vent.

But before I go on a loooong explanation about it, I would just see how the person roleplays first. Everyone has a different roleplay style of course and what may work for some, may not work for others. Like race, it's diverse and forever expanding. I will then try and suggest different ideas and tips and have them practice. If they don't feel comfortable with it, then that's completely understandable. Learning can be hard and scary for some. Trying new things can be a life changer even.
But no matter what, praising the person for their efforts and willingness to try is always a good thing. It may not happen right away or even never at all, but at least they put the time and effort to try and you, the 'teacher' put the time and effort to learn.
There is no perfect way to roleplay of course  so there's always something else to try and experience.

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

ArcticGalaxy

Re: What would you do if you were asked for help role-playing? (RANT)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 07:03:59 am »
You really hit home here. This is so very true. It's really sad how people do all of this. We're supposed to help one another on this game and we are doing the opposite. This is a very good point indeed.