Author Topic: Texture Transfer mess up. [SOLVED]  (Read 2579 times)

Offline lillyp03

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
Texture Transfer mess up. [SOLVED]
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:38:49 am »
Okay so a summary of this is basically,
I dun messed up whilst moving some masks around in my FH folder.
I don't know how, because before the update n' stuff I did this stuff all the time. Guess I'm just rusty. lol

Anyways to what's the problem.

Small Info: I kept my old FH folder named 'Feral Heart' just because I had old textures from the old maps, etc. When I redownloaded it when the update first came out I had it create the main FH folder as 'Feral Heart NEW' just for my sake.

Now, I wanted to move some fur textures, eye masks, pawpad masks/textures and, some nose texture into current FH. I wasn't worried at all because I did this all the time usually, just switching around textures etc. Well, after getting the masks n' textures all copied and pasted on my desktop to move 'em into my current FH folder. I, of course made sure everything was named properly and had the correct .png or .jpg etc because I know that'll mess it up from previous exprience. But, I had missed the head fur textures .jpg to .png by accident. After rebooting and obviously realizing I went back and corrected it. What seemed to bug me was not that nothing was messed up yet but, after that the whole entire head was black. Not the eyes, body, tail, etc, just the entire head. Which got me confused, I had checked the .png/jpg, made sure all the masks were correct by comparing with my old FH folder and doing the same before I even moved the files. At this point in time I rebooted again because I had fixed the .png/jpg [I had fixed a texture I missed while switching them, specifically the nose one, the color wasn't showing up in-game for the nose, so I went through and realized one of the masks had the old default one still, so I edited it in gimp to fit mine. Which was the first reboot mentioned earlier. Which gave me the black faced canines (I was editing only the cmasks/cshades)] This time when I rebooted for the second time it booted up all nice n neat but, then when it came to the characters screen it froze, said 'FeralHeart.exe has stopped working...' so, used to getting this when I played around with textures I made sure to recheck AGAIN, because I'm known to mis-see stuff.

The reason why I'm writing this is because well, everything is still the same, exactly named correctly, .png/.jpg's all correct, all files that correspond to the other are edited like the others [New nose texture = fix the white area on the nose (Where I assume the color is placed via code to match up with the texture.)

Why I'm mainly confused is mainly because I DID NOT edit any notepad files w/ the code, just merely edited the textures so it fits up with the new ones, which is how I usually did it and it worked for the past 3 and a 1/2 years of my time on FH.

Thank you,
Xia

Also. I'm very sorry if I make little sense or rambling, or if everything isn't that neat.

I hope this makes sense to anyone and, if you are having trouble reading it I'll try and reply with a clearer version. I was just in a rush to get it out before I forgot anything important.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:05:57 pm by lillyp03 »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Texture Transfer mess up. Whelp.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:15 am »
Save all your custom files somewhere else, then try replacing them with the defaults. Does the canine still have derpy head and/or does the game still crash?
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:00 am »
I don't think ye did anything wrong, that is if ye were working with the old files. Try going FH<textures<masks and paste the textures inside there.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline lillyp03

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:11:48 am »
Edit2: I'VE COME TO A HUGE CONCLUSION. After replacing certain files at a time back into my new Fh folder [like just the textures or just the masks at a time then rebooting] I've concluded that the textures make it totally crash and the masks this time, the masks only, made the WHOLE canine's body black. Not the eyes though.

Edit: Kiki, it worked and it doesn't crash because it's basically back to default of course. But, nothing is altered like you said. It's just like it was before. [Before I added the other textures, just default lol]
For Kiki: I'll try that.
For Rose: They're already in the masks folder. [Was unmentioned]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:01:45 am by lillyp03 »

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:05:14 pm »
Ah, ok. 'Ave ye tried editing the image and saving it as a new file? Perhaps they corrupted?

Also, where is that old FH folder? If 'tis still in the same location of the new one, its files may be messing with the updated version of FH, which could explain y'er problems.

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:08 pm »
Adding on to what Enoki said, I'd highly advise you uninstall your previous FH (after moving any files you want from it to a different location of course) and then delete the folder once uninstalling is complete. I'd also give the new FH a reinstall afterward just so it's fresh and new before you attempt switching textures again. I've already made a few changes to my textures and masks and have not had a problem,  but I also made copies of the files I wanted from my old FH and uninstalled+deleted it before getting the new FH.

Offline lillyp03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:39 pm »
Edit: [After getting my textures, screenshots and all needed (from both), I got rid of the old FH, and completely redownloaded the game and naming it 'Feral Heart' instead of how I used to have it.]  The problem is officially solves guys! I did what ya'll said and dang if I'd be, the masks/fur textures I was transferring were indeed corrupted, re-exported them as the correct .png/.jpg and they work fine. Also found the solution to the nose not being correctly colored, I had colored it in white to match up with the texture instead of keeping it transparent. So instead of making it transparent and a .png it was white and not over-laying correctly because it was not detecting no transparency. Everything's all good! Great! Time to finish add in my textures.
Thanks guys, good to have this fix and now people can come by and solve maybe their own problem like this. lol

Thanks so much guys! Would've never thought of the files being corrupted.

-
Hm, I'll try both as said, and I'll comment if there's anything different! Thanks for the help so far.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:09:26 pm by lillyp03 »

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
Re: Texture Transfer mess up. [SOLVED]
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:49:41 pm »
Glad to hear that things 'ave cleared up f'er ye! Best of luck to ye and those textures.

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Texture Transfer mess up. [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:42 pm »
I will lock this up for you, since the issue has been fixed. Good luck with those textures!

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.