18 (64.3%)
No because I'm an ass
5 (17.9%)
I don't know
3 (10.7%)
Maybe
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Animal testing  (Read 4772 times)

Offline GemWolf

• Avani's Ninja Agent
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • play rain world
    • View Profile
Re: Animal testing
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 09:05:08 pm »
Okami, that is quite exaggerated or as Kyu said, where it took place didn't have strong laws against animal testing. Testers DO have limits, they can't go beyond those limits.
I want you guys to realize that animal abuse and animal testing kill the same number of animals a year. From what I have found, both animal testing and animal abuse kill about 60-100 million animals a year. The testing deaths consist of 70% rodents, 15% primates, and the remaining 15% consisting of farm animals, dogs, and cats. (These are the stats I got while doing research on the topic; they may be wrong.)
But testing is needed. It's safe to say that it will most likely never stop because of popular demand.

Offline Robin_Wolfieh

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Squawk?!
    • RobinCanisLupus
    • ask-stark-the-narkeen
    • View Profile
    • Imgur
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:17:30 am »
Animal experimentation. Generally speaking, even though Chimps are genetically closer to ours than other animals, remember they are still animals. We have technology to replace some animals that are experimented on. Question is, if technology keeps advancing and animal experimentation isn't completely relevant because of reasons, why are they still being used for some experiments?

You know, if half of these things we make didn't exist, so would be cruelty to animals. -but I am a bit torn between going FOR animal experimentation and against it. Because they are animals, results wouldn't be 100 percent accurate. We could use dead cells from humans or human simulators. I'm still wondering what does animal experimentation originated from? Hitler from torturing Jews? Germany? -but still, I know it's beneficial for experimentation to man-kind and it have done some good for a few years, but for how long will this keep up? At some rate, we'll experiment on them until they are probably extinct or through migration and cruelty doesn't stop there.

Off-topic Note: I am upset. I want to be a vegan for environmental purposes but I have to have my protein. The only meat that I eat is chicken. No beef or pork. Might as well stick with it, no one gives a hoot about animals in factories and slaughterhouses.

Ayyy~

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:25:39 am »
Off-topic Note: I am upset. I want to be a vegan for environmental purposes but I have to have my protein. The only meat that I eat is chicken. No beef or pork. Might as well stick with it, no one gives a hoot about animals in factories and slaughterhouses.

You allergic to nuts? Nuts have lots of protein, a lot of people who go vegetarian or vegan eat nuts to make up for some of the lost protein.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

12dollars

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 10:38:55 am »
Ugh Animal Testing makes me sick to my stomach
Its sad that some places are still using animal testing D8

ColonelHamilton

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:44 am »
We could use dead cells from humans or human simulators. I'm still wondering what does animal experimentation originated from? Hitler from torturing Jews? Germany? -but still, I know it's beneficial for experimentation to man-kind and it have done some good for a few years, but for how long will this keep up? At some rate, we'll experiment on them until they are probably extinct or through migration and cruelty doesn't stop there.
Animal testing has been going on since there have been scientifically curious people. I know there were doing some of it in the 1700s, at the latest.  We do not have the technology at this time that could replace an actual organism.

Also, many animals are bred specifically for testing, so there is no danger of extinction.

Offline Tigermoth

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »
I agree with Kyu... animal testing is a necessary evil unfortunately.

Offline okami129

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
  • Don't ever floof me! I hate floof, it's not a word
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 10:23:16 pm »
Cut off a monkeys head?! Ok now I'm creeped out. Also nice comparing. XD
I'm still wondering what does animal experimentation originated from? Hitler from torturing Jews?

And animals are bred to be tested on. What a life.

The liar and the thief

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 10:42:38 pm »
  They don't live their whole life there. As I said, there is a laboratory cat in our street. It did it's time in the laboratory, then they put it up for adoption. Or at least that's how I think it works around here. I mean, if an animal passes then they can't put it up for adoption...

But like pets, laboratory animals can't go through unneeded pain. If the animal is suffering then by law they have to give it pain releif, and make sure it get's all the vetinary attention it requires. Even a rat get's this treatment. Their lives are not as horrible as some would depict it.

And the choppping monkey's heads off thing was like a hundred years ago or something, really old.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Babe

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »
Well, after reading everything said, I think I'll come to the conclusion that it is necessary and any sort of videos are either edited or from another country where such laws just don't exist to protect the animal.

Offline Robin_Wolfieh

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Squawk?!
    • RobinCanisLupus
    • ask-stark-the-narkeen
    • View Profile
    • Imgur
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 01:59:49 am »

You allergic to nuts? Nuts have lots of protein, a lot of people who go vegetarian or vegan eat nuts to make up for some of the lost protein.

Nah, only thing I'm allergic to is moxicilin. -but why is the healthy stuff getting more expensive? I'm clueless to know.

Ayyy~