Author Topic: Floppy ears  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Smilodoncat

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Floppy ears
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:44 pm »
The only kind of canine I ever really make on here are domestic dogs, so I end up using floppy ears a lot.

However I much prefer to use the bent ears if I can, because the floppy ears look absolutely nothing like a real dog's ears and look very awkward.

I think it would be nice if we could get some more realistic floppy ears, and perhaps some longer basset-hound style ears as well. However with Kovu gone, it doesn't look like that's gonna happen any time soon.

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 03:55:38 pm »
I have at least two avatars that have floppy ears. It really depends on what kind of style you want for the toon. However, I could understand why floppy ears aren't that too common to see around the game. Well, maybe for one, some people don't like the mesh itself. Often when you re-size or animate the ears, they come out appearing off. Another thing, I would think as mention before by a few people already, some players either find it tricky to work with like floppy ears in general or like to just to play wolf-looking avatars only.  

Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 05:04:16 pm »
Well, honestly I'm not a big fan of the floppy ears, since I can't pull them off. Where as, the slightly rounded ears/round-tip ears, I can make those look fairly decent. (I work best with the hyena ears and sharp ears.)

I haven't actually seen any FeralHeartian with the floppy ears, except for n00bs/trolls/etc. and stuff. And, besides one of my friends making a slightly-decent character with the floofy-looking ears.

I'd have to agree with ZombieKitteh and Queen Chrysalis on this one, the mesh looks awkward-and if possible-it could be rotated a bit more to look more realistic.

-Wolfie

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »
I really don't have any characters with the floppy ears, mainly because the floppy ears don't look too realistic. I have seen a few characters out there with the floppy ears, and it was because they were hound dogs, labradors, beagles, or any other dog breeds with floppy ears.
Inactive

Offline TheFeral10

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • You have to be smart. The easy days are over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »
I have to agree with Poh, its rather hard to pull off.

I have a picture of my character Lirit here. She's a shape shifter, depicted here in hound-form. Her appearance is loosely based off of a dog I used to have, Piddles, who was a dauschund and chow mix. (So needless to say, she looked "interesting" to begin with) Piddle's ears were more triangular but these were almost as good and I was putting my own twist on it anyway.

So far this is the only floppy-eared character I have kept. Most of the time if I make anything with floppy ears, they're about half the size I make the other ears, which is huge. Otherwise, if you make them too big they do look like hotdog buns. Thankfully shrinking them and ear markings help make it a little clearer as to what they are.

Lirit actually looks very nice, at least for me personally. Though I approve all of the opinions. Floppy ears are just not realistic. /I mostly do the sharp ears, normal ears and ripped ears./

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 10:06:43 pm »
I think the floppy ears just look weird unless put on a well made pup.  They look like hotdog buns to me and I have never got them to look right on my characters.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline okami02

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »
i have a character with floppy ears, he is not a dog though or a wolf but i think they look pretty good.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »
i have a character with floppy ears, he is not a dog though or a wolf but i think they look pretty good.

This is what happens when you use them RIGHT! :D No Hot Doggie Buns Here!

Those Glasses... Look like Harry Potter's too X]

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:45:45 am »
I have only one character with floppy ears.

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART