Author Topic: My Preset Is Causing Others To Crash  (Read 1625 times)

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • . care for a spot of tea?
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
My Preset Is Causing Others To Crash
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:49 am »
hiya!

at the beginning of this month, i started using my halloween preset for the first time. since then, i've received complaints about it from three different people that it was causing them to crash, and i'm honestly a bit stumped. i don't know a whole bunch about preset making or coding, so i'm not sure if there's a fairly easy solution to this.

the issue is that it only seems to happen with my halloween preset. both my regular preset and halloween preset have cartoon-y outlines however from my understanding others shouldn't be able to see those outlines. i've heard no problems with my regular preset, just my halloween one.

i've tried merging all of the layers i used and making sure they were all exported as jpg files, and i've just gone back now and re-did the material file (i copy and pasted from my regular preset, only altering the preset name), but i'm wondering if there might be a step i could have missed. i'm not sure if i might have to remove some of the details from it, since i've seen some incredibly detailed presets in game and nobody seems to have any problems with them.

thank you kindly in advance!

signature by me | icon by raspbearies
my preset!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: My Preset Is Causing Others To Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:55:24 pm »
The reason people are crashing from your Halloween preset is because they do not have the materials that correspond with the additional outline coding on your materials. If they choose to download the materials, they should no longer crash.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
The reason people are crashing from your Halloween preset is because they do not have the materials that correspond with the additional outline coding on your materials. If they choose to download the materials, they should no longer crash.
but you see, that doesn't happen with my regular preset that also has outlines. i was recently talking to somebody who experienced this issue with my halloween preset, and they claimed that my regular preset had no issues, but for some reason my halloween one made them crash. as well, i've had outlines on my regular preset for almost a month now, and i've never heard of people crashing because of my presets until i started using my halloween preset a few days ago.

my preset!

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:22 pm »
but you see, that doesn't happen with my regular preset that also has outlines. i was recently talking to somebody who experienced this issue with my halloween preset, and they claimed that my regular preset had no issues, but for some reason my halloween one made them crash. as well, i've had outlines on my regular preset for almost a month now, and i've never heard of people crashing because of my presets until i started using my halloween preset a few days ago.

Ahh, I see. Well, to the people experiencing crashing I still recommend installing the materials that include the outline code and such. That could end up terminating the problem. If after they install them, they are still experiencing crashing then it is something else with the preset that may be causing the issue.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 07:37:00 pm »
okay, i've tried removing some of the files i believe might be causing all of the trouble with my preset. if any one is still experiencing crashing after this because of teanovai_5 on the preset sync, please let me know, and i'll see if i might have to rid of the outlines all together. i'm deeply sorry for all of the trouble this has been causing so many people.

my preset!

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 12:03:45 am »
Is this preset two versions of the same number? They might not see your normal preset at all.. or they see an older version of your normal preset that might not have been using the special effects.

They could also just not be saying anything or not even know if it is happening to them.

Other people NEED these files (celShading & Cartoon Outline) to prevent them from crashing with these special effects! Here's a topic with links for them:
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62186.0
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »
Is this preset two versions of the same number? They might not see your normal preset at all.. or they see an older version of your normal preset that might not have been using the special effects.

They could also just not be saying anything or not even know if it is happening to them.

Other people NEED these files (celShading & Cartoon Outline) to prevent them from crashing with these special effects! Here's a topic with links for them:
https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62186.0
i have seen screenshots featuring my character taken by other people, and it most certainly looks like they have my normal preset, just without the lines. but yes, i think it's entirely possible people could be seeing my old normal preset from before i added the outlines, however i still see it with the outlines in my game. i'm wondering how i happened to end up doing that, however, since i had just always thought it was because they didn't have the lines installed and would just see the preset normally.

would i just need to upload the version without the outlines to the sync, export the file again with the outlines on my computer, use that one in my game, and will others still be able to see the one i uploaded to the website (the one without the lines) without crashing?

my preset!

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »
so i went ahead and took away all of the outline files from my halloween preset, as well as changed the material file to match a regular preset on feralheart, so from my knowledge everyone with the preset sync should be able to see it as you would any other preset. if you're still experiencing crashes because of it, let me know.

my preset!

Offline teanovai

• Dedicated Supporter
    • teanovai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 04:08:52 pm »
got a message from somebody that it was still causing them to crash even after removing the outline files, so i've moved all of my halloween preset's files to a seperate folder. if you're now experiencing issues with teanovai_6.fhp, let me know!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:11:45 pm by teanovai »

my preset!

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:48 pm »
would i just need to upload the version without the outlines to the sync, export the file again with the outlines on my computer, use that one in my game, and will others still be able to see the one i uploaded to the website (the one without the lines) without crashing?
This would work yes, but the ones that have your preset already (with outlines) would need to remove it so they can get the normal one. That or they could simply put the outline.material in the materials folder for FeralHeart so that your preset (and anyone else's outlined presets) works for them.
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.